Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original These synthetic challengers are all gorgeous!!

Shari, you lucky thang!!

Karen, your/Shari's kitten is adorable. Cats cannot lose, surely :crackup:

My synthetic just arrived, WooHoo :dance:

it's the Tissavel polar bear white, and it cost me a fortune, but hey . . . I won a half yard of the black on eBay for a song, so it all evens out, right?

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

My fabric has just arrived too!  Yipppeeeee!!!!!

K Pawz Guest

wow Karen your kitten is just adorable and that is so generous of you bear_wub
If you are ever in need of inspiration let me know...I have 11 of my own cats/kittens, and work with an animal rescue, and we currently have 2 fosters cat/kitten along with our 11....up until last Friday we had 16 total in the house, so there is never a lack of adorable poses in our house!!! Our poor dog even thinks he's a cat....

hugs,
Krista

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Yes, Krista, I agree....the kitten is beautiful! Shari.....I'm soooo jealous!
I have 14 kitties.....and am celebrating my 20 th year as a vet. tech.!!! My kitties are all birth defective, blind, three legged......and they have no idea how beautiful they really are!!! bear_wub
  JeannieB bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, now, I forgot to tell you about the "PRIZE" to one lucky participant, didn't I?????  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I'm just kidding! Karen, that kitten is adorable. Shari - how luck you are!

I too understand not being happy or frustrated. I'm also working on my bear..... well, the pattern anyway... so far it's got a proportioned body and limbs but the head......  :doh:  This is going to take a while! I'm using a very lovely synthetic (not my new Tissavel.... couldn't cut into that YET! Gotta get this pattern down first!) so hopefully the fur will distract from the quirks my bear may end up with!!! I'm going through lots of peanut butter M&M's during this process!

Melanie - love that bear. I had some fur very similar to that.... you did a much better job with it than I did!!!

K Pawz Guest

Yes it is truly a challenge...for all those people who double jointed wrists all the time kudos to you!!! I doubt I will try them again anytime soon...but I am in love with my bear so far!!!
Hope to have him on here later tonight or tomorrow...

Hugs,
Krista

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

I must have been distracted by the kitten give away....because I just saw Melanies beautiful bear!!!  bear_wub  He is fantastic....so thick and plush.

Krista....I am waiting for you to post your bear....but, I can't stay awake any longer! I wanted to be the first to say I want your bear....just in case there are two lucky give aways!!!??? bear_grin  If you already love him, he must be adorable. Can't wait to see him.

JeannieB bear_original

K Pawz Guest

sorry it has taken me so long to post his picture guys, and they aren't the best....this guy has sold already...and will be making a debut on some greeting cards in the near future...

Here is Derwood, a 15" tall Grizzly bear, with double jointed neck, hand painted eyes, double jointed wrists, needle felted front paws, and needle sculpted rear paws...and of course his nose is from Nancy's micro nose course......And yes it's a miracle, he can stand on his own!!! No bent knees on this boy!!!

Sorry I made you wait so long, and these pictures do him no justice, but will post better ones when I get some taken...

Bear Hugs,
Krista
derwood1.jpg
derwood2.jpg
Derwood3.jpg

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Karen your kitten is fantastic... Shari you are one lucky lady ... Congratulations lady

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Krista,
Derwood is fantastic! Lot's of new things for you.....I love him bear_wub . What type of fur does he have?
      JeannieB bear_original

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Krista,  he is terrific, I love his blue eyes and his fringe sets his eyes off so wonderfully..

Kent
Website

Christa, he's such fun!  Loads of character!  As for that kitty, oh boy he's going to be a treat for lucky Shari!  bear_wub

I've been playing with my design, I'm using the Tissavel 'rabbit' to start with.  It's a pretty pale taupe solid in colour, but lovely and soft.  I'm going to use some white alpaca and possibly some pale pink Ultra Suede with it.  I have two pieces of synthetic, but as this one grabbed my eye first, I'm going to see where I go with it for the challenge!  My design is drawn out and today is cutting out day ... I'm really looking forward to playing!   bear_thumb

Daphne, do you know when the challenge gallery will be open?

calabear Cala Bear Den
Winnipeg, MB

I won't be entering the synthetic challenge either as I work with synthetic as well.  I wanted to show one of my synthetic bears that i've done though.

This is Quincy and Caspar both made from a really soft synthetic fabric.  Both are 10" and have bent legs for sitting.

Q-C.jpg

carola

K Pawz Guest

Wow what amazing Bears made out of synthetic everyone......Jeannie, Derwoods fur is a longer pile synthetic with black gaurd hairs and a brown undercoat, I picked it up in the imported section in my local fabric store...I was over the moon with this find....I bought a half a meter of it and it is 64" wide, so I will be using it again, Autumn was also made out of this fabric

Hugs,
Krista

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Krista, I love your bear!

Kent
Website

Carola, those guys are lovely!  I don't think the challenge excludes anyone who has used synthetic before ... correct me if I'm wrong Daphne please.

I've used synthetic heaps of times and I love it, so couldn't resist joining in with this challenge.  I'm working on my bear this week ... so far, he's drawn out, cut out, trimmed up, stitched up and now I'm about to start work on the head.  After trimming up the air was thick with filaments, I do wonder if anyone with a chest complaint would be better to use a mask while working with this stuff.  It sure fills the vacuum cleaner up fast too!

How's everyone else getting on with their designs?  I'm itching to know which fabrics you've all chosen to play with!

I see Daphne has put out a plea for a challenge gallery, I'm really looking forward to seeing all the bears together!  bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Carola & Paula:

This Challenge excludes NO ONE!!! Please go to the top of page 1 to reread my first post stating the guidelines for this challenge!

To sum it up..... if you've worked with synthetics before... no problem... perhaps there is a pattern or fabric or technique you've been entertaining but haven't actually tried yet.... now is the time! The idea is to "CHALLENGE" yourself in SOME way. That's all.

:hug:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

000_0854.jpg000_0855.jpg
Hi everyone. Here is my synthetic bear.
The challenge for me was to use this long pile for a not too big bear, 9 1/2 ". I have used synthetic fur before. I got this fabric at San Diego show a couple of years ago and just got "lost" between my fabrics, it is very beautiful, old rose brown tipped, very shiny . I did a lot of trimming on her face to show the pink inner color. I did use clear eyes and color them to mach . I like to customize the eyes sometimes. Her paws are velvet.
Hope you like her. I had fun making her.  Bear hugs and Golly smiles .
Gladys bear_flower

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Gladys, what a beaut bear and the fur colour is devine.  His ribbon around his neck sets him off beautifully.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Thank you Denise. She has just a couple of scrunches ( the ones used to hold hair on people ) around her neck and 3 little heart charms. I love to use the scrunches on bears. it is easy do do, fast and look nice, I think.
Bear hugs and Golly smiles .
Gladys bear_flower

calabear Cala Bear Den
Winnipeg, MB
Daphne wrote:

Carola & Paula:

This Challenge excludes NO ONE!!! Please go to the top of page 1 to reread my first post stating the guidelines for this challenge!

To sum it up..... if you've worked with synthetics before... no problem... perhaps there is a pattern or fabric or technique you've been entertaining but haven't actually tried yet.... now is the time! The idea is to "CHALLENGE" yourself in SOME way. That's all.

:hug:

Sorry Daphne, I should have mentioned why I REALLY excluded myself from the Synthetic Challenge.  I decided at the last minute to go to Octobearfaire in Schaumburg, IL so the lack of time has hindered me.

I am looking forward to all lovely bears everyone is working on...

hugs
carola

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

calabear wrote:

I decided at the last minute to go to Octobearfaire in Schaumburg, IL so the lack of time has hindered me.

hugs
carola

Hooray, Carola . . . I will get to meet you in person at Schaumburg!

Kent
Website

Thumper.jpgThumperhead.jpgDone it.  What a fight it was too!  I can't pretend to have enjoyed working with this particular fabric ... it felt as though everything was conspiring against me and this bear has taken way too long to make!  It's not a fabric I've used before.  I couldn't decide what to do with his feet and didn't like my first attempt, so had to do them again, then I wished I'd used the alpaca for the muzzle too, because the synthetic fur didn't trim up as nicely as I would have liked (usually if I use synthetic fabric, I work either mohair or alpaca into the muzzles).  Still, on the plus side, the alpaca tummy and paws worked out as a nice contrast to the overall colouring.  It's the first time I've waxed a coloured nose (as opposed to brown or black) and to be honest, I don't think I'd do that again because I'm not sure I like the effect.   bear_sad

So, mixed feelings about my challenge bear today!  I hope everyone else has more fun than I did!!  I'm looking forward to getting back to my mohair tomorrow.  bear_original

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh paula, this just may be my favorite bear of yours. No joke.

It looks like synthetic is perfect for your style of super cuddly bears. I want to cuddle this one soo bad!

I appreciate your feedback on the material though, you kinda comfirmed that I thought working with it would be like.

Oh, and I love the color detail on the paws and feet. Very cool!

VermontHarvest Vermont Harvest Primitives
Vermont

WOW PAULA.  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HIM....THE COLORS ARE GREAT..AND ...EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM IS WONDERFUL...I WANT HIM.......

take care
doreen

Board footer