Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I have to say, reading through all these posts has made my head spin!!! bear_grin And I'm already dizzy enough! bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

I can't imagine what an artist would get out of copying someone elses work.  Where's the pride in one's own ability and talent?  It certainly doesn't say much for such an artist!!  I know when I listed Toby a few weeks ago, I was horrified to learn that Judi had previously done a bear with overalls and a frog as well.  I had no idea, and was really embarrassed by this, and it's still bugging me, even though there really was nothing else similiar about our two bears.  I so hope noone thought I had copied that idea bear_sad .......I honestly hadn't seen Judi's guy before, and Toby just sort of evolved that way.  First, when he was finished I decided he needed clothes....had to be denim overalls to match his blue eyes.  Something was still missing....the frog was a revelation I had laying in bed one night.....just enough to finish him.  Interestingly, I was recently looking at the ebay bears, and saw yet another with overalls and a frog.  This one very close to mine with the bear nekked other than the overalls and the pet froggy.  It did make me wonder since Toby was so recently listed.  I guess I don't really care, as Toby is already sold and that outfit wasn't exactly a signature look or anything. 

Anyway, there's my two cents worth....if it's worth that much! bear_tongue

:hug:
Tracy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

AHHH TRACY!!! You need not feel badly at all about your froggie and bear pair!  That was not copying in any way and I never felt that it was.  I am sure there must be others out there that have done this combination also.  That's not copying at all...I like to think of it as

Great Minds Thinking Alike!

I think your bear with frog pair was beautiful! :hug:

You poor thing...worrying all this time. bear_wub   Bless you! No more worrying.  I am a great admirer of your work. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Oh, thank goodness Judi!  I was worried about it........I'm a worrier, I admit it!  bear_whistle  I tend to drive myself nuts worrying about little things........haven't figured out that "don't sweat the small stuff yet"!  You're such an angel!  bear_wub  bear_wub  Thank you......I feel so much better now (and a little bit silly  bear_tongue  )!   

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:         
Tracy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
You're a doll!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

What a thought provoking and long post...I've skimmed it as my brain is usually too dizzy at the best of times to read so much lol, but think the discussion has been a great skim  bear_tongue

Heather, you dragon story is despicable!!!  Sheesh!!

As Helena says...I think that unintentional copying is bound to happen, eventually, as others have said too..there are just too many artists and look how much so many of us have in common, down to personality types, pets etc etc!  And then the worry like Tracy has been through if you see something similar to your design that has come out first...and you hope that they know it was really your idea that you woke up with at 1am to jot down and plan lol..

I think these feelings are all good signs that we have a good conscience and are being original..using our own grey matter to create and put ourselves into our work.  I think pride for our work makes us worry that people know the effort and work and love we have put into our creations...if we are copying or cloning I don't think those feelings would be there...would be as strong...how could they be...I suppose they would feel guilt more than worry....I don't see the sense in it all tho...I mean what are people like that after...a quick buck or what...I can't see the reason behind it other than that...it would just be like factory work...

Also think inspiration is very different to copying...After seeing millions of bears, I take parts that I like or really sing out to me and mold my own designs and patterns, if this makes sense...it all squirms together in our creative heads and we pop out our own original babies...with bits and pieces that appeal to us and then they have to be just so to please our own self..

The only other thought I have and its much the same as Tracy's again is that copy cats can never have the same joy and that deep feeling thrill of creating something from scratch and from deep within ourselves..it is like it comes from our soul...spirit...ourselves...the pride...the love of the finished piece...the fun of the trial and error..even if they make the money that feeling wouldn't be there...I know you will all know just what I mean.  They are ripping themselves off really and I wonder how long they can stay in the art without getting bored...and they usually get found out..how dull for them too, if they knew how much they were being cheated by cheating

so after all of that...and something that used to really get to me...now I live by the enjoy rule...enjoy myself and have fun and try and block out all the bad....dishonest people get their own back...and as long as you know your conscience is clear, you can be happy in knowing that you are doing the right thing...life is too short to worry...be happy, be happy for each other, we are all a family and I know I want each of you to succeed and feel the thrill of making little bear lives that I do. 
I know that everyone here feels that same way...how can you not making such lovable critters as bears...they are made for love and comfort...hugs and cuddles and warmth...dishonesty just doesn't belong...

okay...must go...this is late in coming czo I've been absent coz of my health... but has been a great thinker for me, testing my mind out again coz my brain is stil slowly coming back into function....probably my new meds coming out in this too  lol but I mean the very best and good positive thoughts...ignore me if it sounds any different...coming from a warm cozy good feeling place :)
xox Sarah

Best Dressed Bears Best Dressed Bears
Melbourne

100_1318dolls1.JPG
Here is a pic of what I was originally creating that lead to me making bears.

This is such a huge subject and it is difficult to assess who is a copycat or plagerist. I studied these two subjects at Uni and there was a very strong code of ethics regarding plagerism you just dont do it.!!

Two and a bit years ago I never even new there was a bear world that exsisted.
I was creating gift ware for a shop and the shop owner asked if I could make teddy bears. He was after getting large bears that were costumed in old fashioned clothing. So I sayed I would give it a try. (yikes maybe i stole his idea and he just couldnt create it himself) :doh:
Now I had been making calico dolls and had created dolls that were quite unusual.. so he was wanting me to adapt this style into bears.
I had a book with a bear pattern which was something I had in my possession for years. It had patterns for quilts, folk art etc. etc. There was a bear pattern in this book so I studied the bear pattern  and created a bear pattern of my own.  I costumed the bears;  my own designer garments; and they sold within one hour of being in the store woooohoooo for me that was so exciting.
Now with this information I thought i had better find out how to make bears properly so I bought Bear Creations an Aussie magazine.This magazine  has profiles on artists and has detailed bear basics and other artist works and patterns.
This magazine has been an incredible resourse for myself looking at techniques and how artists have drafted their patterns. etc. I think what I am trying to say  is;  it is a very fine line when it comes to copying and plagerism and some people dont understand that using someone elses patterns and ideas are not their  own. These patterns and ideas are offered to aid them to learning how to make creations. But at the end of the day they should at some point learn to make there own... DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE!!!! I hope it is making some sense
Anyway, I never new there was this bear world; let alone costumed bears and I only recently learnt of a lovely lady by the name of Monica Spicer who makes costumed lady bears she calls them her elegant ladies. Now i make costumed lady bears and I make gentlemen bears and basically costumed bears of all kinds and this is a theme I have run with since I was asked to create those three bears two and a bit years ago.
I think what i am trying to say is not everyone is aware of what is out in the universe, some people do innocently create things and find out later that it has been done before. I think maybe the difference is... if the creation, be it a bear, a style, a look is almost a replica of some one elses work, that is when someone has stepped over the line.

I hope i have maybe made a little bit of sense... i am not a fancy writer I just try and write what makes sense to me....i think this makes sense to me... yikes i think i have confused myself and oh gosh my punctuation is really bad and that will make this not make sense........
WOt!!!!hehehe now that i have aDRESSED this subject i should go and dress some bears. heheheh bear_whistle  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_whistle
bear hugs and smiles
Kerrie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Jellybelly Bears wrote:

so after all of that...and something that used to really get to me...now I live by the enjoy rule...enjoy myself and have fun and try and block out all the bad....dishonest people get their own back...and as long as you know your conscience is clear, you can be happy in knowing that you are doing the right thing...life is too short to worry...be happy, be happy for each other, we are all a family and I know I want each of you to succeed and feel the thrill of making little bear lives that I do. 
I know that everyone here feels that same way...how can you not making such lovable critters as bears...they are made for love and comfort...hugs and cuddles and warmth...dishonesty just doesn't belong...

AMEN SARAH!  You have put this whole matter in a nutshell :hug:  :dance:  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

ps...Yes Kerrie, you make perfect sense.  No matter what...always be true to yourself and the rest will fall into place. :hug:  bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

p.s.s....Kerrie, your doll is Beautiful! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm pretty philosophical about copycats.  It's a little annoying, but in the long run, not really worth getting too upset over the occasional 'borrowing' of an idea.  We all see concepts that excite us and that we would like to 'do our own thing' with, after all that's how bear-making as a craft has developed and this forum is very helpful with sharing ideas!  I know it's easy to recognise my work as that of 'Paula Carter' when it's in the market place, so don't worry too much if some of the designs ideas I've had have been 'borrowed', as long as it's purely to progress another designers unique style.  That said, if there's an idea or technique I really do want to protect, I simply don't share the info.  That's my perogative.

Stealing my bears' identities, so that another maker lays claims to work exactly like my own, now THAT really would bug me!  It happened to my sister.  She had her designs purchased by what she thought was a customer and then one day, was told by an Ebay fanatic that the woman was selling bears that very closely resembled her designs and even bore the same names!  Also, she was underselling my sister's work, with her copies!  Very cheeky indeed.

What I want to know is why, if a bear maker can go to those lengths, they don't create their own unique style - after all, that's the fun part of the process!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hmm...I might of changed my mind on this one...after what I've seen today. Not on here by the way! :hug: I think the problem is we are so sharing and take care to use any information we use in the right way. Anyone can read these posts and use ideas, bears and even things like shill bidding, private listings comments to further their own ends. It can't stop us doing what we do  bear_thumb  but makes you think, for everyone of us who uses the information in the 'right' way there is bound to be someone up to no good bear_sad . We are just too dam good and popular bear_tongue  bear_grin  on here!!!

Board footer