Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I am interested to know what you all think...though perhaps we've done this one before to a certain extent, it doesnt hurt to revisit ..especially when we have so many nice new folks on board!!!

Having just had a rabbit not reach his reserve on ebay I am slightly disillusioned with it (again!!!!) ...but then my daughter pointed out that I have just sold quite a few bears so maybe it conflicts with ebay as people won't bid on an item if they think they can just buy it.

I think that maybe I can't put bears on ebay successfully if I also have them for adoption on my website/fairs etc. She also says that I only ever put a bear on ebay when he doesn't sell at a fair...which is not always true (and caused a huge heated argument yesterday but she is probably hitting the nail on the head...little smarty-pants!!) and that I should put only the ones I can sell over and over again on there...but they always go very quickly to collectors and I feel I owe it to them to offer them my premium bears.

Oh what to do , what to do....

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

hmmm a tricky one Jen  bear_ermm

I would carry on with the eBay auctions, they are a superb form of advertising and keeps your profile up. Collectors can see your work and maybe they will bid or maybe they will wait until the bear is offered for sale from your website.

I think what really matters is that your bears sell like hot tatties Jen no matter where they are offered for sale

Penny  :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Penny...it is an interesting thing though that the people who sell only through ebay get most interest in their auctions.

It's true I am in the fortunate position..(and I pinch myself regularly as i can't believe that it's happened) of having lovely collectors who want my bears ...and other creatures..in their collections... However in order to keep ahead of the game I try to stay 'out there'..and sometimes staying out there can mean that all too obvious disappointments become public knowledge....so can that damage ones reputation?

I shall keep on trying with ebay regardless.....watch this space!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I agree about using ebay for at least the advertising aspect. I kind of have the opposite 'problem'. I only sell on ebay as I have only recently got back into bears. I have been lucky for people ask me to do commissions. I've got the time and inclination but.... how much do I charge? I don't want to undervalue my ebay customers who have been the ones to help me build my bears up. At the moment I'm stalling and seeing what prices they go for so I can set a fair price to my ebayers and potential 'other' customers. Its a balance I suppose, but I have'nt got it yet. I will be interested to see what others do in this situation from both sides of the ebay/website debate. Thanks for posting this Jenny!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
jenny wrote:

I try to stay 'out there'..and sometimes staying out there can mean that all too obvious disappointments become public knowledge....so can that damage ones reputation?

I shall keep on trying with ebay regardless.....watch this space!

Dear Jenny... we all know that ebay is a strange creature!  Just a wacky place quite often!   bear_wacko   For example... I had an auction end last night and this morning I have 3 e Mails in my in box from folks in the midwest who were unable to bid last night due to the blackout and awful weather that much of that region experienced last night.  Sometimes it just comes down to a quirky thing like that!
I won't even  pretend to understand the economics  of it all.... as far as selling via auction vs. website vs. shows....  I know that for me... When I am taking a look at how I am doing financially..... I look at my average sale price over a 6 month period and go from there. 

I don't think that there's any damage to be done to one's reputation from a poor eBay outcome.... I think that all artists, and probably the overwhelming majority of collectors realize that eBay can be extremely quirky.  There are just so many factors involved!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
WildThyme wrote:

I don't think that there's any damage to be done to one's reputation from a poor eBay outcome.... I think that all artists, and probably the overwhelming majority of collectors realize that eBay can be extremely quirky.  There are just so many factors involved!

Exactly.  I have had bears not sell on ebay many times.  Then have had the same bear go through the roof when I listed it later.  It only takes ONE person to buy a bear so it all comes down to that one person seeing your bear...whether it is on ebay or your wesite or somewhere else.

Case in point:

I have had a bear on my website for ages.  His name was Bongo and no one even emailed with any interest in him at all...until Abracadabra Bears contacted me to buy three bears for thier shop/website.  Well, Bongo sold (for twice my price) the first day he was listed on thier site. bear_wacko

Exposure  Exposure Exposure.  Get it where ever you can!

Jenny, your creations have the most endearing expressions!   Never ever lose faith in yourself!!!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Jenny,
                   I have had no luck on e-bay at all really 2 bears in about 8 that I have put up. I did start them very cheap too, but its quite soul destroying when they don't sell. I sell from my web-site now , but having no luck on e-bay has put me off altogether.  Maybe its just my bears, I have no idea. 

Hugs Rita xxxxx

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I love your bears...and want one as you already know.  It's funny...I'd rather buy one outright than have to go through the hassel of the auction.  I'm one of those instant gratification people I think.  I don't get all worked up over the adrenaline rush of the auction...all it does is piss me off when I DON'T win.

However, there are others who think they will get a better deal going through the auction process...which I think is mixed...it depends on that particular auction.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do both...meet the needs of both customer...those like me who would rather just BUY IT NOW...or those who love the "DEAL". 

It's a win/win situation...and if you have your website on your ABOUT ME page then interested customers will check it out.  I do...

Shantell

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Jenny, I'm so glad that you asked your question. (By the way, I just adore your work!)

I just started doing ebay as a last resort to see if I could revive my bear business. My thoughts were that even if my bears did not sell, putting them on ebay would give me more exposure. For me it has worked because after 18 years in the business, my work has been in books and magazines many times, but due to my ebay exposure I am being discovered for the first time by many collectors.

I also wondered how I could sell on my website and on ebay at the same time because why would someone bid high for a bear if a similar one was also available on my website. Well, the ebay collectors solved that one for me. My highest bids were not for my mini bears but for my larger OOAK bears and pandas. So my problem was solved. I make my larger OOAK bears just for ebay auctions and I make my smaller bears for my website. No conflict.

I know that wouldn't work for most artists but, so far, that's the solution that's getting my bills paid.
I totally agree with Judi: exposure~ get it where ever you can.

Bear Hugs~Kathy

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Jenny, just wondering... do you list on eBay.uk or eBay.com? 

I checked out your current auction (adorable by the way  bear_wub ) and saw it was listed (on the .com site) in  Dolls & Bears> Bears> Artist> Other  I think that's where they end up on the US site when you list them thru the UK site.

If you go directly to the US site to list, then you have the option to list in:   Dolls & Bears> Bears> Artist> Artist, One of a Kind.  I know a LOT of teddy bear eBayer bidders ONLY look in the One of a Kind catagory.

Board footer