Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Tonight I ended up going to the emergency at our local hospital.  I couldn't get in to my doctor today and knew I needed more antibiotics.  It took me 2 1/2 hours to be seen, and that was fine, as I certainly wasn't life or death.  I got my prescrition and this time they took a swab to confirm it's strep throat.   However, I took my mohair and a pattern and got a bunny cut out and started to sew it, so at least my time wasn't wasted.  I also sew in the car, while we are travelling.  Anyone else have strange places to sew?

Hugs,

Brenda

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Brenda,

I know you needed antibiotics and I am glad you are ok. Strep throat is not fun - so well soon.
But, I smiled at you cutting and sewing. You did this at the hospital? That is so cool!
I have not done anything like that - yet! but you just never know.

Hugs Kassie

Hi Kassie,
     Yes, I did it at the hospital, while waiting.  I always take one to the doctor's office when I have an appointment as our doctor is really good, and takes his time with patients.  There is always a long wait and I do not have ANY patience.  All I can think of is what I "could" be doing, so taking it with me helps.  Mine are quite small though and fit into a plastic baggie and are easy to transport. 

Hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Brenda,  bear_flower
I'm like you....got to be busy every minute or I feel like I'm not getting anything accomplished.  If I know I'll be going somewhere where I have to wait for any length of time I'll take bear stuff with me.  I always have a few little bears drawn out that I can cut out while waiting.  I've even taken pins and body parts in the car.  I can't do it while riding in the car though.....I get car sick!  Bleck!

Oh, I've even taken bears to work on while I'm sitting in the hairdressers chair.  It's especially good to do when I'm having foils done!  Those appointments are sooooo long!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh yes I always like to keep my hands busy!  I keep a basket tote ready to go with bear things to do.  And it's neat... people always ask what you are doing and I usually end up passing out a biz card or two...

Laure, I agree - it's neat.  Tonight even the doctor wanted to see what I was doing! LOL!  Aleta, maybe there will be bunnies yet!

Hugs,

Brenda

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Brenda that is just so cool!  bear_original 

Aleta - I use to do my artwork at work years back. Got a lot done that way.

Laura that is great - talk about advertizing.   bear_thumb

Ok - I forgot - the only time I took my bear stuff with me was when I go to my husband's hat shows. But never done the hospital or car. to funny.
I thought working all day and most of the night was bad - but you all got me beat! bear_grin  bear_grin

hugs Kassie

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Ahh Brenda, today I have an appointment with the gynae, it is scheduled for 10.15, but I know that I will wait, so I have my needle felting ready . I have been there before when he has had to run out to deliver a baby, so I go prepared. He also finds it amusing, as do other people waiting.
At the airports I sit and knit, since no scissors are allowed in, on the plane and in the car, hairdresser etc.
I am just someone who can never sit idle and I do get lots of hand work done this way.
bear_original
Lynette

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Brenda, I hope that you are feeling better really soon, strep throat is no fun at all! I take bear parts everywhere. Last week I took my son to the hospital for an appointment and got half a bear stitched together while I waited. We do a lot of camping in the summer and I always take bears along to work on. I can't just sit and do nothing either.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I used to catch the train to work an hour each way - and because I got on at the first stop I could usually get a seat to myself for part of the way.  I used to hate it when big burly middle aged men would sit next to me - they would hog so much room I couldn't sew .  More than once I was tempted to jab them with my needle!  Some of the other women on the train used to call me "mrs bear"

Now I still travel 40 minutes but on a bumpy bus round a narrow winding seaside road - not usually a chance of sewing, though I have stitched on the stars I attach on my bears back on the bus.

I take my bears to work and sew there at lunchtimes but that's through sheer despair at the amount of bears I have to make in the next few months and not because I feel compelled to.

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

Brenda, I hope your strep goes away uber quickly!

As for sewing anywhere else but the house---my mother-in-law just gave me the most wonderful big make-up bag [hard outer case] that I throw all my materials [pre-cut bear pieces, thread, stickpins, eyes, scissors, hemostats, etc.] and I take the whole mess over to the in-laws' and sew while we watch Stargate, Vegas or Monk---and I also take it to my parents' house out of state.  Other than that, we don't really go anywheres else 'cept for visiting, and I think it'd be kind of rude to bring bear stuff along, plus I might screw it up.

I must confess, I have been working on a new pattern for some feet and arms, and my little 10 month old decided it was time for him to have a bath---so we ran a tub, I put him in and then got in myself---with a little plastic baggy wif my teddy bear fur pieces, needle and thread, and he happily played with his rubber duckies, froggy and piggy while I sewed away on my new arm pattern.

Now, that MUST be a sign of addiction---being naked in a tub with your baby and sewing bear parts!!

..hey, it kept him quiet!!  = )

Amelia

Amelia,
     I think that's the cutest one I've heard yet!  You've given me quite a chuckle - what a mental image LOL!

Hugs,

Brenda

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Yep,
cars, trains, waiting rooms, hospital, camping.
Lots of places in fact I'm going away this week end and will be lugging a bear with me down there.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

In the BAthtub?????/ That had a good chuckle!

I have taken them to work (when I was working), and visiting relatives and camping. If I am at the doctors office, I read.....taking along the bears would be too much of a hastle. At a craft show I went to last year, where I was in a motel room for 4 nights, alone, I took my sewing machine and fur and all the stuff, but met someone I got along with, so didn't get much done. I will sit and finish bears while at shows.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I take work to the salon...so if I get a spare minute (not often) I can do things I hate...like ear sewing on..it's easy when you are chatting to someone else!!

I have threatened my clients that I am teaching them to stuff heads...they can do one while they get their hair done....it could catch on....

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I sew just about everywhere too!  Because most of mine are miniatures... and because it's ALL hand sewing... I can really get all the pieces and parts... plus scissors, hemostats, stuffing, pins, needles... everything I need for the whole entire bear into a tiny little children's shoe box!  I do a lot of bears while sitting in the waiting room of speech therapy for my oldest son. I also sew quite a bit while sitting on a bench at the park, watching the little ones run around like crazy people!   bear_tongue 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Glad I'm not the only one that takes me bearmaking out of the house.

I sew and felt at work. I work on the computer and on the phones, so I can get some good work time in. Plus, I've sold a few creations that way. People just can't believe I take take 'fluff' and make a sculpture out of it.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Me too.  I take a bag with hand sewing everywhere I go.  Even my bigger bears are almost all sewn by hand.  Can't stand to NOT have busy hands. bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Glad you're okay Brenda :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

fribblesltd wrote:

Now, that MUST be a sign of addiction---being naked in a tub with your baby and sewing bear parts!!  ..hey, it kept him quiet!!  = )  Amelia

LOL!!! Oh Amelia that's the best one yet  :clap:

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I have tried to sew in the car, but it never worked out very well as I got a little woozy. Fortunately, I don't get stuck in too many situations that have me idly waiting for long amounts of time.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website
Amelia wrote:

Now, that MUST be a sign of addiction---being naked in a tub with your baby and sewing bear parts!!

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh Crackin' up here!!!!!!! That just kills me Amelia!! bear_wub

I do take my bear stuff along any chance I get.  I hate sitting and waiting for anything and having nothing to do.   Need to keep my hands and mind busy!!  The hubby drew the line though when I wanted to take my stuff to my oldest son's basketball tournament a while back though.  He thought I would embarrass him bear_tongue !  I was nice to him (this time bear_grin ), left everything home, and was bored out of my skull in between games!!

:hug:
Tracy

Board footer