Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

Does anyone feel that teddy bear artists are dieing out? I read that the Melbourne Teddy Event was cancelled due to lack of numbers. I'm really worried be because I have just started out and there won't be any shows to go to.  bear_sad

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh Sam like all things they swing up and then swing back down.
If you hang in there things wil swing back up again.  It is the waiting that can be the hardest but it usually culls the serious from the in it for a quick buck.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Sam I think it;s quite the opposite...there are a huge amount of artists and it's maybe that the mass of fairs that have sprung up everywhere (here at any rate) filled with (please don't shoot my down in flames for saying this!!!) fairly mediocre bears and tatty manufactured goods put the real artists off signing up....because collectors won't attend if they think that there will be nothing inspiring to buy.

But things will revert to a few exclusive and successful fairs when the organisers learn that quality and innovation along with artistry is what collectors want...not piles of cheap plush toys that you can buy in the supermarket.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Sam, I feel the way you do, but hang in there, things will come back sooner or later. 

I was at the Melbourne doll show at the weekend, poor bear entries in the comp there. It's a shame.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hi Sam,
Don't be too discouraged! The Melbourne Teddy Event was finished up because the lady who had been running it was just plain burnt out after close to ten years running it. But a lady named Brenda Tranter has stepped forward with heaps of enthusiasm and her first show called The Melbourne Teddy Show is coming up on May the 7th followed by a second show in October. I have some entry forms for the comp if anyone would like one emailed to them.
There is also the big Jupiters show in June and Bears in Brisbane in September followed by The Australian Bear Convention the following week on the Gold Coast.
Lisa Dopking is hosting tha Australian Bear Awards competition which will be judged at Bears In Brisbane and the awards presented the following weekend at the convention. There will be workshops in the week between the two. I understand there will be an award for Australia's Best Bear as well as a similar award for the best International Bear.
The way we can best help the industry shows to survive is to enter the comps, take a table or at least attend the shows. Every little bit helps.
Lisa and her friend Lyn Kilmurray are putting a huge effort into these shows in September so we should all do what we can to support them.
Maybe some of our TT friends here will consider entering the competition??? It's a great way to hear some constructive critisism about your work!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Sam, I just started too and I was wondering the same thing.  Just do it because you enjoy it and the collectors market will come to you.

Board footer