Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Sorry but I just had to vent!!!
I'm using some old leather I found and I'm having problems, it is slipping in the machine,
I ripped it out and used some paper under it and it is working better.
But now I have to sew the other foot..............
Thats not bad ,a hour a paw pad LOL LOL

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Tami...I'll do your paw pad, if you do my ears!!  Now there's a deal, 4 pads for 2 ears.

I hate attaching ears.

:hug:
Nancy

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

LOL   bear_grin
That won't work, I hate doing ears also!!!!!
Have any more suggestions?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Make dolls instead.

Laughing here...

You know I'm having the same trouble with leather pads even as I type.

Stay strong; it's worth it.  Louise can send you some of her Merlot, if she and Garnet haven't finished off the bottle yet, celebrating.

bear_original bear_original bear_original

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Thats true maybe if I was drunk  bear_wacko
It would be easy!
Wanna try it? LOL bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Well, Tami . . .

You could always make a one legged bear, or a peg-legged bear.  bear_whistle

I just got several pieces of champagne-colored goatskin from a guy on eBay. They're a perfect weight and texture, and I can color them myself.

Actually, I'll do ears and pawpads for anybody who will thread needles for me. I hate threading needles  :mad:

Eileen

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I think if we all got together we would make....one perfect bear artist !!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Nancy.... I think you are right!

I'll sew paw pads (OK, I hate doing them but my machine works like a dream on leather!) and I love to sew ears. I just went to the eye doc today.... no  longer 20/20 but I think I could still thread a needle. And if anyone wants noses sewn... I'm ready!

But I'd love someone to attach limbs in the right places and do the nuts and bolts. And stuff my head.... hate doing that! (The BEAR head!!)
Yup, if we all got together imagine the possibilities!

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to set up an assembaly line... each person assigned a job.... eyes, ears, nose, joints, stuffing, paw pads, etc. Imagine what a Nancy, Shelli, Sue Ann, Tami, Judi, Heather, Kim, Erin, Deb, Debbie, Shantell, Daphne, Kim, Danni, Kassity, Sarah, Eileen (oh.... I'll forget 30 people here, sorry) bear would look like!!! Hee Hee!

Tami - have you tried sewing with the leather up?

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

What would be my task though... hmmm.... not noses! LMAO.... I dont mind paw pads... I HATE HATE HATE sewing up the stuffing holes!!!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
Daphne wrote:

Tami - have you tried sewing with the leather up?

Yes, Yes, I tried that on the other paw and it worked a lot better.  bear_original
Thanks,
Hugzzzzzzzzz

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh the suffering you go through for your art!  All we need is th4e Seine, and a little garret at the top of a 400 year old building and of course the wine

Well, i guess we can have the wine and leave the Seine for our French friends

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  Dilu, I'm seeing a TT production of La Boheme. Mind-boggling!  bear_laugh

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Eileen... I'm with you on the needle threading thing!!!!! Since I am a hand sewing person, I sit there and thread like 6 needles before I ever start just to get that agony out of the way.  I hate it! 

Wow... this really seems to be the week for difficulties sewing paw pads on the machine!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

okay, so I'll thread the needles and stitch up the openings. But I'm not doing the ears!! LOL

Funny, how we all go thru the same process making bears! bear_tongue

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I had some very aggrivating problems last month when I made 2 little fleece doggie coats with plastic table cloth material on the outside...a raincoat! They turned out so cute but believe me.... I sure struggled a lot with them...and I use to make wedding gowns .... Ha!

So what I learned is...get a teflon foot ! It will save you an enourmous amount of time!

I did not buy one but what I did do that helped was to zig zag the very edges first.... even if it looks sloppy...dosn't matter...it will hold the edges together so then you CAN later stitch it without it " walking " all over the place.
You can also use a strip of tissue paper...like that thin gift paper you ca almost see thru..... Winney

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Tami, I really think the best way , at least for me, is to sew the pads by hand.  Get a leather thimble and leather needle.  It is very easy and dead accurate.

I do like the other suggestions though.....

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I hate hand sewing, tho, and don't feel my stitches are tight enough.  Does anyone have a secret to backstitching with confidence???

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Confidence is probably much to strong a word, but . . .

Handsewing with artificial sinew, when I have to handsew, works best for me. Since the sinew is a bit waxy, the stitches stay tight when you pull them tight.

Leather needles, or glover's needles, make a huge difference--I don't need a thimble, which is good, because if they're not falling off and flying into oblivion every few seconds, they give me a rash!

I've only got it the artificial sinew in 'natural' and black. The natural is a yucky yellow, the color of old chicken skin. I'm tempted to try dying it . . . has anybody tried this?

Eileen

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I don't much care for stuff the head...keeping it nice and symmetrical and the stuff all where it goes nice and firm but not too firm...I get impatient and want to start creating the face...the rest is cake!!!

Board footer