Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Pages:
jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Shelli...I just read this...I actually did some bear-making today!!!

I know how you feel exactly..I had one of my old designs reselling on ebay ...the opening bid was £1...I couldn't even have it on my watch list ..it made me feel sick!!! Is that pathetic...no I don't think so. My old haircuts that I did years ago don't turn up on ebay to haunt me...so that's why I think it stresses me out when old bears do...because the people who sell them often don't appreciate the long road we've all travelled to get where we are...and it's not that I want to forget how I got here...it's just that I've moved on now.

I am inconsistent at everything I do...except that I hope each bear is how I want it to be. Life took me over last year and I let loads of people down because I developed vertigo which effectively stopped me working at the pace I had been working at..and my productivity was zilch for ages. Now I work at a slower pace altogether and it suits me fine.

I had a run of a few resells on ebay recently...I was traumatised ...but then again if people think that the bears are sought after then they will see opportunities and who can blame them.

I think you'll find that there is a whole army of Potbelly Bear fans waiting for brand new bears, hot off your sewing machine to appear...and the appeal of those is far more tantalising than the resells. ....

K Pawz Guest

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: Paula, well said...

Shelli I can't really think of anything more to say than what everyone has already told you other than hang in there...with your abilities you will come through this time of insecurity with flying colors :hug:  :hug:

Big Hugs,
Krista

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ha!  I love that!  Renae, you're a love.  I'm delighted that you see me that way. Organized and smooth-sailing.

I must be good at faking it, somehow, or you guys are just REALLY gullible!, because in reality, how I FEEL, is this way:

2004-05-05_224311_bill-cat.gif

Thanks again for all your kind words.  They've really brought me out of my mini funk.  Sometimes we all need a swift kick in the pants.  Ya know?

You have my gratitude.

bear_flower

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Shelli!!!!  The very first thing I thought when I read your post was - Funny - SHE has nothing to feel insecure about!  It really suprises me when I read that people like yourself, the TOP bear makers, can feel just as insecure as I do - it's FANTASTIC!!!!!!!   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:    bear_tongue   Just a joke!

Seriously though - you have nothing to feel insecure about!  I know how you feel about old bears - I won't even venture into a bear shop because they have some of my old work, and when I see them, they send shivers up my spine LOL

That lady selling the bear for more than double what she paid is just plain greedy.  It doesn't detract from the bear, or your work - people will just think the lady is asking too much.. collectors will think nothing of your work!

Sorry to hear this year hasn't been great - it'll get better.. we all love you here and all admire you as a woman AND as an artist!

Chin up!
Danni

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh Shelli, chin up dear...your work is amazing!  I have noticed that other artists who fetch high amounts on ebay, if someone re-sells their work it never fetches the same price, not even in the ball park usually...so please don't let that discourage you.  Why do people sell? Maybe they need the money...I can't imagine anyone parting with a bear especially one of yours for any other reason.... :hug: It must be heartbreaking tho  bear_cry

From personal experience I know that once you get your heart stuff sorted out it will get easier..not knowing is a huge stress believe me!  We will both be getting stuff out of the way in the next couple of weeks with our hearts so if you need to talk or ask I'm here okay.  I've been through so many heart tests!!  Heart stuff really slows everything down, it makes you feel so tired on top of everything else!  :hug:

I do realize that all bearmakers have their work resold at one point or another.  It's happened to me many times and it's never before been an issue for me.  I can understand what you're going through and don't be too hard on yourself...illness and other stressful situations magnify every problem!  A small thing seems like a huge issue!  Not that it isn't upsetting to you, but as you said, at other times it would't even bother you...exactly what I go through when life gets too complicated...

Anyhoos... I've been scant on eBay over the last year because it's been difficult for me to meet the needs of my retailers (with whom I will no longer work after August, purely for reasons of stress reduction) and my family and eBay -- all three.
Me too again!!!  No ebay or even bears on my adopt page...just orders and other commitments, have been keeping me busy coz I just don't have the energy to move at more than a snails pace either...health and family, it takes a lot from 'work' time, and don't you find that even when you have time all you want to do is sleep!  My mind says I want to do this or that but I am just so exhausted I can't physically do anything!!

I really don't want my reputation to suffer any hits or loss of standing because life and health issues have forced me to cut back productivity;

Same worries again, what I have done is be very honest with collectors, without overdoing it I hope, but thanking them for support, they have been wonderful, and by letting them know whats going on at least they are in the know and not wondering where I have gone....

And I really love bearmaking and hope to keep doing it, profitably, for a long time to come.  I guess I'm worried I've lost some ground in the industry and, of course, it's adding to my stress!
yay, me too...LOVE it...and know how you must be feeling, just want to make more, do more, experiment more...just no time! 

I'm praying that things will get better for you really quickly!!!!! bear_flower

xox Sarah :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Shelli
Your work is wonderful. I have seen your bears on ebay. I happen to know the collectors selling them and I would not take it as a bad thing at all. I know that they sell many of thier bears to make space for new ones all the time. It is hard not to take it personally, but really, it doesn't reflect on you. Everyone knows your bears are wonderful.
Hugs
Sonya

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shel,

There really isn't anything I could say that hasn't already been said.

When life's stresses.... relationships, health issues, etc..... start knocking you down it's easy to get discouraged about EVERYTHING, feel out of control, insecure, etc.

YOU know you are talented. YOU know your work sells. Sure, you have a reputation you'd like to uphold in the bear community. But at the same time, you can't worry about what others think. You need to worry about what's best for you and your family. That comes before anything else.

Stressing out over the reselling of your work is NOT going to help you improve your health situation. You've already rationalized.... and very correctly I think.... the whys as to your bears being resold, not selling etc. Your bears, especially your recent work, is in demand. Those who buy your bears on eBay know your work and likely want your latest and greatest designs.... not your earlier work, regardless of how wonderful those early bears are. So just keep sewing bears when you can. Get one on eBay when it's possible.

You are a wonderful artist, mother, wife and friend. You are also a very busy woman and just might be over extending yourself a wee bit. Please take care of YOU!!!!! The rest will all be just fine!!! Hubs kept telling me that and I had a hard time believing him but ya know, he's right!!! Might not be the way you wanted or expected but it will be fine.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shelli, at the risk of sounding like a broken record...it's all been said and I say hear hear to all these wonderful comments and words of encouragement. Bearmaking is supposed to be fun and enjoyable...and relaxing. I'd imagine with the popularity of your bears it's hard to feel you can slack off without the guilts attacking you. But maybe it's time....
Slow down, make the bears you want to make, when you want to make them. You have made a sensible decision in letting the retailers go...I can't see them bringing you the same exposure that ebay does anyway...but what do I know. bear_wacko

You are in the enviable position that you have a large audience of collectors just waiting for that next wonderful creation to become available...so you just take your time....take a step back and look at what REALLY matters. And most importantly, take care of yourself, because if you don't...Potbelly Bears will become a thing of the past. Only Shelli Heinemann can create Potbelly Bears. :dance:
Love and hugs to you :hug:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Shelli,

You are a very talented lady - as an artist, graphic designer, and mother.  Your work is great!  If I saw an artist bear being resold and it didn't sell or went low, I wouldn't think it reflected on the artist at all.  If you do good work and people like your stuff, that's all that matters.  If I love an artists' stuff, then I like an artists' stuff period.  Outside of that, didn't a certain skunk win a certain award last year?  And didn't a certain pig get nominated for a TOBY this year?   :crackup:   I don't think those are bad signs.   bear_original

Please take care of yourself and try not to overdo.  Sending many hugs your way.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Shelli, T%ake care of yourself and remember We love you and your bears! :hug:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

AAAawwww Shelli your bears are absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!
I think that when you are not 100% in yourself, you tend to question things.
As the others have said, take a good hard look at what your creating, they are very original, superbly executed, and definatly your own style.
It is sad that these people try to make a buck out of your hard work, but I think buyers are getting very savvy out there now and realize that it is NOT direct from the artist and that is why they are not selling them.
Wouldn't you prefer to buy something that came direct from the actuall artist, I know I would.
Cheer up sweet little chicky, your bears are WONDERFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shelli, I can't say it any better than the others have already.  You have NOTHING to worry about.  You work is incredible, and very unique.  Your talent continues to amaze me with each new bear you create.  I've never had  one of my bears re-sold , but I expect I would feel a little insecureand weird about it too.  I think that is only natural. 

Firstly, take care of yourself.  It doesn't sound like you need extra stress.  Your health is important so put that first.  Your boys need their mom to be around for a long time !!!   :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Shelli, Shelli, Shelli, :hug:

Who was it who sold out completely at her last bear show when everyone was saying that shows were slow? Remember? bear_ermm

Your collectors will wait. Take care of that anxiety/heart thing first--it can be work and family stress, but it can also sometimes be a time-of-life signal, which passes when your body gets comfortable on the next level.

I can't think of anyone who's come so far so fast in the Bear Game. You have every right to take a break.

I just hope you can find a decaf that doesn't taste like decaf! bear_tongue  If you do, let me know!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Shelli, big hugs coming your way,  :hug: ditto everyone has covered it with wonderful words here.

Look after your health first.  :hug: please.... :hug:

Your bears speak for themselves, they have your unique look all heart and soul and we know they are your work, collectors will wait for your unique work to appear, you and your bears will not be forgotten.   Don't stress just look after yourself and go at your own pace and do what you enjoy the most :hug:  :hug:

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears
Shelli wrote:

To the rest of you... I just can't thank you enough for the kindness of your comments about me and my bears.  Words fail me.  Your support has moved me to tears, truly.  The good kind, I mean.

Thank you so much.

Hugs and love,  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Enough said - hopefully we've done the trick and cheered you up just a little.   :hug:

TTrs always speak the truth -all the comments were meant from the heart and delivered to a very nice Lady. Just imagine if we had all descended en masse to your house to deliver these good wishes personally - wow - what a rave up that would have been. :crackup:  :crackup:

Take Care

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Everyone's all ready said it so eloquently for me, but really and truly your bears are a work of art!!!  There's no need to add to the stress...so I'm sending you along massive, fuzzy bear hugs  :hug:  :hug: From all the bears in my bear room, critters n me!  :hug:

You and your health come first and foremost...the rest is just details...  bear_happy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, I felt better after, like, the first two or three posts!  We all have these moments of insecurity -- bear related or otherwise -- but sometimes we need a little help to ride thru the storm.  Ya know? 

I got that, in spades, from all of you... and thank you for it with all the gratitude I have.  I feel really "seen" and cherished and appreciated here, which is a gift many people never know in their entire lives.  I'm just... blessed.  No other word for it.

Thank you all so much... and to those of you who celebrate it, Happy 4th of July!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Dear Shelli  bear_flower ,

I can hardly add to anything that all the wonderful tter’s here have not all ready said.
Being new to the tb business I have not had that experience as yet, for I am just working on promoting my bears. So, I can not express any options on how it would feel. However, I have been a professional artist for many years and have seen my work priced down at gallerys at 50% sales. So, I think I can relate a little. With that said I don’t feel I can say anything that you don’t already know with your experience and wisdom in the business. So, I will just offer big hugs and say “YOUR WORK IS AMAZING AND INDEED VISUAL SPEAKS FOR IT’S SELF” (and that it is not shouting text) only a expression of enthusiasm.

Your health Shelli is the most truly important thing here. So, please do take care of yourself for all who love you and care for you.
Because, with all things said; that truly is all that matters.

Hugs kassie

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website
Chowlea Bears wrote:
Shelli wrote:

To the rest of you... I just can't thank you enough for the kindness of your comments about me and my bears.  Words fail me.  Your support has moved me to tears, truly.  The good kind, I mean.

Thank you so much.

Hugs and love,  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Enough said - hopefully we've done the trick and cheered you up just a little.   :hug:

TTrs always speak the truth -all the comments were meant from the heart and delivered to a very nice Lady. Just imagine if we had all descended en masse to your house to deliver these good wishes personally - wow - what a rave up that would have been. :crackup:  :crackup:

Take Care

Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! Party central!!  :bday:  :dance:  :dance:

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Dear Shelli,
Here's a little quote from my favourite book "The Gift of Courage" by Paul Speicher, that might help.

"God broke the endless circle of time into hours and days so that, hour by hour and day by day, we might be able to go along and keep quite strong. But we in our foolishness act as if we were wiser than God. We take all the weight of worry and strife which we believe we will meet in the future and carry it now, instead of allowing it to rest in peace until the time comes for it to trouble us."

All I can add is...
Don't worry about things that are beyond your control...just have faith in the things that are.

bear_thumb Keep your chin up kiddo,
Big beary hugs,
Sandi

Celena Oxford

Shelli, lots of  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  for you.

I hope you are feeling much better now.  All I can say is that YOU ARE A VERY TALENTED AND AN AMAZING BEAR ARTIST!  Don't let all these get to you.  You are good, your bears are lovely and that the truth!  bear_original

AND please take care of your health, that's very important.

Beary hugs
Celena

zemeski Posts: 434

Shelli wrote...how I FEEL, is this way:
cat.gif

You mean it isn't normal to always be like this?? bear_wacko  Ha! Ha!

Shelli - Everyone has spoken so many encouraging words that I feel better for you now!! Ha! Ha! You seem to be a tough and strong person. I think life has tossed you just a view to many things at one time. I believe in you and this to shall pass!!! I'm going to pray that God will restore your health and give you strength day by day. Take care of yourself and do what you can at your pace. Everything else will fall into place. 

:rose:

Remember this article in Teddy Bear Review December 2005. This article starts out saying " The EYES are the windows of the soul." Shelli your teddy bear eyes are the life expression. You bring each one of your bears to life with your starburst eyes!! I personally could look at them all day because they speak to me through their eyes.

EyesArt.jpg

Pages:

Board footer