Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Esmerldas Esmerldas
Colorado Springs, CO

Bear Log, Travel Date – Friday, April 7, 2006, evening

We’ve had a very busy day.  First thing this morning I got my official credentials for the convention.  Very impressive don’t you think?

credentials.jpg

After I had my credentials, I got to walk around and visit other booths.  I visited with bears (and other animals) on other tables.  First stop was right next door to our table where I talked with Tucker on Shelli Heinemann’s table.  I tried to get Tucker to go outside to play with his boat in the creek, but he was being so good!

shellie-2.jpg

Visiting among the many bears (and other animals!) of The Bruin Sisterhood was a lot of fun.

Scott MacKenzie has his travel bear with him.  His bear and I had a long conversation where we exchanged secrets that only bears get to know about.

scott.jpg

Another Sisterhood member, Diana Ussery, brought rats!  A very interesting group of rats these, being very protective of the tiny rat babies.  I decided not to upset any of them

diana-ussery-2.jpg

I spent a long time admiring the very cute girl on Donna Butts’ table, but I couldn’t get her to come with us on our travels.

donna2.jpg

We went shopping at Donna Mettling’s table.  She had lots and lots of wonderful colored markers to play with.  So many colors, so little time!  I did get to bring home a variety of blue and purple markers – maybe I’ll try them out as eye makeup.

markers.jpg

After the show hours were over, we went to a party.  Folks from the internet group had a gathering at the Outside Inn in Nevada City.  In the office of the Inn, I found some more bear friends to talk to.

outside-inn.jpg

At the party, all the people sat around and talked about bears….imagine that, how they design bears, how they joint bears, how they put eyes on bears, all about airbrushing and markers and hand painted eyes.  Wow, so much heavy bear maker brainpower all in one room! 

During other parts of the day, we did some research to find out more about the building the show is in.  The building was originally built in 1856, and served as the metalworking operation for the mines in the area around Nevada City.  The foundry continued to be used for metal work including steel fabrication until 1974.  The building has thick natural stone walls, heavy timber beams and a metal roof.  Today the building is owned and operated by the Nevada County Cultural Preservation Trust.  It is used for the several arts companies and is rented out for weddings and other gala events. 

This year is the 23rd year that the International Teddy Bear Convention has been housed in the Foundry Building. 

Back in the early days of the convention, the restroom facilities were mostly a short row of porta-potties in the back parking lot.  Artist’s quickly learned to carry large sheets of sturdy plastic which were used to cover their tables and bears at night, and on  particularly raining days, during the show hours too because the aging tin roof leaked.

Now days there are brand new indoor restroom facilities, and a new roof was put on a few years back, but the wonderful atmosphere of the facility remains.  It feels like all those miners of all those years are still here enjoying the bears, and the bears feel right at home in the building too.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Bev,
     I can't believe I missed this topic before now.  Thanks sooo much  for taking the time to post everything, especially the pictures - it sounds like it was a blast.  I love any chance to see more teddies.  Thanks again,

Hugs,

Brenda

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

great report! sounds like a fun time

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

How did I miss this??

What a great report! I love how it's from the bears perspective.

Sounds llike he had fun

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

Bev,

Great show report!  I have been doing the show for several years, and I must say I learned a few things about the history of the show and the wonderful old foundry.  Very informative and fun.  (I'm really glad we don't have to resort to porta-potties anymore.)

About that little flower bear of mine ... this solves a mystery.  Ever since the show, she has been pining away  about some handsome bear that tried to sweep her off her feet.  Now I know who it was!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh 

Hugs,  Donna B

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great report, Bev.  Sorry Tucker was being uncooperative.  Typical little boy stuff, that. bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Super report, Bev . . . love your little guy's view of the bear show.  Looking forward to Day 2!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

What a great start to your story.  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.  I look forward to day two. bear_thumb

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Thankyou so much for sharing with us.  Loved the photos.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Thank you for sharing the International Teddy bear convention photos and I loved your bear telling the stories.

Hugs

Carolyn
bear_flower

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Bev I ADORED this show report!!!!   I loved reading about it from a bear's point of view  bear_grin

Board footer