Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys.

Remember a while ago I was asking a bunch of questions because a co-worker of mine had an old bear she wanted to be restored. Well, I was just going to put eye in him, but after I saw him I offered to restore him for a fee,

for those of you that missed that post, here's her reply. I find it very touching as a bear maker. I only one day my bears are that well loved.

This is what she wrote....

He's been my bestest friend throughout the years, comforted me when I'd cry, listened to all my girly problems – he gives such great hugs..

How can I not give him back a full life in which he can see me again (& all his new buddies at your house – you included), be able to walk comfortably on new foot pads, lick honey from new paws?

He so deserves to have a makeover by the loving teddy bear creator that you are.

Yes, let's go for the whole package!  But don't touch the stitches on his back please – my Mom sewed him up after my brother operated on him – guess he was sick – Pooh that is, then again guess my brother was a little sick operating on a bear without consent!   Any how Mom won't be sewing ever again now that she's sick – so I want/need to preserve those loving stitches of hers.

How sweet is that?? Oh my.

So anyway, I've promised before and after pics. Let me tell you, sewing pawpads over the already stuffed limbs is NOT as easy as I thought. LOL

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

abody.jpgtada.jpgaface.jpgbbody.jpgbface.jpgHere are the before and after shots.....
I decided to add the vest to cover the baldage on the belly.

It's the 1st time I have ever sewn a piece of clothing. I made the vest pattern all by myself. I'm very proud!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Excellent, outstanding makeover, Heather!  Nice job!!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:clap:  :clap: Awesome job Heather!!  That's so cool that you could be a part of the life of this teddy! bear_wub  bear_wub

:hug:
Tracy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Very nice, Heather! bear_happy

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Heather, he's fabulous!  His owner will be absolutely delighted - I know I would.  Great job on the vest - see, it's not that hard.  You should try some other clothes patterns.  Job well done, girly - pat yourself on the back!  You'll have to let us know her response, when she sees him for the first time.

Hugs,

Brenda

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Heather, you did a fantastic job and should be extremely proud of yourself. I'm sure your co-worker will enjoy her re-newed teddy for many years to come!

Congratulations, :clap:  :clap:
Marion

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks guys! I'm about to give the bear to her in an hour.

I can't wait!!

Brenda, you're right. It isn't that hard to sew clothes. It's soo fast, you sew it up, clip threads and your done. No stuffing etc.

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Wow ! Great job ! This bear looks really happy after his restoration ! bear_thumb

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

You've done him proud Heather - well done!  He looks very handsome indeed!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Heather,
You and the makeover had been on my mind for the last week.  I was ready to send you a message about how it was coming.  Has your co-worker seen the bear yet?  He looks like he will be ready to pass down to the next generation with no problem.  You should be proud of yourself.
Donna

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Again, thank you guys! And no, she hasn't seen him yet! I'm going insane!

Thanks for thinking of me Donna. I really couldn't have done it without you. Plus, now I have some size 3 perle cotton! LOL

I really appreciated doing this, it was a good lesson in teddy making. Where they came from, and how they are loved.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Heather you have done a great job on the Bear... she must be really really pleased to have her long time buddy restored.....

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Wow Heather!  You did an amazing job.  Your co-worker must be thrilled with her new/old bear.

Jane

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

A wonderful repair!!  You've accomplished something that I've always wanted to try but was too timid.  Good for you!!   bear_flower

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

WOW, Heather!!!!!
I'm very impressed!
What a wonderful experience for you, the bear and his mama!!
And thank you so much for sharing it with us.
You must tell us how many tears of happiness she cried when she saw him!!!
I'm curious... did she have any pictures of him when he was fairly new for you to go by?
What an amazing job you did!

Daphne

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks guys........... :redface:  :redface:

Daphne, I didn't have any pictures to go by, so it was pretty tough and nerve-wracking. But I did go into the Edinburgh website so she could pick the right color for his eyes. That was a great thing.

She was soo happy to get him back. She just kept hugging him and looking into his face. It was so nice for her to see him again. ANd I know it sounds strange, but I swear I could feel the bear happiness to see her!
Okay, I'm a weirdo! lol Thanks Daph for your comments.

Aleta, try it! It's so much fun. I was really scared too, but with some advice from Donna and my bearmaking skills it wasn't that bad.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

You did soooo well, Heather!
Congrats!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

One more question.... vest pattern.... source?

I'm sure there are many. I've seen a few but haven't tried them. I love the vest you made... looks simple... I've never made clothes before and sort of fudged my way through a couple of felt vests but I have a closet full of quilt fabric and just had a friend give me a trash bag full of wool fabric and I envision hundreds of little bear vests!!!!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

For those who have not done a restoration yet, here is a tidbit of info.  Many times the old guys were jointed using nails.  The nail would be put through the hole in the disc in the arm and then turned into a wierd shape inside the bear.  Over many years of moving arms and legs the nail head would wear down the center of the disc and the nail head would pull through the disc.  That is how many an old bear lost an arm or leg. 
That is why we now use metal washers to protect the disc from wearing away.  Those old guys have so much to teach us!
Donna

Board footer