Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

1.jpgfinally I made it..you should know how happy my hubby was! I haven't made borsch for 2 monthes!!

I thought I'm not really good at explaining so i took pictures..I know, Dilu, you love picture..

Well, let's getting sterted.
One of the important thing is meat. I usually use porks leg part..don't know how do you call it ...just down the pork's knee.. bear_whistle

You have to make broth (did I spelled it right&) it will take about 4-4.5 hours or just untill the meat comes the bone easily.

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

2.jpgThen, after 4-5 hours your meat should look like this.
I ususally do it before hand, in the evening, while everybody is asleep and I'mm posting here.. bear_whistle
Next day I finish the borsch.

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

3.jpgnext day I prepare the needed vegetables.
I like my borsch without cabbage, but my mom love the cabbage in borsch. Just a matter of taste..
You see here potato, carrot, garlic, onion, red sweet peper and the important one! - beet.

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

5.jpg4.jpgGrate carrot, beet cut onion and garlic.
First I fry a bit carrot + onoin + pepper then add beet.

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

7.jpg6.jpgPut cut potato and boil then take out the meat and cut it into portions.

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

9.jpg8.jpgNow add a bit fried vegetables and let it cook for about 10 - 15 min. Don't overboil the borsch or it will change the color.

then add grated garlic and seasoning. I use black pepper, bay leaf andspecial seasoning for borsch.

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

10.JPGIf you need some borsch seasoning just PM to me and we'll see what iIcan do.. bear_wub  :hug:

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Oh Julia, I can taste it already. I will have a go at this one for sure,I love soups. Is the seasoning one that I can buy in Scotland????.  Thanks for the Recipe.  Hugs Rita xxxx

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Rita, thanks,
I'm not sure about the seasoning you have in Scotland..sorry..
I can send you if the customs is OK (just need to check)..

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What's it called, Julia?  Or what are the ingredients in it?  If it's some kind of curry, or seasoning salt, or whatever, we may have something equivalent here in the US, or Rita might in Scotland.  Can we have more information on what this seasoning is...?  Is it just called, like, SEASONING FOR BORSCHT? 

I sent the link to this thread to my dad, who loves borscht.  He made it for us once, with tons of cabbage (ew), which smells poopy to me, so I didn't like it much.  But your recipe looks grand!

I'm sure this thread will be thoroughly grossing out the veggies on the board, however.

Giggling here...

bear_original

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Shelli, I'll check the ingredients of that seasoning..

YES! I thought so too,,,sorry veggies, really.. bear_wub  bear_whistle i, myself feel sorry for that pork too..poor thing..but so yummy...sorry again...

I don't like cabage in borsch at all too!

Erin are  you a veggie?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Darling Julia-  I think i smell it.  Your pictures are fantastic.  You are such a dear sweet lady to do this for us....I'm hungry.....

Pick me up at the airport OK?  bear_grin  bear_grin  :dance:

dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Julia, you've added photos since I was here this morning.  My dad has visited this thread and can't wait to try your REAL Russian Borscht!  He spells it with a "t;" are we incorrect in that?  I assume you'd know, since it's from your homeland!

I can tell you I've never seen a packet of seasonings like THAT one, but the recommendation to use pepper and bay leaves will help. Maybe our local gourmet kitchen store, or even Cost PLus, which carries a lot of international food, can help.

THANK YOU!!!

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Dilu, I felt guilty cause I couldn't make borsch for such a long time..
I would love to pick you up just let me know when! :hug:  bear_wub

I spell it like BORSCH and I think it's correct but in States (as far as I rememmber I saw BORSCHT in resaurants menus..) I don't think it's a mistake..

БОРЩ - that is in Russian. :hug:

Originally, it's not Russian it's Ukrain's national soup..but yes, Russians love it.
By the way, you can make borsch without any meat, just vegetables.

boil water, add cut potato, then the rest is the same. For this veggie's borsch you should put extra seasoning.  bear_wub
I cook this kind of borsch for my little daughter.

I forgot to mention...when I made a broth I leave it on the stove till the next day.
if you leave in a hot country then please use the refrigirator..

Next day I gather all fat from the top of broth
I use it when frying vegetables. (not all of it just a little, the rest is yuck..)

I checked the saesoning.
Here are the ingredients:
parsley
caraway seeds
juniper
celery  it's not all some ingredients I daon't know.. bear_whistle  :redface:

I think you may use black pepper, bay leaf, garlic, and fresh dill.
I eat borsch with mayonesse, or sometimes sour cream...either way is delisious.  bear_thumb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_tongue Yummmmmm!!!!!  Your pictures make everything so clear, and I think I could even tackle this one  bear_thumb   But I would have to change some of the veggies bear_laugh   Sorry, but no way am I eating a beet!!!  bear_tongue  bleah!   I do love cabbage (but it makes the house stink), and I do love cauliflower.  Oooh, and all those seasonings to play with. 

I can see this would be a wonderfully warming soup to have on the stove during the winter... just right after playing outside in the cold  bear_thumb   Thank you so much for sharing it Julia  :hug:

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Debbie, you are welcome.
You know, you really don't taste actuall taste of beet in borsch..it's totally different taste..
just give it a try..
:hug:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Wow the real BORSCH !!!  bear_whistle Thanks for posting Julia !!   :hug: 
I love "Borsch" so much but never thought of making it .
I hard it's HARD to cook and it is hard !!!  bear_laugh  but I  love to try it !  bear_thumb

WE call that " BO-LU-SHI-CHI" (wich is wrong...)and it's very famous .  bear_wub
Hugs/Marie

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Julia, thank you for going to the trouble to take the pictures and share your recipe with us! :hug:  I looks wonderful, I can't wait to try it! Mmmmmm.    bear_tongue

hugs,

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Girls, your are welcome!!
Bonnie, do try you'll love it

Marie, I know that borsch is very popular in Japan.. bear_wub  :hug:
i-ta-da-ki-masu!!!!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Julia your new avatar is very beautiful! bear_wub

I think I will try the borsch this weekend. I can hardly wait to taste it.  bear_flower

hugs,

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Erin and Bonnie, thank you..
Everybody is getting a new avatars so I desided to change mine too..  bear_original  :dance:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Julia, I like your new avatar, too.  It's really gorgeous.   I really have to go to bed - it's almost 3:00 a.m. Night, night

Hugs,

Brenda

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Brenda!
good night! :hug:  bear_wub

I just saw your new avatar !! WOW!! that's MASTER-PIECE!! bear_thumb  bear_wub

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Thanks, Julia!

What a yummy recipe . . . we live in a neighborhood full of Eastern European delis, and I'm going shopping with a piccie of that seasoning packet in hand.

Eileen

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Julia thanks so much for posting the recipe of your Borsch - so great having the photos and step by step.
I am looking forward to making this ... always great to have a big pot of soup on the stove.

I don't think I have mentioned how lovely your new Avatar is! So many other great Avatars also -
Great work.

Hugs Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer