Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I have some gorgeous curly kid mohair that I'd like to start on today.  I've used it a couple other times and love it but I'm wanting to keep the poodly ringlets that it's in RIGHT NOW.  I know after I cut, sew, turn, and maul the poor thing it won't look like it does at this moment uncut.  Any suggestions how to get  that look back...

Thanks!!!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Shantell, I'm no mohair expert... but I really find that the kid mohairs retain that curly look fairly well... even after dying in hot water.. drying in the machine, brushing, etc.... I think it's because the kid mohair is naturally curly like that... If it's "adult" mohair... it's naturally straighter, and they have to alter it to get it to look swirly or distressed or wavy... so you can often "undo" those characteristics... intentionally or unintentionally.  It the curly kid, even when I dye and dry and brush... it kind just reverts back to its more natural curly state....  I think you'll be okay!   bear_wub  bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

a015.gif
a050.gif

Wonder if you could just mist the bear once complete, pinch those curls back up and let it dry?
Works on my hair!!

I've never had the curls come out when I've made a bear.
Perhaps you just need to be a little more gentle??? (Giggling here!)

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

When I've used the kid mohair, it does loose some of its lovely wave and curl after handling it so much.  (And maybe I'm just a little too rough as I work......poor bears!! bear_grin ) It's easily restored by misting it as Daphne suggested.  When you're done sewing and etc, mist, brush it the way it needs to go, let dry, and brush again.  I like to use a leave in hair conditioner as it leaves such a yummy smell to the mohair and maybe adds a little more softness and sheen.

:hug:
Tracy

Willamette Valley Oregon
Daphne wrote:

Perhaps you just need to be a little more gentle??? (Giggling here!)

Well that's could be true.  I do man or rather woman handle the head a bit.   The curls don't really come out...they just aren't as curly by the time I do my "thang" and then brush out the matted mangy dog mess I make.   bear_rolleyes

I'll try misting it and maybe get my daughter to practice pin curls (she's in beauty school).  HA HA HA

bear_flower   bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh yes.. the dreaded pin curls! Finger waves were worse! I couldn't wait to get into something 'real'.... come on.... who does FINGER WAVES in this day and age??? OK, I was in beauty school 15 years ago (and am a beauty school drop out!) but even then finger waves were a thing of the distant past. Does your daughter have to do finger waves?

I can just see your bear with pin curls and those little clips all over his head!  bear_laugh  Poor guy!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Ha...Erienne (my daughter) hates the finger waves too...she thinks they are complete waste of time.

Board footer