Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

wannabear Mini Fine Things
Colorado

Can anyone help me?  I need to remove some eyes, they ended up too close together and the bear is completely finished....LOL...........Need to make some changes.  It is not my bear but it feels like they are plastic disks behind the black eye.

Shelly

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Not sure I fully understand... but if it feels like there are plastic discs behind the eye, it would be a safety eye.  That would mean finding the backseam, taking it apart to reach the joint (if its jointed).  Undo the head, remove the joint, pull out the stuffing, turn head inside out, reach for a pair of wire cutters to cut the plastic safety disc off the back.  Then very carefully stitch the eye holes together.  It may be that you'll need to create a 'patch' behind this piece depending on what material the bear is made from, to help support the material. 

Then you can flip the head, and restuff and replace the eyes where you like  bear_happy   Well, as long as they're glass eyes.  If you want the safety eyes again, you'll need to decide where you'd like the eyes first, and then make the holes, reinsert the eyes, turn head, restuff, rejoint, and eventually resew the backseam. 

Are you sure the eyes are too close??  I can't think of any cool needlesculpting that would help...perhaps one of the other girls can help come up with a creative solution so you don't have to go through all that work?

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I agree with Debbie, there is no other way to remove them that I know of  if they are safty eyes ...

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I had to remove safety eyes on a bear I was making because I didn't like the position. I used a hair dryer on the disk, and it came off without too much struggle, and I was able to re-use it after........Need to have the blow dryer on high heat, but low speed.......give it a try to see if it works for you!

Good luck......pandamac

wannabear Mini Fine Things
Colorado

Thank you all for the suggestions!  I am a very impatient type of person so before any one answered me I just dove in and tried to make it look better.  First I did some trimming around the nose and eyes, then I did some poking with a needle and upholstery thread and now I am doing some needlefelting on the face and ears.  Not sure yet if it is a female or male but it is turning out kinda cute.  With the needle sculpting i managed to pull the eyes a part a little more to make them look better.  Thank you. 

Shelly N

Board footer