Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi there!  I've only ever used ultrasuede for paw pads on big bears.... but, I ordered a few lovely pieces of the wool felt material from right here at Intercal.  Do I need to line this with muslin, or interfacing, iron on batting... or do I just use it straight?  I'm sure that there are a couple of ways to do it.. just wondering what someone else's experiences are with it before I cut in....

Thanks a bunch!
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I use wool felt straight like it is... It doesn't fray and doesn't stretch :).
:hug:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Kim,

Let me know how you like the wool felt.  I've been wanting to purchase some myself but haven't done it yet.  I've been using the "cashmere" from my stash and am getting close to needing to replenish my pawpad supply.

I'm anxiously waiting for UPS today...MORE MOHAIR!!!!!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wool felt is my favorite paw pads material.  It takes color beautifully and stuffs nicely as well.  Easy to stitch.  I don't line it but someday I might as, with too much pressure, it CAN pull apart, and sometimes I stuff REALLY hard.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Questions for felt-paw experts (I just got some, hoorah!)--

If you're sculpting toes, does it tend to pull apart? Would a lightweight muslin lining stabilize it? Or would this make it harder to sculpt?

I guess I'm wondering how much I can make use of the "give" without risking destruction!

Eileen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I love wool felt!
I use it as is.
If you are sculpting toes it's very strong (we're talking about the WOOL felt here, not the poly or blend felt which, if you hold it up to a light is inconsistent in thickness and is pretty see thru.) I've never needed to line it and do think that lining might make it harder to get the sculpted toes you may be after. If you really wanted to line it muslin would be best... nothing adhesive if you are going to sculpt.
My two cents anyway.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh, you girls are absolutely fantastic!!!!! I don't think I'll get to the paws for another day or so, but it is great to know that the 100% wool felt has such rave reviews!!!!!  There are so many lovely colors of it too!   

Shantell... I'll be happy to give you my own personal  "review" of the stuff when I'm done using it.....  I'm almost sure that I will love it,  based on the enthusiasm I'm hearing here!

Now... here's the confession... belive it or not, I got to the wool felt page, thinking it was actually ultrasuede.... I mean... It's totally my own stupidity, it says 100% Wool Felt right there!!!!! Anyway, I started looking at colors and picked out a bunch.... one for a commission I'm working on!  Ordinarily, I wouldn't do too terribly much experimentation on a commissioned bear, but now that I have the stuff, I'm just dying to use it.  Happy accident, I guess!

Kim Basta
Wild thyme Originals

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I've used wool felt on a few of my bears...I thought it was terrific for normal paws, but I tried to sculpt another bear and it pulled thin in areas...it was a medium size bear, but just watch out for that problem...If I used it again I would line it...but thats just my experience!
Good Luck :)
Hugs Sarah

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

One other aspect with the wool felt is that it will take the dye beautifully.  If you are having trouble finding a color to match your mohair just get out your dye, paint, copic marker, whatever!
If any of you have worked with antique bears or done any repairs you will see just how strong the wool felt is.  The moths tend to have a good time with paw pads as with mohair but hey after 100 years what do you expect?
Donna

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I love wool felt..it gives around the pad curves better than ultrsuede and it has a soft look to it.. I also like the way it works on my very tall  20" bears ....when I fill the feet with plastic or zinc  coated daisy shot...in this case I line the feet with muslin for strength....Winney

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

After reading  this topic a month ago, I tried on my next bear. A 4-1/2" tall small bear using wool felt for paws. 
I like it  bear_original 

7th_teddy_bear.jpg

Board footer