Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

How could I have forgotten to check it out earlier?
I learnt only today that there is a taxidermist in a town only a few minutes far from my home!
They even have a website and an e-mail address. So I e-mailed them.

What kind of interesting items can we get from a taxidermist for teddy bear making out of eyes and special strong threads? claws? teeth? what else?

Have you ever bought such special materials?

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sophie, I use glass bear eyes from Van Dykes Taxidermy.  For an example see my Sherwood Bear in the Showcase.  He is also the brown bear in my avatar.

These glass eyes are wonderful.  I don't use claws from a taxidermist.  Remember these items are for life sized animals so I would imagine the claws would be much too large..unless you were to buy claws that would be used for a smaller animal.  I make my own claws from polymer and am now experimenting with resin.

Eyes are the only item I use from  taxidermist.  Anyone else?

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I know that Nancy Tillberg states in her book that you can use the artificial mouths (like a jaw set?) that they sell for small animals to do open mouthed bears... I've never tried it because my bears are so unrealistic, but I think that it looks really cool! 

Beary truly ours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I have their catalog..its FREE... there are many interesting supply items you could use for bears.. The smallest jaw set is the racoon one..it is small enough for a ted I heard....Winney

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Winney, do you mean Van Dykes Taxidermy catalog is free?
Good to know!
But I will wait first to get in touch with my local taxidermy shop. Maybe they would have supplies for cheaper prices...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

White City, Oregon

Yes...its FREE and so is the other one whatever its called...do a search on Google....Winney

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Well, the taxidermist I am talking about has only got a workshop, according to their website.
So I am not sure they sell some supplies.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I have three taxidermist cataloges now and want to order to make some realistic bears.

Judi can you tell me which eyes you like and what color and size? It gets a bit over whelming and I don't want to end up with a bunch of stuff I can't use. I would love to hear about what others have used and liked.  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php … 214#p36214

These eyes came from Van Dykes and are from the fish section.  I also get eyes from the mammal section.
Think you've seen these before, Shari.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shari,
I use item number  100229 Bear  ASPW eyes.  When you order any type of eyes with sclera (whites) you need to keep in mind the base size along with the iris size.  The iris size is actually more important.    Lets say I normally use a 12mm eye for a particular bear.  If I wanted to use taxidermy glass eyes with sclera I would need to order the 16mm base with iris size 12mm.    There is a chart listed along side the eyes.  The 12mm/16mm base cost $6.50 a pair but they are gorgeous.  The eyes on my avatar Sherwood are very large and they were $7.20 a pair.

Does this make sense?

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Yes I remember Sue Ann, thanks  bear_grin

Judi, yes it all makes sense,thanks for giving me item numbers to focus on. :hug:  :hug:

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

I am like Judi I use the taxidermy eyes as well - until recently. I got some colored eyes from here. also have used  jaws. It is real cool the jaws, but the tungs tend to stick straight out. Looks like the bear is sticking his tung out at ya.  bear_grin 
I have tried many different ways to soften it so I can poss it, but I am still working on it. When I figger it out I will let you know. Unless someone else has done it. 

Hugs Kassie

White City, Oregon

Maybe you can use a Dremel tool and cut the tounge out then repleace it with an ultrasuede one ?...Winney

Board footer