Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Hello everyone,
I am thinking about buying a used sewing machine for a backup and was wondering what your thoughts might be on a quality brand and model #. I was thinking about a Bernina because I know they have had a very good reputation.

Thanks so much.

Bonnie

Karon Posts: 751

Hi Bonnie

One of my favourite subjects!

Yes I would definately recommend Bernina - particularly the 800 series - super machines and 100% reliable.  For a modern machine in a reasonable price bracket Janome are very good.  The vintage Berninas are fun to use though!

Karon

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

I know you are looking for a used machine but I can tell you that the modern Bernina's are a feast to work with as well. I have a recent Quilting Edition type Bernina. Ever since I had the pleasure to be allowed to sew with my aunt's Bernina at the age of 13 or 14 (so that must have been in '65  bear_happy ) I dreamt about having a Bernina of my own. It took some time but I finally got it  bear_thumb some 2 years ago.
I think a vintage Bernina would be great to have as a spare machine. Maybe you would even start using it as your main machine  bear_original

Hugs,
Marianne

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Thanks Karen and Marianne for the input about the machine. I am going to try and get a Bernina if I can find a really good one.

Hugs,
Bonnie

Board footer