Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So, for the past 2 weeks I've woken up every morning at about 3:30am after having a very in depth, vivid, in color, detailed, seemed to go on forever kind of dream. Every dream has taken some part of my real life and then twisted it all up. They aren't nightmares but some are a bit disturbing. I have to get up, go downstairs, have a drink of water, wander the house, usually end up cleaning the kitchen then go back to bed. When I wake from these dreams I'm WIDE awake and just can't go back to sleep.  bear_wacko

I've always been a dreamer but these dreams are different... it's like watching an action or suspense movie.... it feels like it lasts hours (though I've read dreams only last a few second to a minute or so). And they disturb me.  bear_shocked

How do I make it stop??????????? Sleeping pills of any kind make me feel hung over in the morning and I have a hard enough time getting my butt up without that!! I dont' eat before bed (when I do the dreams turn to nightmares... seriously!). I try to stretch before bed so I go to sleep relaxed and I don't lay there thinking about anything, I always go right to sleep.

Yes, I've been under stress of all sorts lately but you'd think that would make me more tired and I'd just plain SLEEP.

Suggestions?????  bear_noexpression

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Sorry to hear that!
I dream a lot too!
I have noticed on days I eat good and exercise I seem to sleep
better, a deeper longer sleep without dreams!
Hope it gets better. bear_original

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

I know abit about dreams and if you want to know what they mean, you could send me a PM of what happens in your dreams. I feel that if you know what the dream means, it is easier to make it go away.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Daphne, normally waking up early morning is signs of depression, and most depressions, are a form of anger that we cannot not release. Looking at what you are having to cope with at the moment you can see just how much anger you must have bottled up inside of you.
Anger because you Dad is not well and you want him to be like the Dad you always know.
Anger because your life has been interupted, and the list can go on and on, and instead of been able to say I am so cross about everything that has happened, you have to pretend and put on a show that you are fine and be strong for the other family members.
Having to cope with all this just makes it worse, especially when the end is perhaps not going to be the end you really want. It seems like your mind is not shutting down when you do go to sleep.
My suggestion is to either speak to someone in the medical profession, to talk thru your feelings, medication can sometimes help for a short period, but I do agree that they can leave you feeling worse the next day, and then you get into a vicious circle, taking one pill to help cope with the taking of another pill.
Also speaking to a minister can help, but someone with professional help is the best person to turn to, before you start getting yourself in a real mess.

bear_flower
Lynette

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Lots of great advice here....I hope you find a solution that's right for you and enables you to get more rest  :hug:

I have vivid dreams too, and like Renae I'm sometimes watching myself on TV or in other situations. However, I enjoy my dreams and experiences for the most part and absolutely don't let them add to the stress I already feel! Something I can vouch for is writing things down. If I'm going through a bad patch I'll write two or three (small) pages of 'stuff' as soon as I wake in the morning. I know people who do this at night too. Stream of conciousness 'stuff', literally anything that pops into your mind with no censorship allowed (hide the pages or burn them so no-one gets to peek!). It really helps to clear out the clutter and enables you to focus on the things that are really important.

My own anxiety has really improved since starting this little writing exercise. I also see a homeopath. It works for me!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Try a herbal remedy with valerian(not sure of the spelling) and hops. Its natural and might help. Its called
night all or something here.

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Daphne..

My mother told me that she has dreams like you mentioned whenever she eats chocolate...and I thought..no!! please don't let that be right, well I started having some and yes...it does seem to be whenever I eat chocolate, much to my disgust!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You all have some great suggestions!

(I did a study on the meaning of dreams and have tons of books... in the cellar someplace. I can see where all my dreams are coming from. I just want them to GO AWAY!) bear_original

It's been mentioned that hormones can factor into this, which can be upset by stress too so it all comes back to STRESS! And a bit of anxiety or depression. And lack of exercise. And I'm brushing my teeth and washing my face in the wrong order (heck, last night I didn't have the energy to even wash my face... but I still had my 3:30am dream!) So, with some discipline I can get rid of a few of my stresses like getting those horrid bunnies finished... they alone could be giving me nightmares! And cleaning my house and the list goes on. Exercise would be good for me too! And I'm sure some natural supplements would help. And I'll keep pad and pen at my bedside.

Thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions!! I'll let ya know what works and expect to have peaceful sleep by the weekend! bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, Denise... chocolate will do that! That's why I quit eating before bed as I was always grabbing a little chocolate candy or something. Guess I'll watch my choc intake during the day more closely too!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Gee Daph, I have no advice, but I expect it is the stress too.  You have had more than your share lately.  I hope you find a solution soon as the lack of sleep with just make things worse.   Take care !   :hug:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Daphne another good stress release- excercise- walk the dogs, more walk the dogs. Beleive me it helps.

Lynette

beary_clairey Luton

Hi Daphne,

I do agree with Lynette. Its definitely stress. I always dream vivid horrible dreams when I'm worried and stressed.

I think the best way to get rid of them is to talk to someone, maybe a therapist or a helpline. A stranger probably being the best idea as they will just let you talk about all your worries without trying to solve them.

OR have a worry bear. Get a favourite bear and when you have a nightmare or disturbing dream,go and sit down with him and tell him all your worries and upset.The act of just talking about it, even to a bear could help you to really relax and feel alot better.

CRAZY but it could well work !!!

Hugs

Claire

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!

For excercise late in the day yesterday I cleaned the house! That's the most productive form of exercise I know! Even mopped the floors on my hands and knees and washed the windows. And I still left cleaning for today... the cellar needs reorganizing. These are things that have been nagging at me for a while so not only am I getting excercise but I'm taking care of some stress causing stuff.

AND at the suggestion of a lovely TT'er in a PM... I've started taking magnesium and Flaxseed Oil (Omega-3). I've already forgotten why they were recommend  :doh:  but the calcium/magnesium pill I need anyway and I keep reading about the benefits of Omega 3 for humans and animals so I have nothing to loose.

And just verbalizing my dream issue to you guys seems to have thrown it out there to get stomped on, evalutated and resolved.

The good news......

NO FREAKY 3:30 am dream last night!!!! I did dream on and off but nothing that woke me up so I never saw 3:30 on my alarm clock! Yippee!!!

What'll I do when my house is clean???

Oh, yes, the dogs...............  bear_tongue

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

What will you do when your house is clean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!mow the lawn, pack your teddy bear room straight, pack the linen cupboard. File the household papers. Clean the car.
Ha you are talking to someone who can never sit still, everytime I get back from a trip, the only way I can relax and get back into my normal routine is to clean, and clean again.
I was once told by a phyco therapist that when the moon went into a certain phase- it affected me by making me clean- well according to hubby- I never come out of that phase.
Good to hear that you passed the bewitching hour of 3.30  bear_thumb

Lynette

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

LOL...what can you do afterwards?? Come help me clean my bear room Daphne!!!   bear_laugh   Well, I suppose the house could use it before the bear room, but hey the bear room's more fun  bear_rolleyes

I'm so glad to hear the dreams have resolved themselves.  And yes, much of it is your body crying out for a bit of help in response to everything that's going on.  *wags finger mummy mod* Do be sure you're eating properly and taking care of your insulin correctly!  I know stress can cause a cavalier "who care's??" response, but this is no time to be playing with your health.  *mummy mode off* 

:hug: Sorry I'm so late with my replies and responses here on Teddy Talk, but you've been very much in my thoughts gal  :hug:

Stellajella Wien

Daphne,
obviousely oyu don´t sleep deeply enough, because, as I have heard, we always dream while asleep, but we only remember the stories while we´re in a phase of light sleep, which usually happens before we wake up.
Try autogenic training before you got to sleep to completely relax your body and your mind.
When I eat turkey salami,which I leike, I end up having the weirdest dreams and I blame the pork, that is added to this kind of salami.

I wish you sweet dreams bear_thumb ....and try a dreamcatcher...

Gaby bear_flower

Board footer