Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I was at a flea market this weekend, and purchased an old biscuit tin filled with buttons and bits.  I don't know anything about buttons (except that they close shirts, pants etc), and was wondering if anyone knows anything about these particular ones.  They are about 1/2" - 3/4", made from some sort of off white coloured material, and have a shank on the back side.  A lot of them come with a split pin of some sort.  There are a couple of styles - one has the shank end showing right through to the front, and the other is a clean front.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Jane P.

Buttons.JPG

Finally got it!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Jane, it sounds very likely they will be Old style nurses buttons or chefs  used them too. They were made to be removable so they could be laundered,that is why the split pin is used. Mind you I can tell you better if we could see the piccie ..hee hee...  Hugs Rita xxx

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Jane ,
                Yep, thats them ,they are very old mind you, the uniforms had a small eyelet hole embroidered on them and thats where the buttons went and were then secured with the pin. After those came in rubber buttons. Well I speak from UK.  Hugs Rita

Thanks Rita,

I had a hard time getting the photo on.  My new computer doesn't seem to save the photos where I want - However I imagine it is the operator and not the machine!

I thought they may be something like that - there are a lot of them in the tin, but not all have the pins.  I think they are kind of interesting.

Jane P.

Ayrshire, Scotland.

They were used in this country in the 50s.  Hugs Rita xx

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Some of the old collar buttons were like this too - in the days when men's shirts had removable collars.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I was gonna say 40's -50's nurse buttons too!  I love big old cans of buttons and STUFF!  How neat Jane!
I've bought a couple of coffee cans and mason jars filled with stuff like that from estate sales, auctions, etc..... They are just SO FUN to go through, aren't they!?  Once, I did find a couple of solid gold teeth in one!  Now that was kinda weird, and a bit icky.... but strangely fascinating at the same time!   bear_smile  bear_smile  bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Butchers uniforms also had them in England .....

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Lucky lady!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

How neat Jane - that would have been a good find!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer