Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hello!!

I want to buy a new sewing machine to sew my bears, and Dilu has been helping me  :hug: , but I can't bug her again!!   Poor thing!!   She's probably sick of me!!  (By the way Dilu, I'm in touch with the sewing machine man, he's going to keep a look out for a machine suitable for me!! - he's sold all the other ones!!)

I have noticed this on ebay UK, do you think it's a good buy??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … %3AIT&rd=1

I know a lot of you are Viking fans!! 

What do you think??

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

Hi Clare:

Husqvarana is a well made machine, however I would contact a viking/husqvarana dealer and find out if replacement parts are available for this years model, should anything need to be replaced down the road.  There is no manual, but it looks really easy to use. 
Laurie

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Clare, you made me laugh!

Ok I just looked at it....it looks a a good solid machine, and with a starting bid of 10pounds?  how can you go wrong....just decide what your absolute highest would be and ride it out.  Huscvarna, Vicking bought out Pfaff a few years ago.  They are a company that has been around forever, and have a solid rep.  It looks like something i would buy for myself.  If i wanted a good solid basic work horse of a machine.

dilu

PS don't be a sillikings- we all want to help you get the best machine for your money!  :hug:

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

Huscvarna, Vicking bought out Pfaff a few years ago.  They are a company that has been around forever, and have a solid rep.

That is why the machine is to heavy to take with.    Their machines are well made with metal parts, bear_thumb none of that rinky dinky plastic stuff.  I just took my singer in for the second time to be fixed, they had to replace the plastic parts with metal - cost $160.00.
How far away are you for shipping?  You could save on that by picking the machine up
Laurie

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Clare,

I have an old Husquvana sewing machine that I bought when I first started work ( many years ago)
and it is still going strong. The beauty of it, it does not need oiling with the plastic parts.
I have had it in to be serviced probably about 3 times.

I also have a new Bernina ( which I have to oil  once a week)  but so often I like going back to the old Huquavna especially with paw pads when I am using suede as any trace of oil from the machine can make marks on the suede.

Good luck if you do get the Husquvana.

bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

In honesty, I don't know a thing either about sewing machines, or about maintaining them.  Take them in for service.  Say what???

I bought a cheapie Singer machine that weighs ten thousand pounds and has two stitches... straight and zig zag.  It's the model used in high schools for teaching sewing to irresponsible teenager types.  Works great for making teddy bears.  And then there's my sister in DC, a Navy attorney, who doesn't sew a lick... and has some fancy, schmancy computer run machine that cost her, like, $2000.  The world is not a fair place, methinks.

What on earth are we supposed to be doing, in the way of "servicing" these buggers?

Thanks, folks...

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Close your eyes and bid on it! You can definitely bid blindly on it!
Malko heard about this brandt and told me this is a great one. They also make chainsaws and off-road motorbikes.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Shelli,

I've got an old White machine that's probably just a few stitches more advanced than yours. It's old and it's no beauty, but it's a solid hardworking beast.

All I do to maintain it, aside from blowing/brushing out the fluff and oiling the moving bits every month or so, is to take it to the local Singer retailer every two years. Every year would be smarter. They give it a good clean and checkup for very little $$, and the difference in smoothness of operation is amazing.

Eileen

Board footer