Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I just dawned on me to search TT for threads on crocheted bears. Duh!  :doh:

I'm bursting at the seams to tell you what I'm up to and so will post it here and wait 'til we're done to post it in the General Discussion. Here goes....

Some of you know that my Dad suffered  tripple abdominal aortic aneurysms 3 weeks ago and has not been quick to recover with a few set backs and trips back to the emergency room. He's home, weak and frustrated with all that's happened and keeping him off his feet. So....... as he knits and has made oodles of bear sweaters for me, I thought I'd give him a new challenge... making a crocheted bear! I got the idea from the latest issue of TB&F... there is a pattern inside and the crocheted bear is on the cover. I brought it to dad on Easter Suday with a ball of absolutely GORGEOUS Kid Mohair yarn and he's already started on it! He's going to do the crocheting and I'll do the assembly and face. How special this little bear is going to be..... I can't remember Dad and I ever making anything together other than sandcastles on the beach when I was little.

Anyway, you gals have provided some great resources for supplies, patterns and help.
Thank you!

Hugs, Daphne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Daphne

what a great idea! 

And you are always full of them.....congratulations.....Will you post piccys?  I would love to see one of your dad.

What a great rehab project.   And its something he likes doing. 

Give your dad big hugs from all of us OK?  I am so glad he is doing better.....and I think he should be a honorary Talker, don't you?

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:     and one for dad  :hug:

bear_tongue

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

I would like to also recommend the Thread Artist Guild for people wanting to learn and grow in the area of making bears and other animals via crochet and needlefelting.  The Guild's website explains it all better - http://www.ThreadArtistGuild.org

We have all kinds of members from just beginning to those working on becoming Master Artisans!  And they are all wonderful people who enjoy helping newcomers to this artform.

/bearhugs,

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Daphne!!!!!!!!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

This sounds like an absolutely PERFECT IDEA!!!!! 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

Hi Daphne,
I just read your post, and so happy the pattern in TB&Friends wil be a new challenge for your Dad. I would love to see him when finished. Please give my best wishes to your Dad, and if he has any questions regarding the pattern, please feel free to ask.
Take Care,
Berta

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

DILU - I will definitely post pictures!!! Everyone has heard so much about him (sorry  :redface:  ) that yes, I suppose he should be an honorary member!

MARY - You've posted so many great things about your guild! I'm sure it's a fantastic place for learning, networking, sharing, etc. Just as TT is! bear_original In my case, this is just a fun thing for Dad and I to do... so many resources have been posted right here and we even have Berta herself to help if need be so I think we'll manage just fine!  :dance:

BERTA - I'm so sorry I didn't give you a plug for being the artist behind such an adorable bear and the pattern. I honestly didn't have the magazine in my hands long enough to study it as I'd pulled it out of my mailbox on the way to visit my folks and there it's been ever since! Thank you for being available to us for any questions. I'll be sure to share pictures with you when it's finished. (He's pulled what he's done apart twice now... the meds he's on make him a little fuzzy sometimes so this is more of a challenge than ever. But he'll get it!)

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Daphne, no need to blush, my friend, you are a wonderful daughter, and i love that you love your parents so much!  And Yep i vote we make him an honorary member.....course the membership is a picture, right guys?

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Winney,
I see you are also addicted to the crochet bears. I make "regular size" crochet bears and creatures. You have experience with joints and cotter pins and all the hardware that I have never seen! Do you think it would be easy for someone like me to learn. I really want to stop sewing on the heads!
Love your idea for crochet bears and creatures forum!!!! I don't really have a category for my guys???

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Daphne,
Your dad is a blessing to have gone through what he did! Lucky and blessed!!! I do triple AAA(abdominal aortic anuerysm) and open heart surgery for a living. I'm the guy that hands the instruments. I wish you and your dad all the best!!! Want to see that special bear when it's finished!
Bear Hugs bear_flower
JeannieB

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow, Jeannie!! I actually kept wishing that I could have been in the OR during my dad's surgery so I could see exactly what was going on. The whole stent concept boggles my pea brain. Luckily for him, the stents were inserted through a tiny incision in the groin with the scope inserted just above the heart. (I know there is a name for this kind of surgery but it's escaping me!) It's an amazing procedure! They couldn't do open chest/abdominal surgery on him... too high of a risk.

OK, anyone coming to read about crochet bears did not anticipate to read about aortic surgeries... SORRY!

Anyway, thank you for your post. The crochet bear is on hold as Dad has had a set back or two or three but he's determined to figure out how to make it.... in time. It will be very well worth the wait, I'm sure!

And as for joints.... if you can figure out all those crochet stitches and when to do what (that all makes me cross-eyed and mind boggled!) then you can figure out how to do joints. I should think it would be even easier for you as you are making 'regular' sized bears so won't have to fiddle with little tiny parts. What size do your bears average?

Hugs,
Daphne

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Some of Dad's sweaters are for sale on my website... http://www.backroadbears.com/Supplies.htm the pictures are slow to load.... I did that page before I knew what I was really doing! I need to go back and adjust the photo files so they load faster and one is missing. bear_sad But you'll get the idea. He does big people sweaters to... knit me a really beautiful decorative stitched one with this gorgeous crochetd collar and the most gorgeous buttons.

This is another of dad's sweaters... one of my favorites! The buttons are little pewter bear heads!
Adain1.jpg

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Daphne,
I am also impressed with the sweaters. My bears average 14'' to 20'' . I have my eye on the vest!!! I get paid on Thursday!
We just had an inservice on stenting the ascending aorta (in the chest, above the heart). We have been stenting the abdominal aorta for many years. Hope your dad is feeling good....it takes time!!
Bear Hugs and well wishes,
JeannieB bear_original

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Renae,
Thanks for the reminder!!! None of my patients remember me in the operating room....which means we are doing a good job!!! My dad and I became best friends after his by-passes, also. I am proud to say that I work with the surgeon who did my dads heart fourteen years ago now. I too am blessed with that precious time!!! There isn't a day that goes by ,that I don't do my absolute best for someone elses loved one! It's a very dedicated job. Thanks again for your kind words. bear_flower
JeannieB

Board footer