Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

At the moment I'm slowly trying out different styles and sizes of bears to learn new techniques and and develop a better idea of what suits my skills.  I find it very annoying having to 'down tools' whilst I order individual sets of nut and bolt joints and specific sets of eyes and then wait for them to be delivered.
I appreciate when you have identified the size of bears you like to make you can order these in bulk, but I'm not there yet.

Could anyone recommend a 'basic size range ' of hardboard discs and eyes that I could buy in more economical quantities?. (Its all outlay at the moment) There are so many sizes of hardboard discs and so many types and sizes of eyes that it would be impossible to keep sets of everything.  Not having different ones in hand so to speak also prevents you trying different e.g. eyes to see the various effects.  I have a set of black eyes on pins to mark the eye position and to give an indication of size required - but I'd like to try colours or even my own painted ones.

Could you suggest a basic set of Copic marker colours that that would be the most flexible to buy whilst I try them out. e.g. do you always need black ......................

Any suggestions would be most welcome and would be appreciated by my Bank Manager :pray:

Sandra   :redface:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Sandra,  bear_flower
I'm afraid there really isn't an easy answer to your "basic size range" question.  The only suggestion I can make is to visit bear shows in your area and hope that there are supply vendors there.  Here in the states some of the vendors will allow you to buy a few of this and a few of that which makes it so much easier when you're just starting out.  You're right, it can get quite pricey to stock up on everything.

What size bears are you interested in making?  Although even thinking in those terms the joint sizes can vary depending on the size you make your arm, leg and necks.  They eye size is a matter of choice and what look you're going for.  Oiy!

I'm afraid I'm being of no help here!  Please, somebody jump in!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Sandra,
We do need a general size range you are shooting for in your bears.  Are you wanting to do smaller ones, say, 5-10 inches,  minis,  medium or large.  That will determine the size range of joints and eyes.  Most of my bears are from 4-16 inches and I use eyes from 4mm-12mm.  The joints for that range of bears that I use are 1/4-2 inches.
For the copic markers, my stand-bys are walnut, light walnut, chamois and black.   I have some pinks thrown in there for inside ears and open mouths.
Donna

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Sandra!!

Well if you come to my house, you'll find that MY basic supplies take up most of my dining area, living area, under stairs cupboard, bedroom, loft, wardrobe, shed, garage, but don't worry, I haven't monopolised the bathroom yet!!!    bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

I keep lots in stock, I think I probably have a disorder, bearmakingitus or something..... bear_whistle    But believe me, there's always something else you need!!!   bear_happy

I'm not helping here am I??    :doh:  Donna's advice is spot on as ever, I hope you find your size soon!!   :hug:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Sandra... I totally know where you are at right now!  I can give you my rule of thumb as far as eye size goes on my bears..... and you are obviously already aware that eye size is a totally personal thing... Can you make a 15 inch bear with 5 mm eyes... YOU BETCHA!  Can you make a 5 inch bear with 14 mm eyes.... YUP!  My bears really tend to have BIG 'ol eyes  and generally... the number of inches tall they are is the number of mm their eyes are!  How's that for crazy!  So much of it too., depends on the proportions of your bear.  Mine tend to have fairly long legs.... so when my bear measures 14 inches standing... someone else's bear with the exact same size head might only measure 12 inches....

Anyway.. that's the basic rule of thumb for my bears and their big eyed baby look.

3 inch bear... 3 mm eye
14 inch bear... 14mm eye

When I first started making full sized bears, i started working in the 9-11 inch range, because I could fairly easily fit two bears into one fat quarter of mohair... or one 12 incher with plenty of extra left over for when I goofed up and needed a big piece to completely remake a whole head... or something!  bear_wacko   I think my joint disks were 1 inch in the limbs... and maybe a 1 and 1/4 inch in the head?  As far as joints go... you are generally better of erring on the side of having the disks be too small rather than too big.  If they are truly too big... you just can't use them... if they are too small.... the tops of your limbs can look a bit too puffy and maybe not tight enough... but they do FIT!   bear_wub

************OOOO... just noticed that you are in the UK, so you are metric.... keep in mind in my measurements above... I use

inches

to measure height, but mm to measure eyes!!!!!*************** 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Thank you Ladies for all your advice.  Its been a great help.

Kim - I may live in the UK but I'm afraid I think in 'feet and inches'.  I don't relate to metric at all. :doh:

Sandra  :redface:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
NoviceBearmaker wrote:

Kim - I may live in the UK but I'm afraid I think in 'feet and inches'.  I don't relate to metric at all. :doh:

Oh... okay... I just assumed and probably shouldn't have  :redface:   that it might have been confusing that I measure my bear height in inches but my eye diameter in mm...... I'm an inches and feet gal myself, but the eyesi buy are measured in mm.  So my American/metric combo measurements would make perfect sence to you!  YEA!!!!!   bear_grin 

bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Kim,

That would make absolute sense to me.

teddymay Posts: 7

I started making my own, and often buy some to collect and enter a lot of competitions to win some, I recently won a mimmo bear  and its really beautiful bear_original xx

Board footer