Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

nettie scotland
Website

After looking at Aleta's lovely bear listed I had a look at ebay, listing easter tree.I could not believe how many were listed.We don't have easter trees and easter ornaments over here in the U.K (NOT SCOTLAND ANYWAY).
All my easter memories are hiding eggs in the garden,the easter church service,boiling eggs ,painting them and then rolling them down a hill at the easter picknic and lots ofchocolate  easter eggs.Is there far more to it abroad.?It seems like we are very conservative in all our holidays.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

In Germany, we used to pick holes in the top and bottom ends of hens eggs and blow the contents out (makes for headache and scrambled eggs  :D) and then we would paint the egg shells, put a piece of a matchstick with a string (sewing thread) into the top hole (the stick turns so that it blocks the hole) and hang these on twigs of Forsythia (bush with yellow flowers), cherry or other trees, which are standing in a vase with water. They bloom out and so we have flowers and eggs in vase. There are crafted eggs of other types, embroidered, victorian patchwork (styrolite eggs with fabric), manufactured eggs etc. We also put in fluffy chicks and other ornaments. I've made fabric chicks with feather tails. On the side board where I have my easter twigs, I also have sewn hens (tetraeder beanbags) and other home made decorations. Its a lot like Christmas I guess.

Here in Sweden people like birch twigs and ty colour dyed feathers to them.

We eat lots of chocolate eggs (too many actually) and easter cakes. I have a baking tin in the shape of a laying down lamb, 3-D, the tin is assembled of two halves and stands upside down in the oven.

As children we used to search for eggs and chocolate bunnies hidden by our parents.

Our easter lasts from Friday through Monday, with Sunday and Monday being the real Easter days.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Actually a lot of us in the states have fallen victem to places like Halmark Cards, where you can find little things like bunnies and eggs and and chicks etc.  People collect them.

and then hang them on little brass tree shapes.

So yeah Easter trees do exist here in the states.  But they haven't taken off like Christmas trees.

but the ones I have seen are usually table top modles.

and of course in true American fashion, if there's a buck to be made....we'll do it!

dilooopylu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, don't get me started on secular decorations, hoopla and money making schemes!

I remember having an Easter Egg Hunt in the town park every year as a kid.
And Easter morning the bunny leaving a trail of jelly beans from my bedroom door to where ever he'd hid my Easter Basket which was filled with a chocolate bunny, some other sugary stuff, a stuffed animal bunny and a couple of small toys. Then we went to church and off to grandma's for Easter Dinner which was ham, potatoes, carrots, peas, rolls and a host of yummy desserts.

The Easter Bunny still comes... hubs and I do silly baskets for eachother. And we still go to church. Now Easter Dinner is at my house!

Lilies and daffodils are the flowers of the season here and are in pots, vases, etc. and smell just wonderful!

Other than the neighbors hanging plastic eggs in their trees and bushes I can't say as I've seen any Easter Trees! As Dilu said... table top ones... with skinny wire branches to hang mini ornaments on. Do they really sell large as life trees for EASTER!?? My goodness!  :doh:

ellen ontario, canada

ONLY in america!
bear_original    bear_whistle

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I've never seen Easter trees before.

nettie scotland
Website
Acipenser wrote:

In Germany, we used to pick holes in the top and bottom ends of hens eggs and blow the contents out (makes for headache and scrambled eggs  :D) and then we would paint the egg shells, put a piece of a matchstick with a string (sewing thread) into the top hole (the stick turns so that it blocks the hole) and hang these on twigs of Forsythia (bush with yellow flowers), cherry or other trees, which are standing in a vase with water. They bloom out and so we have flowers and eggs in vase. There are crafted eggs of other types, embroidered, victorian patchwork (styrolite eggs with fabric), manufactured eggs etc. We also put in fluffy chicks and other ornaments. I've made fabric chicks with feather tails. On the side board where I have my easter twigs, I also have sewn hens (tetraeder beanbags) and other home made decorations. Its a lot like Christmas I guess.

Here in Sweden people like birch twigs and ty colour dyed feathers to them.

We eat lots of chocolate eggs (too many actually) and easter cakes. I have a baking tin in the shape of a laying down lamb, 3-D, the tin is assembled of two halves and stands upside down in the oven.

As children we used to search for eggs and chocolate bunnies hidden by our parents.

Our easter lasts from Friday through Monday, with Sunday and Monday being the real Easter days.

I like the idea of the forsythia,I have yellow and white forsythia in the garden.Natural decor is so much nicer.
I don't follow any faith so I never go in for the holidays big style but have always done the egg rolling et cand explained to my daughter the meanings behind it.We celebrate christmas big style as most Scottish people were originall pagan and it is a pagan festival hijaked way back.The yule log and tree all date back centuries so I do like to have all of that.Any excuse for more food and time off I suppose.
Have a happy easter whatever your denomination.

Board footer