Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

AAAARGH!  Is anyone else here married to a wondeful fellow, who hasn't got either the patience or the "fix-it" skills of a flea and who won't step aside to let me do it, when I really don't mind!!!  Maybe it's a "maleness thing".  Honestly, every time that man picks up a tool, I have a two hour job to fix what he has done.  Over the years, I have learned through necessity to do most household jobs, from painting, caulking, moldings and laying floors and I do fine.  This afternoon hubby says he will caulk the back of the vanity in the bathroom and put new caulking beside the tub surround.  OMG - he cut the end of the cauking tube so high up it came out thick enough to fix cracks in the highway!!  After five minutes he calls me to come and see how it looks and I  try so hard not to say anything negative - I simply got a cloth and tried to fix it, before it starts to harden.  I am about halfway through and it's looking better already, when I hear him say - uh oh - this silicone caulking is really coming out thick and it's hardening fast - you better come see if you can fix it cuz I'm not doing too well here.  THATS THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY!!!  What a mess - I ended up waiting for it to harden enough that I could peel it off!   This is a great guy who can run a business that does over a million dollars a week with his eyes closed.  So gals, how DOES one tell your husband that you want total possession of the garage full of tools!!!!  He's gone back to Toronto till next weekend, so I guess I will be rushing to get all the jobs done before he comes home on Friday. 

Hugs,

Brenda

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Ah bless 'im!  bear_flower At least he thinks he's doing you right by doing the manly man, hubby bit.  Quite simply you don't tell him....definitely dash about doing all the odd jobs before he gets back....  and perhaps find a locking cabinet for those tools!!  bear_rolleyes

Dilu Posts: 8,574

awwww...Brenda, I think your fix of having everything done before he gets home is the best idea...I think you are right.  The maleness thing.

On our second date, he came to my house and looked at my fridge while I finished getting ready.  I came to find he had taken off the freezer door and had already finished rehanging the fridge door.  Of course we couldn't go until he finished rehanging the freezer door.  They were not  hanging straight you see...

I am very lucky, so far there seems to be nothing he can't conquer....which is a shame, because over the years I have gotten quite lazy, re: fixing things.

One time he had to go out of town for a week.  That same day I locked my keys in the car.

There wasn't a spare key where I thought I'd put it.  So I broke the car window to get my keys.  (We are in the middle of nowhere, you see.....and why I locked the darn door is beyond me, but after retrieving the keys, vacuuming up all the little pieces of glass, I took the car into town, over an hour away, and had the window replaced.

He gets back and says; "Why didn't you put this car in the garage and use the other and I could have fixed it for practically nothing." 

I asked where my spare key was, and he said he re-hid it....my place was too "obvious"

I pointed out that had he told me before leaving where he rehid it I wouldn't have had to break the window.

He said it wouldn't have done any good, as he hid it in the garage....which is always kept locked!

What?!  bear_wacko

Keep the honey hubby you have, dear Brenda, you've learned how to work around him. Being married to a Bob Villa may mean that things are always fixed, but it may also mean that his logic is in a totally bizaare and obsolete language....

:hug:

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ah, men!

My ex-hub was a chef... boy could he cook... which I can't and won't!
He had no idea which end of a hammer to use though! I did!!!! So we made a great pair from that sense.
Too bad it didn't work out in the end.

Now, my dear hubby is an engineer.... does know about tools and fixing some things but has no common sense, has to anylize things to DEATH and does everything the hardest and longest way possible. So mean while I could be running circles around him and getting twice as many things done. And neither one of us likes to cook! But, we're still married so there is something good going on here!!

I fix everything I can myself, never even mention it to hub so I agree that you should spend the time he's gone doing whatever you can that needs fixing and lock the tools up!!

I feel for you, Brenda!!! Leave him something foolproof (manproof) to do so he can still feel manly around the house!!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I'm lucky that my husband is handy because I'm definitely not.  He can cook too!  It all works out because I clean, do laundry and dishes. 

Brenda, at least he's trying.  bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Brenda, treasure that man of your. He may not be Bob Villa, (who I just had to Google as I didn't know who he is ) but he sounds a great guy who is willing to try, even if it doesn't work out. Some poor women are married to couch potatoes who just sit clicking the TV remote all day and don't get off of their backsides to help. My husband used to even make our furniture, I have cabinets, tables etc. all over the house which my husband made. He is not healthy enough now to do these things but he still does the smaller jobs around the house. I'm lucky to have a great family who between them gets everything done. My daughter even laid new tiles in the kitchen three weeks ago and it looks great.
I suggest that you preempt your husband to the jobs and keep just one step ahead of him. I had to smile at the mental images that I had whilst reading your message Brenda, although not funny really I could see him squirting the stuff on and you scraping it off ...sorry, as I said in another post I'm in a daft mood today!  bear_grin

Love him Brenda,  bear_wub

Hugs Jane   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Erin I have the same type of hubby, fixes everything and had even rescued a bear or two that I thought I had ruined for ife.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

My man is a fabulous professsional carpenter and joiner. He has worked on some very old and prestigious buildings..............
bear_happy
.........which is probably why none of my doors shut properly - my windows need replacing and that extension to the downstairs bathroom is still waiting to be started............
bear_whistle
obviously, i refuse to pay him!!  bear_laugh   bear_laugh   bear_laugh

Penny  :hug:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I am lucky too, My husband can fix everything and anything. But he too spends more time than me to do stuff, analyze it to death. But when it is fixed it is like brand new.
He even helps me design some bears and outfit them. He is quite handy!
He can drive me nuts too though as he considers it critique and I sometimes consider it criticism! He has learned to quantify it all with , but I love you!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Kathy,
    I just saw you post - how are you feeling - has the pain subsided somewhat?  Boy, that must have been awful, but it is sooo lucky you got the surgery to fix the problem.  Well, get lots of rest and try not to overdo it - hope you are feeling better.

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer