Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Athina Posts: 17

Hi!
I hope I'm in the correct section for this question?

I really would like everyone's thought's on the quickest way they feel to baste? I would check the archives but, I never have much Luck with that bear_sad  I usually hand baste with thread and needle and really don't like the look when I skip the basting and just machine sew. On one of the forums someone suggested staples and there was something new out made especially for bears.

I will gladly take and and all suggestions bear_original  but, as with all of us the main objective is to get the best look possible.
Thanks Dawn

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm with you on this one Dawn, I always hand baste the tricky bits ... ie., the nose part of the head gusset, the ears, the footpads.  It's a slow process, but does give a good finish.

K Pawz Guest

I used to hand baste all the edges and backstitch the whole head and then move to the machine for the rest...but of late I am finding more often than not, i am sitting down and backstitiching the rest by hand...call me insane but it seems to be very theraputic, sure it takes longer, but I find with hand stitching I am able to get a bit more accurate, I am a sloppy machine sewer :crackup: ...not that there is anything wrong with machine stitching, and I am sure I would do it again with big bears...just I am finding it peaceful, not to mention my machine hates synthetics and does a number on them!!! Also I have been so lazy that I would rather hand sew than set up the machine and go that way!!!

But to answer your question I pin all pieces, then hand baste with overcast stitch, which is more reliable than just pins, and then hand sew the rest. So I end up with double sewn seams which seem to be a bit sturdier as well.

Hugs,
Krista

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use alligator clips to hold most parts securely.  Keep in mind I make large-ish bears, in the 12-20 inch range, so clips are a workable solution.  I also machine stitch my gusset in, like, six steps!, so basting isn't necessary since I just do one tiny area at a time aided by those strong clips.

However, in the REALLY fiddly areas, where my stitching must be super-precise -- footpads! -- even on a big bear, I baste them in first.  I use.. I dunno what the stitch is called... overcast?... placing my stitches about 1/4 inch apart.  It REALLY helps keep the footpads perfectly in place while I machine sew, but without the bulk and obstacle created by clips or pins.

Sometimes, you've just gotta do the yukky stuff!

I know Laura Lynn bastes using staples and even has a photo tutorial on how to do this.  She uses a special staple remover to get them out which is gentle on fabric as well.  I'll try to find it.  It might even be on her website.

LL, where are you...???

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm a genius!  Laughing here...  :crackup:  Actually, I just knew the "right" terms to use to find this because it stuck so solidly in my head.  It's LAURA who's the genius!

Enjoy!

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=674

Athina Posts: 17

Thanks Shelli and Everyone else for your quick replies they are so
appreciated!
And Shelli that is just what I was looking for haven't had a chance to read it slowly, but I think this is what I read the last time.

Thanks again Keep the suggections coming bear_thumb Dawn

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Dawn,

This is the tutorial Shelli mentioned.   I do exactly the same as LL!!   It's soooo easy!!  (I still hand sew the gusset and the footpads though!!)   bear_original

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=674

Good Luck!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I've been using the alligator clips for several years and make smaller bears. Couldn't do without them. I only hand-sew and I baste the foodpads first like Shelli does.

Marion

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA
MerBear wrote:

I've been using the alligator clips for several years and make smaller bears. Couldn't do without them. I only hand-sew and I baste the foodpads first like Shelli does.

Marion

Can you send a picture of that alligator clip ?? I think I know what it is. I hand sew every thing now. I love it . Even for a 10 inch bear , I still love it. I do a back stitch and you can't really tell if I used a machine or not when it is finished. It is nice and tight.But I still use pins, even with a 3 incher.I have just gotten used to it.

Jodi Falk

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I baste the bigger bears nose/muzzle area....but that's about it.  When I make a mini bear I just hand sew....well that's about the same as basting so i just take smaller stitches and get it done.

When I do real fur bears I use the extra large paper clips....

Gollys?  Nope not at all....Not really anything there to baste...and who would know the differance if they looked a little off kilter....I mean that's their normal state!...Being off kilter.

Golly hugs Dawn

dilu

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA
Dilu wrote:

I baste the bigger bears nose/muzzle area....but that's about it.  When I make a mini bear I just hand sew....well that's about the same as basting so i just take smaller stitches and get it done.

When I do real fur bears I use the extra large paper clips....

Gollys?  Nope not at all....Not really anything there to baste...and who would know the differance if they looked a little off kilter....I mean that's their normal state!...Being off kilter.

Golly hugs Dawn

dilu

************************************************** :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

OFF KILTER !!!! You crack me UP!!!!!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Jodi Falk

Board footer