Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

left-side-cord.JPGbearface.JPGoldbear-length.JPGI bought this old fellow last year at a toy show.  The gal at the show thought he might be English, but I've had another dear teddy bear friend identify him as early American (which is actually what I'd thought).  Its an absolute longshot, but I was wondering if any of you might be able to help me ID him further? 

To me, some of his most distinct features are the fact I can't find any claws, nor signs he's ever had them.  The wool felt pads I believe are original.  A little rugged, but still in fairly good shape.  He's got the remains of a cord on his left side, between arm and leg (I've placed a purple post it over the cord so you can see), and there are red remnants under the mouth embroidery, possibly leftovers of a tongue. 

The eyes are brown with black pupils, glass, and slightly scratched.  They slide easily, and the mohair is worn behind them, so they maybe replacement eyes. 

I've actually purchased several teddy bear books in an attempt to match him.  Although some of the early stick bears come close, none seem to match.  He's got fairly distinct pointy, small feet...oh yes, and I've discovered a non functional growler when I was patting his chest. 

He's not going anywhere.  I've named him "Happy" because he simply makes me happy when I look at him.   bear_wub   I'm just curious as to who his manufacturer might have been....

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have no idea. but he's a cutie!

Good luck with your search

Heather

:hug: Thanks Heather  :hug:

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

He does look like a stick bear from the 20's...maybe English or American ?...I will look thru some of my ID books and get back to you on it....Dennis Shaw or John Port could probably ID him ..look for them in one of the teddy magazines ....Winney

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

He does look very like english bears made by Merrythought from the 20s to 40s.
they made bears without feet just sort of round pads during that period and the face is spot on, I cant swear to it but I would deffinately say 1920s ish English( but I am good at being wrong  :redface:  )

bear_laugh Estelle...with this particular bear, I've a feeling no one's going to be right, or wrong...he's just a guesser  :hug:   I was just hoping with his pics that someone out there might pop up and say "Hey, I've got one just like him!!!  And he's a ----- bear"  It was a longshot, granted, but I was hoping  bear_grin

I did send his pictures off to Ken Yenke with 'Teddy Bear Review', but I suspect the magazines are deluged with photos of old bears that people would like identified.

Board footer