Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good day everyone!

Asking for a vote if I may.

I'm making a felted dragon. Everything is wool, different colors etc. I've been working on this guy for some time now.

Now I have a dilemma I've been pondering forever, and if I don't decide, he will never get finished.

So what do you think, should I felt the dragon wings, so it's a whole felted piece, or should I make the wings out of the same material I made the fairy wings in my avatar???

Yes???

No???

I'm soo indecisive! Makes me crazy!!

Thank goodness I have you guys.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Hmmm Heather... I made a dragon a while back that is totally felted wool...including his wing...and I love the effect...but I really love the fairy wings on your avatar! How about make some of those fairy wings for the dragon, and if...and only if you don't like the look...you could save the fairy wings for another project & go with the felted wings...yikes...I don't think I was much help.....

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I'm with Charlotte = try it both ways and see what you like better!!  bear_tongue

Marion

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

I'm with the other two TTs.  I'd go with the avatar style first- unless you feel they wouldn't support his body weight.  Good grief  :doh: I can't belive I just said that!!!!!!!!!

Sandra  :redface:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm for making as little work as possible, with the best possible outcome.

My feeling is that the felted wings would look great and would "match" the dragon, but that they would look too "heavy" to have the airy look, or look of "lift," required to make believable wings.  I also tend to have a personal preference for wings that are somewhat different from the base material; glossy wings on a matte item.  Translucent wings on a solid item.  And so on.

My personal choice, therefore, would be to make the translucent wings first, and see how you like them.  Not too flimsy or delicate, so they'll look good stylistically with the heavier-looking and courser-feeling felting on the dragon.  If you don't like the effect, you can try the felted ones afterward.

Just one girl's opinion!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Oooh........I think make them like the fairy wings in your avatar.  Those wings are awesome and would be a nice contrast! bear_wub

:hug:
Tracy

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

I am agree with Tracy and Shelli and anyone else who said - the wings in your avatar.
they are wonderful.  bear_thumb

hugs kassie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Fairy wings for sure!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wow....your fairly wings are so neat, and impressive, also they aren't heavy looking at all, and the evoke the magical feeling we all love.  Felted wings, even if you were the aboslute queenoffelting would still look keavier than your faily wings.....I think you could try both and see what you liked, but your faily wings are so lovely, i'd go with them....

dilu

Tina Remem-bear Artist Bears

Oooh, Your faerie wings for sure, they are beautiful, I'm in awe,

Hugs
Tina

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I LOVE the Fairy Wings too  bear_wub

Since dragons are not especially delicate creatures, would it be possible to make the wings more macho and leathery-looking?

Or if that doesn't sound right, would it be possible to make the wings out of regular wool felt, dyed to match and 'quilted' or otherwise embellished?

Eileen

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

OOoh, I love you guys!

So, everyone says fairy wings. OK! Can't argue with that!

I agree with Shelli and Eileen, the felted wings way look too heavy, and that must've been why I was hesitant to do it that way. But you gals also had good points about making it more substantial.
Shelli and Eileen, great points! Just what I needed to hear! So back to the drawing board. I'm going to try and mix up the mediums, maybe a combo of felt and my fairy wings. LOVE to experiment anyway.

Really, I am also worried about mixing different mediums, but it doens't seem to bother any of you.

Thanks again soo much everyone, really means alot to me . Off to my studio.............     k020.gif

Board footer