Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Kim

you americans had all the exciting things....I read all the time when I was little and things like graeme crackers, grape kool-aid, Dr Pepper and peanut butter and jelly seemed like magical things to me!  There's still a whole lot of snack foods that books used to talk about that I have no idea what they are!

When I was 12 my sister went away to university.  The city where she lived had a sweet store that used to import all sorts of stuff and I was so excited when she bought me home a jar  of smucker's goober grape pb and jelly.

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

ewww people make hot marmite drink too - I tried it once and once only!

never had bovril, though you can buy it here.  my cousins used to have malt syrup - it came in a big tin and they'd get their spoonful every day.  i think i liked it, though I probably woudn't now.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Bovril sounds awesome.  I can eat a Knorr boullion cube raw.  Can somebody send me some?  I know they didn't have it at Cost Plus, where I found my Marmite and Vegemite right next to each other.  It surely would have been right there beside those two!!!

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Shelli - what did you think of the marmite?  If you can eat stock cubes I think it's not going to be a problem for you!  If you're serious I can send you bovril.  I signed up for an fda account thingy which means I can post food into the USA without a problem.  Just can't post easter eggs to my sister in the UK!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Kim--Cod Liver Oil?

Eileen

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Shelli

Looks like bovril has gone vegge - and is perhaps not that different to marmite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovril

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh... Cod Liver Oil... now that IS some terrible stuff, isn't it!  Truly, punishment in a bottle... I've heard awful stories about that stuff!  We never had to take it though!   :dance:  :hug:  :dance:

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

mam54 Posts: 8

Thanks to all of you! It's a rainy,yucky & dreary day here. But I have been sitting here reading your back & forth emails and laughing my a55 off! You guys are hilarious! I have never heard of any of the stuff you were talking about, and believe me after some of the descriptions I WON'T be looking for it!
                                         Thanks for making my day!
                                                  Marcia M.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Marcia, you might want to find the thread called "what's for dinner", which is where the marmite discussion started if I remember correctly. It was hilarious.  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Blimey O'Reilly this is an old thread come back to haunt us all aint it ?!?!  bear_tongue

Ahhhhh Marmite...............i cannot live without it. On toast, in a peanut butter sandwich, melted and brushed lightly over roasted potato's (write for the recipe) and basically - i am  a Marmite freak.
I am reassured that it is full of B vitamins and yeast (what the hell is yeast? I used to buy yeast from the butchers for bread making but never asked where or what it came from - probably some nasty process or something - don't tell me please)  and is essentially 'good for you'.
I do hope that the blurb on the jar is telling the truth or i'm well and truly buggered  bear_shocked

PenPen

P.S. Buggered is a socially accepted coloquilism in estuary English girls and is'nt meant to offend anyone.

P.P.S. Estuary English is the commonly spoken/accent of those born in within the London borough's and outer reaches of the river Thames. Just thought i should explain it as it is a very British 'thing'.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Penny, yeast is a fungus, a one-celled tiny thing. Its full of vitamin B and when you make bread you are feeding the little cells with sugar and starch and they produce carbon dioxide gas to raise your bread.  Useful, tasty little buggers bear_thumb Buying it from the butchers? I would expect to buy it from the bakery, but over here we get it in any grocery store.
Yeast infections involve a totally different, albeit related, microbe and I'll shut up now  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

AAAAAAAACKKK . . . yeast infections - yuck!!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

You guys have me cracking up lol.  Kim I can't believe you know our song!  happy little vegemites...it puts a rose one every cheek!  lol.

Bovril..I was brought up on that.  till we had the mad cow disease scare and english imports were banned.  I then switched to Promite, now...i don't know why...I have always Hated vegimite with a vengeance!!  but i now like it...shock horror for me!  i don't know whats come over me lol. 

Penny... :crackup:  the clown cartoon  :crackup:

Jenny...now why did my mum give me malt as well!  I have no idea what it was supposed to do...at least mums were past the cod liver oil phase when i was a kid  bear_tongue

Ovaltine...do you have Milo in America?????  I used to have Horlicks...haven't had that for years tho!

Shelli...if you try vegemite...use butter on your toast..or marg whatever you use...then only a thin scrape of the stuff...not thick or you will be sick!  wonder if anyone can post a photo of how much vegemite has to be put on toast lol

and on a sweet note...NUTELLA!!!!  MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm

Australia
melissa wrote:

Kim

you americans had all the exciting things....I read all the time when I was little and things like graeme crackers, grape kool-aid, Dr Pepper and peanut butter and jelly seemed like magical things to me!  There's still a whole lot of snack foods that books used to talk about that I have no idea what they are!

When I was 12 my sister went away to university.  The city where she lived had a sweet store that used to import all sorts of stuff and I was so excited when she bought me home a jar  of smucker's goober grape pb and jelly.

haha, me too!!  now why does peanut butter and jelly sound so much better than peanut butter and jam!  lol  And there is still that whole twinkie thing lol..why are they sooo good!!

Australia

I didn't realise how old this thread was!  Must have been around the time when I was away from group. 

Shelli did you ever get your vegemite????

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oh Jenny, not you too!  My mum made us eat a spoonful of liquid cod liver oil every day, followed immediately by a dessert spoonful of malt extract!  I loved the malt extract and would even sneak extra spoonfuls out of the big brown jar in the cupboard when mum wasn't around ... but that cod liver oil ... shudder!!!!  I can still taste it now!!!  bear_cry

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

My mum made us eat a spoonful of liquid cod liver oil every day, followed immediately by a dessert spoonful of malt extract!

bear_tongue Me too, Paula, but with no malt chaser! bear_sad

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Urgh!!!  I think we'd be well within our rights to call 'Childline' if it happened these days!!   :crackup:

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I can remember having the malt too, don't know why maybe builing up the iron!!!!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh my where have I been , I thought I had tried every food by now . I was wrong. Never heard of all of this !!! Very interesting  :dance:

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Having an ex-pat BIL - he and my Sis & have dual citizenship - we've been treated to all sorts of goodies like this. I'll pass on the all of the 'mites but Bovril is like our bouillon cubes.
And Ovaltine!! Our folks wouldn't allow chocolate milk either, but an Ovaltine jar didn't last long w/7 kids... The original factory here in the States (the other is/was in Switzerland) is 2 miles away (Villa Park IL) from me!
I was impressed as a kid - looks like something out of Dickens. After selling the company it sat unused for 2 decades and has now been rehabbed into upscale condos.
This different foodie thing makes me think of a pkg we sent off to Germany last week. During the 6 yrs we  exhibited at Teddybar Total, Hennef/Munster, we met very distant cousins sharing our surname. They live quite close to where DH's family has been traced back to in 1620s. They are always sending us huge pkgs of German/European goods//clothes/foods/etc. We were trying to think of things they'd like and hit upon Junk Food last week! Their 10 yo son Kevin will either love them or hate them.
Hazelnuts (noisettes) are big in Europe but it's hard to find a walnut much less a peanut. So among the variety packs of Kellogg cereals and Oreos, Twinkies, Skittles, etc... are Snickers bars and Nutter Butter cookies.
I said to share with his mates at school/neighborhood and if they don't like the peanut items, put them out for the birds! Andreas, DH's cousin/Kevin's Dad, is a dental technician so I cautioned Kevin to eat these slowly (there was enough to last to year's end) and brush his teeth extra well!!!!

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm
rkr4cds wrote:

Hazelnuts (noisettes) are big in Europe but it's hard to find a walnut much less a peanut. So among the variety packs of Kellogg cereals and Oreos, Twinkies, Skittles, etc... are Snickers bars and Nutter Butter cookies.

??????????????????????????? Bobbie, I'm from Germany, live in Sweden, have been to other European countries. I never noticed a shortage in either walnuts or peanuts. Snickers has been my favourite sweets since I was little and its still available. I just watch myself more these days  bear_tongue Don't know those cookies, but I love peanut cookies with whole/half peanuts. I buys walnuts with shell or without in grocery stores both here and in Germany, peanuts salted or unsalted, with spice crusts or roasted in the shell. We also have peanut rings and other types of snacks and peanut sauce is popular with Thai food.
Hazelnuts can be found everywhere, but almonds are actually even more popular. We also have pecan, macadamia, pistache, brazil nuts and lots of other stuff (sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.) Kellogg's cereals are available in a variety of types, I love the one with honey and almonds and the regular. Not sure about the other brands you name, but they may just have different names here.
Its an Americanized world  bear_grin  bear_wub

Amazing what direction this old thread is taking  :crackup:

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hi Sabine!

You've got quite a continental background!! When we travel we always hit the neighborhood grocery stores, to find indigenous foods. Restaurants don't give a true picture of what the local folk eat. And after reading - The Chocolate Wars - on the history of the #1 snack food (followed by Fast Food Nation as #2 'interesting' reading!) we found it very true.
What Belgians like in chocolate is different from the French and French to Swiss and Swiss to Czech etc..  (can you tell we eat our away around Europe!!??) as to sweetness, texture, mouth-feel, melting time.
There are different recipes for the same brand, given different local taste preferences.
I like Mars bars here - did not like them in the UK. And Hersheys is definitely a grittier chocolate than what we got used to in Europe.
So in sending Hersheys and Snickers, etc our cousins may note the difference in them compared to what's available and labeled there as the same candy in southern Germany.

Its an Americanized world

First noted in England - Why, half of these cars are Fords! - but like no Ford we've ever seen here. That opened our eyes 20+ years ago during our first foray into Europe.

I never noticed a shortage in either walnuts or peanuts.

We must have been looking in the wrong places - or you lot ate them all up!

Stellajella Wien

CODLIVEROILPILLS! Oh my, I had long forgotten these!
And I still don´t know, what they were good for! ( Maybe I didn´t have enough, otherwise I WOULD know :crackup: )
Shelli, I can send you some Knott bouillon cubes- might take some time, because I would send them with somebody travelling overseas because I´m 100 % positive: customs would confiscate them from a parcel.

Gaby bear_flower

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This is soo interesting!

here in Canada, we have theses stores "a taste of Brittan"
I love going in there to look at the cool stuff. Neat chocolate bars, and curry stuff. It amazes me all the curry they eat there! We're soo boring over here.
I guess what I think is neat, is that over in Uk they have the same brand names as we do, just different products.
One of my favorite things to do is go into a small international grocery and just walk the isles. Some of that food is soo different it's almost like taking a mini holiday.
i work right outside our china town and I love going into the markets. I find they are really smelly, but that's all part of the experience.

We should do a food swap.........LOL

Board footer