Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

aaahhh Matida....((((((((((((((((((( :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: ))))))))))))))))))

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Everyone,

I've also been having a hard time with dyes. I've been playing around also.  After buying a complete set of the Aussie Earth Palette dyes I've decided they aren't for me. The backing only picks up colour slightly, and with the way I pluck the faces on my bears, it's not a look I want to go for.

So, any ideas? I want something I can make up and store.  Does anyone know if the cushings dyes work like this, and do they dye the backing a nice colour shade??

Any help would be so appreciated - I've at a  loose end LOL
Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Danni, I'll let you know how it goes as soon as mine arrive!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh thanks Shelli, I'm trying somethign also, and if it works, I shall let you know about that also.

Danni

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I don't think anyone really believes me about cheap, easy-to-get , easy-to-use RIT dye.  The mohair absorbes it fast and beautifully.   I find it so easy and you can mix the colrs to create custom results.

Oh well.

I am interetsed to know about the Intercal dyes too.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi, I believe you, but already ordered the Cushings dyes from Intercal, so I'm gonna try em.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi wrote:

I don't think anyone really believes me about cheap, easy-to-get , easy-to-use RIT dye.  The mohair absorbes it fast and beautifully.   I find it so easy and you can mix the colrs to create custom results.

Oh well.

I am interetsed to know about the Intercal dyes too.

Judi, I use Rit and am always very pleased with the results!!

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Shelli,

You mentioned that you want a mottled look.  The last couple of bears that I dyed were done with two shades of Rit liquid dye.  I started with dark brown dye in the water and then added a bit of tan.  I did not mix the dyes well.  My pieces came out a beautiful shade of brown with almost blonde highlights.  With these I rinse them very well and air dry them.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Judi wrote:

Oh well.

Judi I use and LOVE RIT dyes too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I'm just a bit late jumping in here :)

I use very hot water to which I've added a T or 2 of salt.  I have a bear that's 10 years old that was dyed with RIT dyes and is just like the day she was made! 

Shelli,  I had the same question in my head about the dyes... so I also emailed RIT to ask them about colorfastness...... because I am not letting them sit in the dye bath as long as recommended.... RIT emailed back and told me that since I am not putting my teddy bears in the wash... then the way I am doing it IS colorfast.   :lol:

By the way... RIT dyes dye BOTH the cotton backing AND the mohair fibers!!!  Not all dyes do that.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

SHelli...I just dyed some bears using Rit...

If you  want a more muted color then add 2 TBL salt to the dye bath...

If you want a LIGHTER color like Judis frog then don't dye that piece of fabric as long... then rinsethe fabric un til no color comes out and then layed the pieces flat on top the washer on an old towel ...they came out great !Winney

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Dilu...Thanks for those lnks ..that's exactly what we need to sort out what the different dyes do....Winney

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Just to tell you I find that the Cushing dyes from Intercal are great but that the back fabric do not absorb much color with them, unlike with Rit, which works wonderfully for both the pills and the back fabric.
I must try some "Gaywool" dyes, I'll tell you how it works bear_original.
Hugs,
Marion bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Laura what if I just wanted to dye the backing fabric????? can I just paint this dye on???
Wendy bear_smile

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Wendy!

I've never tried painting it on.... give it a try! 

But if I really only wanted to dye the backing... which is cotton (cellulose).. then I'd try one of the types of dyes that only dyes cotton and not wool (which is an animal product)

THANKS TO DILU for providing those links on dyeing!    After browsing those, I would have THOUGHT that to dye the backing only I'd use a Procion MX  dye.  BUT!!!!  In the article, Paula Burch Ph.D. does mention that the wool (mohair) will not stand up to the high ph necessary for the Procion MX dye to color the cotton backing!

I read further and found that a "Direct Dye" type is the one to use.  The "problem" for most dyers is that these are not wash resistant and will always "bleed" when put into the wash.  However, we don't have that problem!!!

Here's a link about direct dyes from the article Dilu provided: http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/directdye.shtml  HOwever.... it also says some direct dyes are not particularly LIGHTfast (which is why Shelli started this thread!)  But the following direct dyes are pretty lightfast:  Direct Orange 39 and Direct Blue 86 . 

So... I don't think I answered your question  bear_wacko   And now I'm also wanting to try dyeing the backing only... guess I'll have to do some more reasearch bear_original

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Wendy,
If you just want to dye the backing of the fabric use the Earth Pallette dye.  Turn the fabric to the backing and just paint a thin layer of paint on the back.  Let it dry in a warm place and you have a piece of fabric that has not colored the pile on the front of the fabric.   My friend in OZ does it all the time for her clown bears.  Let me know if you need her email to contact her directly.
Donna

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Wow Laura , so much information. Thankyou. I will go to Dilu's link later and carry on some research.
But I'll do the rit dye back painting test today. I'll keep ya posted.
Thankyou for your time. Wendy bear_thumb

Board footer