Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I enjoyed Louise's message about her granddaughter thinking she had "too much stuff". She mentioned the different things she collected.
I collect bears, Lilliput Lane houses, Inuit artwork (sketches and carvings),  dragons, cat figurines, pewter.
I know my kids dread having to distribute all of it. I do mention to them at times to get proper appraisals. I worry about my houses ending up as ornaments in fish tanks!  bear_angry

What collections do you all have?

Marion

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Marion,
     I know what you mean about our kids.  At Xmas time, I like to put teddies on the staircase - my daughter would turn them upside down for fun.  When I said, "be careful, they'll be yours someday", her response was "don't leave me those dust collectors!"  Now that she knows my R. John Wright pieces are worth a bit, she says she'd take those LOL!  She'll never see them.   My two year old grandson doesn't care for soft toys either - give him a hockey stick!  My son is more in tune to my things, but lives in Japan.  I do have a niece who adores my bears, so who knows where they will end up. 
     I used to be a big Xmas ornament collector and have about 2000.  I don't collect many anymore, as I have too many to display now.
     The only other thing I collect is antique german paper mache easter eggs and candy containers.  I have about a dozen pieces and I looooove them.  My daughter even likes those.  I don't think I will collect much more, as cleaning up the house for sale taught me we have "way" too much "stuff".  The only thing my little ole heart would love to have is just one really antique teddy.  That would make me complete.  Take care and bye for now.

Hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Marion,  bear_flower
Collections!!  I love this topic!

Hi Lisa,  bear_flower
I think it comes from our husbands both being builders.  They save every little thing thinking that someday they may need it!  We have a four bay garage and two of them are filled with boy "stuff".  Like your husband, my husband knows where everything is so you don't dare move anything.   bear_shocked   

Hi Brenda,  bear_flower
We are certainly kindred spirits!  I collect German paper Easter eggs too!  Just this year I started collecting antique Easter egg molds.  Weird?  Probably.  They just have the nicest old silver patina and the most lovely designs.  I seem to be attracted to old silver things this year as I've collected quite a stash of old silver childrens cups.  I even found one engraved "Teddy"! 

Let's see.  What else do I collect?  I collect a lot of things.....for the bears, of course!   bear_happy   Antique and vintage childrens clothing, velvet posies, silk ribbon, demitasse cups, miniature books, lace......The list goes on and on.  Bears have to have friends now don't they?  That has lead to collecting antique bears as well as traditional artist bears.  Bears need things to do and things to play with so they need tables and chairs and beds and dressers as well as toys and games. 

It's now wonder people walk into my studio and wonder if, in fact, it's a store!!  That's actually my master plan.....to one day have my own shop again. 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta
The list goes on and on.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I am an eclectic collector I think. Besides bears of course, I am with Aleta. Bears MUST have toys and I have a collection of them, mostly vintage ride on type toys, rocking horses, giraffe ride on toy, a mohair rocking yak to ride on, and I collect Santas. But my favorites have to be vintage child's clothing (christening gowns, lederhosen and my favorites Sailor suits and military clothing and patches)
Sonya

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What fun!  I want to visit ALL of you and see your pretty shiny things!

I have a few collections, but they didn't ever start out being "collections."  They are just things I really liked and, once I got more than three of them, I guess they fell into that category.

I collect:

--  Large format, photo-rich, hardcover, coffee table books, with a focus on teddy books; interior decorating books; gardening books (but my own yard is an absolute mess; no time!); and art/design/craft books;

--  Birdhouses, which I display on top of my bookshelves;

--  Craft supplies (you cannot BELIEVE the amount of stuff I have; I save every last thing "just in case" I'll need it in the future.  Which is good because I've found that, whenever I want to try a new craft, I generally already have about half the required tools and supplies!)

--  Unusual glass pitchers (also displayed on top of bookshelves.  We have a lot of bookshelves);

--  Rattan baskets.  You just never know when you'll need one to stick something in, and they look so pretty strewn about the house;

--  Artist bears;

and most recently (still waiting on a ton of them to arrive in the mail)...

--  Lampwork glass beads.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Well here is the junk my son was refering to.

0a1a1curio1.jpg  0a1a1curio2.jpg

0a1a1curio3.jpg  0a1a1curio4.jpg

My Dad would be so proud.

Many Hugs Louise

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Louise - the bride to the right in the buttom on the first picture - did you buy that doll on Ebay?

Hugs Birgitte

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I have tried to direct my collecting to things I use for the bears.  I just love collecting vintage lace.  I'm really happy now that garage sale and flea market season is here and I can go exploring to my hearts content.  Along with the lace, I like old skeleton type keys, old white cotton childrens dresses, ribbon, millinery flowers - well just about anything that the bears "may need" someday.  I figure that by steering the collecting to things I may need for the bears I can justify just about anything ;o)

Jane P.

Brockville, Ontario

I forgot to mention in my collection that of course I have a hugh bunch of 'stuff' for bear-making, in fact a room full.  :crackup:
We also have a lot of various prints and pictures and books, books, books. Probably about 20 bookcases in the house!
I always wonder at people who can live 'minimally' - our place is always wall to wall with stuff  cause I like to be surrounded by things I like!
Marion

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I've never been much for the minimalist look.  I've always gone for the maximalist look!!  :crackup:

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

dolls-3sized.JPGdolls-2-sized.JPGdolls1sizedbrt.jpgOoh, collections!!! Just love seeing and hearing what others collect! I have been a collector my whole life, and sure wouldn't stand a chance at being a minimalist!!
I collect:
antique dolls
barbie and other fashion dolls
modern dolls
antique and vintage bears
artist bears
manufactured bears
stuffed dogs
stuffed cats
doll and bear furniture and accessories including carriages and old trunks
dolls clothing
baby christening gowns
And I still have my collection of beanie babies and MacDonald's beanies that I chased all over town to get and now I have to keep them as you can't even give them away any more! lol!
My husband collects Inuit carvings, mechanical toys, and Steiff cows (along with some other uninteresting stuff like stamps and coins, etc!)
I just finished getting my doll display room organized before Christmas and finally was able to unpack some of my collection since we moved here 4 years ago. Now I need to get a couple more wall cabinets to hold the rest so it's still not quite done! I'll post a few photos but it is hard to see it clearly.
Can you tell that you struck a cord here! I am passionate about my collections!
Bear hugs, Edie

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Lisa, the large blonde doll is a Simon Halbig - 44" tall. The one standing is an AM390 and she is 31" tall. Hey, I don't have a Handwerk - hint, hint, right back! LOL!
Nothing like a room like this to cheer you up if you are feeling down! (Not sure it's cheaper than a therapist though, LOL!) I've been collecting for over 25 years and actually had more dolls than this at one point but sold some of them when we moved.
I love your decoupage trunks! It is great to see some of your doll collection too. Dolls used to be my passion but bears have kind of taken over the last few years - not that I don't still like the dolls though!
Bear hugs, Edie

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh dear.  my collecting tends to be directed to craft stuff especially bears and beads.
I didn't have any bears to recently VERY recently Merbear (Marion) was my second artist bear.  I have 4 now and am starting to get a feel for it LOL.
It's a good thing I have my craft room.
I will be able to display them properly once my room has been rearranged.

Teddytalk-best.jpgI looove looking at all the pictures of your collections!  Edie, I see a couple of Lenci dolls and some Kewpies!  Do you still collect Pumpkinhead bears?

Lisa, your collection is wonderful - what a beautiful room to relax in and I loooove your decoupage boxes!

Aleta, everytime one of these topics comes up, I am amazed again at our similar interests.  I also collect antique easter molds (surprise, surprise! LOL)  but mine are bunnies and chicks.  I have one really old one and have been trying to identify it.  I made a chalkware piece from it, and was going to put it with a bunny on Ebay but didn't have time.  I've posted a picture.  I want to learn how to make my pieces look more vintage.   I also have several silver baby cups - now this is getting weird!

The other fairly substantial collection I have is Children's literature.  I think I've said this before, but I just love the classics, illustrated by the wonderful Victorian masters like Arthur Rackham, Cicely Mary Barker, Beatrix Potter etc.   I have many, many copies of my favourites with different illustrators - Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, The Secret Garden, The Velveteen Rabbit and on and on and on, and it is my greatest gift that our wee grandson just loves books like his Nanny. 

Hugs,

Brenda

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Collections ~ I'm pretty sure that my family is not going to call in a dumpster to haul my treasures out to, but I'm really rather concerned about my 'Really Good Stuff" - aka Bear Business Stuff being disposed of. 

Has it ever been discussed about leaving a list of bear buddies, to be contacted as soon as the death certificate is signed? Seriously!!! It's a "No Questions Asked, Come Within The Next Week or It'll All Be Out On The Curb; Trash Day Is Thursday list." I have one but it needs updating.

So, knowing there are Lace ppl here and Children's book ppl - well anyone who wants to be on my list has only to email!

I've de-stashed myself of several categories already: weeded out lace-making books for instance. Sold some for what I paid 30 years ago and gave the rest away for the price of postage.

I'm a realist; the older I get the more I think about this - I'm gonna die someday and this stuff has Value to lots of ppl! 
DH wants my half of the storage space, and if he goes first, there are going to be lots of power tools 'available' and loads of aged oak & walnut.......

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Edie, I see a couple of Lenci dolls and some Kewpies!  Do you still collect Pumpkinhead bears?

Yes, Brenda I do still collect Punkinhead - love him!!!! They are on the bottom far left shelf of the cabinet in the second photo - just kind of dark, so hard to see! I have 3 of the Merrythought mohair bears and all kinds of other stuff as well. I just got into collecting Kewpies in the last year or so and love them! Must have close to a dozen now.
Did you really make that little chick with cart - I would have thought it was an antique!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I'm a realist; the older I get the more I think about this - I'm gonna die someday and this stuff has Value to lots of ppl!

I hear you Bobbie! I too have my days when I think "what am I doing with all this stuff!!!" Oh well, when I am gone it will be my daughter's problem (or my husband's!) and they both know the value of it all, so I might as well just relax and enjoy it for now! I keep saying that I am not going to move it all again though so if we don't stay here forever I guess it will all be on the auction block one day.
Bear hugs, Edie

Hi Edie,
    I went back to take a look for Punkinhead but you're right, the pic is too  dark.  Yep, I made the chick and cart - it's made from a really old antique mold that I acquired in an od way from Ebay.  I love chalkware.  I also have three ao bunny molds of different sizes.  I'm always thinking of other things to do. 

hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I am waaaay impressed with everybody's collections!  I have a trillion Beanie Babies, but not any of the oldest ones . . . rats!  I have a bunch of Boyd's Bearstone figurines, but had to quit because of space limitations.  Most of my "stuff" now is MOHAIR, buttons, ribbons, and other beary things.  I have a wall of tins signs with bears on them . . . all reproductions, but I love them.  I've told my kids many times that when I die, just put everything on ebay and they'll come away with some big bucks!

Brockville, Ontario

Bobbie - you hit a chord there. My mother was a quilter and you wouldn't believe the 'stuff' she had (actually, probably a lot of you would). When she suddenly died a couple of years ago - I was the one left holding the bag! You see, she was the last of her sewing buddies group and they had left all their stuff to her. I heard her in the hospital one day speaking to a nurse saying "wait til Marion has to go through all my material - she doesn't know I even have it hidden behind the wall"...and she did. We gave away many containers of beautiful cottons to Victoria Quilts in Ottawa who make quilts for cancer patients. I still have a lot of her laces and such but have shared the material and threads out as much as I can. Unfortunately, I don't quilt and don't want to start. Which is a shame cause she had a Janome embroidery/quilting machine with the scanner and all accessories, which I inherited. I just traded it with my sister who has taken up quilting - I hated to see the poor thing just sit there quiet when my Mom had used it up to 10 hours a day.  :redface:
I'll have to think on who I'll leave my bear stuff too - anyone I know around here making bears are even older than me!
Marion

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, some really amazing collections. Shelli's right, it would be a blast to come visit you all and check it out.

Edie, wow, your collection is huge! In one picture, in the top right hand corner are some deer and moose. What are they?? I want one............Sooo cute!

Me? well, I don't collect anything. Maybe just mohair... :crackup:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I collect so many things lol.  My room looks like a toystore with all the dolls and bears etc in it hehe bear_happy  I would love it if we could all visit and show each other our things.  How cool would that be bear_original

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I have a little collection of pigs!  However, they are almost all at my mum's house.

I have a small collection of artist bears - like about 6!  Unfortunately the Kiwi dollar is low agains the US and the pound so my buying power is extremely limited

I have a large collection of children's books - picture books and classics and more.

And I hoard buttons and ribbons and lace and scrapbooking papers and all sorts of things that I might need someday.  I gave away a lot of my vintage lace and have regretted it ever since!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

What a fabulous collection you all have !!!!
So cool !  bear_cool

I really love to visit you all.  bear_laugh  I'll start from Louise and Edie in Canada , then visit  Aleta's future shop in USA and visit Lisa in  Australia!   I wish...  bear_grin

I love to collect  fancy tableware but
I don't think I can call mine as collection yet....
I love dolls but I own one only,  bear_tongue
I love to start collecting Artist bears & friends but I own only 3bear (from TT member with swap ), I own 1 golly girl.

My room is full of bearly stuff,
books, mohair, ribbon , tiny toy , old keys.
and I'm very happy with my bearly supply.
he he

Hugs/Marie

Board footer