Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I included in my latest Edinburgh order the request for the pure white needlefelting wool they have on their website. When my order arrived today there was no white wool.... invoice said to re-order. GRRRR!!!

Yes, this is for the movie bunnies. The next has to be shipped out by Wednesday.... it's Saturday.

So, I've called the two places I go to for needlefelting wool locally and neither one have the pure white... just natural white. There IS a difference!

I need BRIGHT, PURE, SNOWY, PAPER WHITE to make the "movie folks" happy (I have other names for them at this point but won't share them here!!).

Does such a thing really exist????

I've tried bleaching the natural white and it didn't do a thing!?!?!?! I gave it 10 minutes of sitting in bleach. I imagine that isn't a good thing for wool anyway and I'd have a mess in the end.

Do any of you that are US residents have any of what I'm looking for?? Like 3-5 ounces???
Would you be willing to express mail some to me on Monday if I sent you $$ via paypal???

Any other suggestions??

Yes, I've thought of telling them I quit!!!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Daphne,
Try using polyester stuffing.  I know others that have used it and it seems to work just fine.  Everything I have is off white, so I am no help.  Are we having fun yet????????
Donna

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks, Donna!
My hubby asked about using stuffing. I didn't think it'd felt very easily.
Guess I'll have to try it!

And the answer is NO, we're not!!!!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

All I have to offer is this...........    :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank you, Shantell.
I needed that!!!

Donna.... you two were right!!! :)
It works!!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Daphne,
I have heard from others that it felts really well. In fact, I know some that use the polyester stuffing as the "base" for all of thier critters.
Sonya

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ah Daphne, You desreve an award for taking on this project.  You are, indeed, a tropper, and I am certian this will leave a lasting impression for the hurdles you have had to jump over.  Just think of how proud you can be after it is all completed. :clap:

I have heard of using polyester stuffing, like Donna suggested.

Or you could contact Neysa.  She carries lots of quality wools.  Her contatc info is at the top of the needle felting thread page.

Best of luck! :hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I used that on my Red panda and it was great, perhaps even more easy to felt than usual. bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, I decided against bright white and the movie people are just going to have to deal with it.
Using polyfill is great if you don't care about it being evenly distributed, as a thin layer of it has uneven density. This really shows up if felting onto a darker background and lumpy isn't the look you are trying to acheive.

I use the 'firm pack' stuffing for my bear muzzles and then some really silky soft poly for the rest of the bear. Well, the former is what is lumpy. The latter.... it's got a wonderful silky feel but looks/feels odd with the rest of the felt on the bunny.. also it tends to rub off easily. I don't have 20 hours to spend felting each of these 6 bunnies. Seems like the silky poly takes forever to felt.

SO.... I'm going with the natural white wool which I have some of and can get more of locally. It does the trick beautifully in my opinion. If it's not white enough for the movie people they'll just have to adjust the lighting or camera settings.  bear_tongue

I'm getting testy about this whole thing, can you tell?????  bear_angry

Thanks for the suggestions! I am definitely going to remember about using stuffing for white.... great for the right project!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

You have very right to be testy, Daphne.  I think you are handling this beautifully.  With all that you have had to put up with..hats off to you!

From seeing the photos you showed me, I too would think the natural white would make a better fit.  Best best best of luck to you :clap:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

snowy7.JPGIf you still want some bright white... I used the "natural" corriedale wool on Snowy - or there is also angora maybe this will help - http://www.mielkesfarm.com/angora_fiber.htm

I have tried needlfelting polyfill and it doesnt work very well, at least that is my experience...

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I have gotten snow white merino wool from here:

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/

For whatever it's worth

and yes I have mentioned them a dozen times before

sigh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, Dilu, if you've mentioned them before I wasn't paying attention so thank you for mentioning them again.

Kim, thank you too!

Judi, I thought the natural white was best but 'they' wanted it bright white.

I've learned tonight that "Mimsy" means a combination of flimsy and miserable. Well, that's about how I feel so I'm changing my name to Mimsy!!  bear_tongue

Aww Daphne your Mimsy is far too cute to be 'flimsy and miserable'....Poo on them, she is a proud little gal, but we can call you Mimsy if you like, as long as you know it is because we love Mimsy and think she is going to become a childhood icon for a new generation! 

Will they have her in the store by Christmas?

I am sorry, I was wayyyyyy too cranky last night to be allowed to live! 

All better now.....don't know the cure?  Ice cream?  Maybe

I was wondering today, if it isn't as bright as you want what would happen if you put a few drops of Mrs Wrights Bluing in the water and soaked the wool?

It is an old fashioned way of making your laundry white look brighter....kind of like how snow seems super bright but blue in the shadows.   If you haven't ever bought it, it is in the laundry section and is a small blue plastic bottle full ov very concentrated blue dye that can create a terrible terrible mess, if you get it on the counter, the rug, the......be careful!

hugs

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Dilu wrote:

very concentrated blue dye that can create a terrible terrible mess, if you get it on the counter, the rug, the......be careful!

Hee Hee!! Speaking from experience? I hope not!!!

No bunnies for christmas... the movie won't be out until sometime next year... no idea when yet... so bunny won't be out until then also. I have no idea what their marketing plans are. I'll find out with the rest of you!

I'm pleased to say that she (looks like a "he" to me though but I suppose "he's" can be as flimsy and miserable as "she's") anyway, Mimzy is almost done. I hope they like the changes because I don't have any room in my studio for more bunny parts that don't look quite right!!!  :doh:

Oh my gollygoodness, I am speaking from experience!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Did they say you couldn't make Mims on your own?  That you couldn't sell the 'shhhh  rejected ones' 

If you could that might be an interesting way to use up the body parts, even the non-perfe t ones....I would buy one, I think, if she weren't to expencive and it were legal.....you probably had to sign a contract though...hmmmmm

Perhaps by next Christmas....I am seeing a mimsy pillow, jammie holder that little girls could take to sleep-overs,

I think it would be kind of neat to own a rejected Mimsy

dilu

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I hope they like the changes because I don't have any room in my studio for more bunny parts that don't look quite right!!!

I'd take a Backroad "Bunny" made out of reject parts  bear_grin

I bet you are so glad this is almost behind you.  I do have a funny question...why didn't they ask who evers wife to make them?  Did you say one of the wives was a needlefelter or something.  Maybe I'm confusing this with something else.

:hug:

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Daphne, dyed white NZ roving is a pure white. You could try that. I'm out but Miekles carries it. Neysa

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Neysa - thanks for the suggestion!

Shantell - I have no idea why they art director's wife didn't do them but I wish she had!!

Board footer