Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I recently stumbled upon the "Ultimate Stuffing Tool" which my bearmaking friend, Donna Mettling, sells.

I'm not much of a tool hound and mostly just make do with... whatever works.  But I found the little gripper ends, and the feel of this wooden handle, miraculous when it came to stuffing my bears.  So much so that I ordered a second, custom-length stuffer with a shorter handle from Donna even though the first one is still perfectly good!  Now I can use both.  Plus, the longer one helps me adjust the volume on my hutchtop CD player, without having to stand up even the slightest bit!  Two birds with one stone!

If your stuffing tool is performing at less than you might have hoped, give this one a try.  You can reach Donna at:  donnasduinbruins@mindspring.com

PS  I used to use a T-handled, wooden, stuffing stick.  It worked well but didn't grip the polyfil and ultimately the handle came loose from the stick.  Glueing it didn't fix it.

What do you use to stuff your bears?  I'm sure mini makers use very different implements.  Although I must admit, the little brass fitting on this Ultimate Stuffer is only about 1/4" across and could fit a very tight space indeed!

ellen ontario, canada

shhhhhhh!  don't tell anybuddy (especially Donna!) but...... my hubby (the dear lad!) made me a stuffer stick just like yours out of an old brass screwdriver.  if you have the man with the right tools you can get anything!!  HAAAAAA!!
and thanx for the picture Shelli - it inspired him to make mine.
bear_original

ellen ontario, canada

oops!  i forgot to mention - i used to use an extra skinny rubber spatula to stuff.  the rubber helped grip the fibrefil better - and the other end got into small places.  but now that i have the ultimate stuffer tool there's no looking back!
it's mahvellussssssss!
bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I use  my fingers, a at times wide needle nose pliers and rheostats...I need to " feel" whats going on in that deep dark hole..
I mostly use my fingers...it seems when I start using hard tools to shove stuffing in...all I get is problems with lumpy bumpy stuffing and  pockets of air here and there..aghhh ! ....Winney

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

It looks like a smart thing that thingy! I want one! lol But I have no use for it I think.. Hehe, when I make my mini bears I use a tweezers. Think that works best.. But you´ll never know.
Wonder if I can get my dad to make me one that looks like that, just to try... bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use a tweezer or my hemostats to stuff and I use a teeny funnel to funnel my pellets in

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Shelli and everyone !
The stuffing is my biggest trouble always...
I like to stuff just :farm: not too hard like
a :rock: but it is very hard to stuff  as *even look* for me. I'm using T-handled, wooden, stuffing stick for the nose area because I like to stuff gentry for nose, and  I use cotterkey(is this correct spell?) for other area. Cotterkey is the tool for cotter pin joint. It can smash the stuffing
faster but problem is cotterkey are  big and  too strong , it can break the mohair easily and I just made a hole in 2ankles recently.....
I love to try the "Ultimate Stuffing Tool".  too !
I just sent a e-mail to Donna, I hope she will accept order from Japan too. if not I will cry and :(
stick with what I have now. he he
Shelli thank you for pics and informations!

Winney, you are so amaze !! You use your finger
to stuff ? I wish I had that magical fingers on my hand too ....

Thanks,
Marie

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

mini.jpgHi Guys,
Thought I'd jump in on the chat about stuffing tools. As I make bigger bears, I use the wooden "T" handle stuffing stick too, and it does the job okay, but I would love to have a swing at that Ultimate stuffing tool Shelli! May just order one...
For those mini makers who are still looking for the ultimate stuffing stick.....I have some of these new mini stuffing tool sets on my teddy bear making supplies website. I haven't tried them myself because I haven't made a mini in a while...but Jennifer Laing says they are the best thing since sliced bread, so that's quite a recommendation!
They are on the Bear Necessities page in the catalogue, near the bottom of the page.
The Bear Cupboard

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hayley, thanks for sharing about your bear shop tools.  It's great to have a member that's not just a bearmaker, but a supplier.  As someone said in another thread, no one supplier has every version, of every single thing, that a bearmaker might want.  Options:  They're a very good thing.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi All,
I am new to the board.  Shelli is forcing me to become active.   I am the person that sells the Ultimate Stuffing tool.  One other thing I have discovered with this tool is that it will also work as a stuffing tool when using excelsior.  I use excelsior when doing repairs on old bears and the stuffing claw that is recommended for excelsior always made me nervous with the old frail mohair.  I was always afraid the points of the claw would go through the fragile fabric.  With the Ultimate Stuffing tool, I no longer have that concern.  So those of you who use excelsior in the nose area of your new bears would only need one stuffing tool.
Thanks,
Donna

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

A big welcome to the board, Donna!!  Glad you became active . . . the stuffing tool you have looks wonderful.  Does it come with a shorter handle?  Hope you have fun here . . . we're all a little on the goofy side sometimes! bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Donna!!!!
Glad to have you here!

Thanks for pushing her Shelli!!

Daphne

Burbank, CA

Hi SueAnn,
The Ultimate Stuffing tool comes in two lengths now (thanks to Shelli).  The original length is 11.5 inches.   It has a four inch wooden handle with a 6.5 inch shaft and the tip is an inch.  It is the tip design that really moves the stuffing into all those nooks and crannies. 
The new shorter version is made the same with the shaft being just four inches.  For a total length of 9 inches.
I started with the wooden stuffing sticks and have used cotterkeys for stuffing.  With these I had pockets and was always puttings holes in the fabric.  I have used forceps for trying to fill in the pockets and to move the stuffing to the little tight places.  Again I would put holes in the fabric and would cause nerve damage to my thumb.  Now I use my fingers and my Ultimate stuffing tool and get a much better stuffing job without holes being poked through the mohair.  I tend to be a brute while making bears!
Donna

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hey, be nice now!  I did no such "forcing."  I just sent business your way, Miss Donna Mettling!  bear_tongue  It's those pesky TEDDY TALK folk, writing and bugging you, that are forcing your appearance here... :D

That said, though... I'm so glad you signed up!  Welcome!

Burbank, CA

Shelli,
You are a force in the teddy bear world, and I feel there are several that have felt your influence to get off their duffs.  This is not a bad thing!  Keep up the force!

Bear Hugs,
Donna

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Donna,
Welcome to Teddy Talk :D
and Thank you for accepting
international shipping order.

I just order 1 shorter
Ultimate Stuffing Tool bear_grin Yey!!

Hugs/Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears