Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Hello everyone,
I am thinking about buying a used sewing machine for a backup and was wondering what your thoughts might be on a quality brand and model #. I was thinking about a Bernina because I know they have had a very good reputation.

Thanks so much.

Bonnie

Karon Posts: 751

Hi Bonnie

One of my favourite subjects!

Yes I would definately recommend Bernina - particularly the 800 series - super machines and 100% reliable.  For a modern machine in a reasonable price bracket Janome are very good.  The vintage Berninas are fun to use though!

Karon

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

I know you are looking for a used machine but I can tell you that the modern Bernina's are a feast to work with as well. I have a recent Quilting Edition type Bernina. Ever since I had the pleasure to be allowed to sew with my aunt's Bernina at the age of 13 or 14 (so that must have been in '65  bear_happy ) I dreamt about having a Bernina of my own. It took some time but I finally got it  bear_thumb some 2 years ago.
I think a vintage Bernina would be great to have as a spare machine. Maybe you would even start using it as your main machine  bear_original

Hugs,
Marianne

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Thanks Karen and Marianne for the input about the machine. I am going to try and get a Bernina if I can find a really good one.

Hugs,
Bonnie

Board footer