Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I've been making changes here and there to patterns...drawing up new ones and just generally playing around and having fun.  BUT (you knew that was coming, didn't you) when it's all said and done my little dumplings all look the same.  If I didn't know I'd change it I'd think it was the same silly pattern.   I'm not complaining I like that hopefully they are becoming recognizable.

Does anyone else encounter this?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm jealous.
Every one of my bears looks totally different from the other. I don't mind it, but I have no 'look' to speak of. I think it's better to have a look. But I for now, I'm stuck with what I"ve got.

Shantell, looks like your little bears are going to come out no matter what you do. Just go with the flow. You make awfully cute bears!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Simple answer:  YES! 

:)

I think once you've been making bears for a while your "style" just forces its way through no matter which pattern you use.  That is, unless you try something completely, 180 degrees opposite of what you've been doing.  Even then, though -- like when I tried an anime bear -- I've heard that it "looks like a Potbelly Bear."  So maybe we're just stuck with that particular creative process that makes one of our bears, truly ours.

I have tried reviewing patterns in the library of bearmaking books I've got, to see how other artists have interpreted proportions and shapes... and then have modified my own patterns after that.  That seems to help noodge me out of my personal groove sometimes.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Even using Nancy Tillberg's pattern for the challenge we did a while back with her on NCTB.... it still ended up looking very much like MY bear.

There is nothing you can do about it, my dear!! bear_original :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Melanie, you have a very distinctive -- and, might I add!, very darling -- style, which makes your bears, more than many, actually, VERY recognizable as your own.  Something in the proportions, and the noses.  So I think you're in a fine position to draw conclusions.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I completely agree with Shelli...Melanie your bears are darling and very distinguishable. 

Interesting how our own inner personality comes out in our bears.  I'm surprised mine haven't grown little devil horns yet  bear_innocent   bear_innocent   I was recently (just last night in fact) told I was stubborn and ornery...HOW RUDE!!!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I think your own personality will always win through and your bears will always look like yours Shantell.
I try loads of different pattern designs and they all look like i made them, whether that is good thing or not i dunno, but i can't change who i am nor do i want to and i think this comes across in everyone's work.

Personally, i like it like that too.  bear_thumb

You bears are lovely Shantell keep making them!

Penny  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I also think that each artist develops a 'style' or 'look' over a period of time . . . after all, that creation contains the soul of the artist.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Now see, I think my older style bears look totally different from my contemporary (sp?) bears and my miniatures are completely different again....... am I odd - oh no, please don't answer that!!!   bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

No Clare.... I wish I could make my traditional bears look traditional bears and my contemp ones just that but I'm afraid they all still look the same.

My needlefelted bears, on the other hand, look nothing like my mohair bears, no matter how hard I try. Is THAT normal???

clare14 Country Bears
England

bear_laugh  bear_laugh   At least you know what needle felting is Daphne, I tied myself in knots earlier today talking to a work colleague about bears, and tried to explain what it actually was.......oh dear, I haven't a clue.......all I know is it's wool......and sharp needles.......I quickly skimmed over the explanation and started to talk about all the wonderful creations you all make - phew you all saved my bacon!!!    :hug:  :hug:  bear_laugh

:redface:  :redface:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I tried and tried for a style and it just kind of happened... I dont try anymore... I try to do traditional bears but they still look like my regular bears LOL...

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I still haven't gotten my groove although I think my dogs are starting to develop their style.  I will just keep going with whatever happens.

Board footer