Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

teddy_bears_org USA - Florida
Winney wrote:

Scott,  I agree a lot with you. I have read most  bear purchases are made by women but..who do you think buy the other % ? and perhaps there would be more male purchases IF there were more "male  type " bears to select from?

After giving this more thought it would be fun to guess what kind of bears would that be ? So far we have....
Bears on all fours,  realistic, patriotic,characters, unusual techniques & construction,
I will add Sport theme..(look at Cooperstown Bears. North American Teddies celebrity bears). Also, career/ work  bears, How about bears with teeth and claws that can rip your guts out...LOL..just kidding.Oh yes..you have probably seen; Michelle Lamb's Troubadour and Capt. Neimo , just fabulous male bears.   
Come on yall...can probably think of some more types of bears that would attract the male buyer... Winney

How about bears with teeth and claws that can rip your guts out

Yes!!!!! I love it.. Oh, you were only kidding.. Sigh... lol

Sport theme - College Mascots. College Fans and Alumni Football fans eat this stuff up. Kind of overdone though. Wander, thinking Alumni's would like the more expensive artist versions, not the hallmark or carnival stuff.

See this - http://www.linux.org/info/logos.html - The penguin, if advertised in the right place could be a hit. It is the Linux penguin which, for those who do not know, Linux is an operating system for computers. Linux fans are die hards and linux gals and gals always have penguins at there desks. Someone make penguins? http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTpasha.html <- See this, just did a search for stuffed linux penguins in MSN. I have never seen a really nice one made, I sculpted my own out of clay for my desk. (Maybe advertise in - Linux Magazine, Linux Journal) --- Just so you know Linux is big in USA, Europe, China, Japan. The logo belongs to the community, the owner of the logo just likes to know how it is being used. See - http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/ (Actually, I do not think you need permission)

Bull for the stock market.... oooohhh... :)

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

:lol::lol:Laugh:lol::lol:By crikey you guys are hysterical:lol::lol:
I'm guessing that you all realise how much more you have learnt about each other.
Thankyou Scott especially for the male perspective. My goodness you're a scream.        Laugh.I just about wet my self.:lol::lol:
I love winney's idea. To challenge ourselves by making a masculine bear. Good one winney!!!!!:D:D
Has anyone seen a Peter Weston Bear. They are my absolute favourites when it comes to a grizzly.
To sum all this up.....If someone designs a bear that belches , we're onto a winner!!!:lol:Thankyou for posting. LOVE Ya'S
                                                  Matilda

PS: loved the links scott. especially the penguin.:cool:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

As a collector myself, I'd say it depends on individual taste.  It is a leap of faith because you don't know how well a bear is made until you get it home.  A wellmade bear is a must for me.  I also look at thier cute little faces for expressions:)  Jenn

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Great Scott !!! Oh, that is English or Scottish ?? Well Scott, I enjoyed you humor and the links...gee, I followed the link to the designers web site and found she has quite a few FREE patterns...thank you ...Hey Judi !!!! She has a free penguin pattern too !....Winney

No, it is the German-Irish version of the name Scott! bear_original

As a collector, what I look 4 might be different than anyone else.  I look for bears that speak to me.  Expression is key.  I have a soft spot for a cute expression!  Under no cirumstances should an artist sacrifice thier personal style!  Jenn

As a collector what I look for may be different than someone else.  I look for bears that speak to me.  I look at faces & if I can hug a bear.  As an artist please do not sacrifice your style to be what collectors are lookig for.  Jenn

Lom-Bear-di Cubs Ohio

I've recently found that the accessory you put on your bear has a big influence. I've finished my first 2 silicone/fur bears. Upon sharing their pictures on another site, I was PMed by a collector. Though she complimented the bear, she also disliked that I put a collar on him. She explained it reminded her of a bear kept in a circus. My reply thanked her for the compliment and I assured her the collar is removable. Gosh, I didn't know what else to say!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Matilda

I think others have summed it up well. 
I have a small collection of artist bears (mainly from Australian and New Zealand artists).  In some ways I think we as artists may approach buying a bear slightly differently to some collectors, in that we may have a more critical eye and look not only at the cute face but the workmanship as well.  I look back at some of the bears that I bought when I first got into bears and I would never buy them now but they are still special to my collection and I won't part with them!

I find it interesting to observe collectors behaviour at bear shows. At the MTE in May I was exhibiting along with 3 other friends from NZ.  It was really interesting to watch collectors walk along the row and see what caught their eye.  Different factors appeal to different people.  Even within my own bears, people will bypass my favourite and pick out the bear I've tried to hide at the back!  Don't be discouraged if you have an "off" day at a show or on ebay - some days you win, some days you lose.  I remember talking to a well-known seller who said that she sold 50 bears in 2 hours at one show then the next show she went to, in a different place, she sold only one bear all day.

I usually buy a bear at each show I attend, especially if it's an overseas show - I guess it's my form of souvenir though it's a bit more expensive than a fridge magnet. bear_laugh   I buy bears that are quite different to my own creations.  Usually there is some factor that draws me to a particular bear - it's hard to say what, sometimes it's the face, other times it's the way that it's been accessorised and yes I have been known to pick out th e bear that the artist has hidden at the back! 

Keep true to yourself and let your bears speak for themselves.  I know I have moments when I look at my bears at can't find a thing about them to love - but that soon passes.  Listen to what bearmakers you respect say to you - accept their praise - it is deserved!  bear_laugh

I find it interesting to observe collectors behaviour at bear shows.

Is that what we are zoo animals, something to be gawked at! We are people just like you! LOL, just kidding....

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Is that what we are zoo animals, something to be gawked at!

Well, some of them/us behave like animals!! bear_original  Seeing two supposedly mature women fighting over who saw a bear first is not a pretty sight.

I would pay to see it!

Sounds like the old Disney Doll and Teddy Bear Convention. It was war!

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Maybe I'm just jealous that it wasn't my bear that they were fighting over!!  I did have visions of the poor bear's head coming off in the tussle - they could have had a piece each then  bear_grin

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thanks! -  He was my favourite and hard to let go...hence his starring role on my home page. His big brother is currently under construction

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I find the men at shows always go for my black bears on all fours. One guy hung out at my booth playing with the family of three I had while his wife wandered off. When she came back he told her he wanted the whole family!!!!

Personally, as a collector, the look is what does it. I can zoom in on 'the' bear in a heart beat... it's those eyes, staring at me so sweetly and lovingly saying "I know you, I know your soul, I love you... take me home!"

WEIGHT is a big thing for me. The bear must have substance to it. It doesn't have to weight 20 pounds but it's got to feel like I'm holding something! Get out that steel shot!!! And, though I love a huggable bear I also like it stuffed pretty firmly. No light weight wimps for me!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ya know, it's funny, but actually sometimes a light little softly stuffed feather of a handful of bear can be equally charming as those giant, huggable ones.

Karen O'Brien (Quiet Companions) makes THE most darling little fluffy bits of bear.  They fit beautifully in your hand and are very softly stuffed with the tiniest bit of weight and because they are different and weency they're almost equally satisfying to hold.

I wouldn't want a very floppy, very light bear of any size, though... like the ones you can get for ten bucks at Target, or whatever.  There does need to be a center of gravity, a pull toward earth, to make them really enjoyable for me.

I try to give all my bears "the Kerplunkity factor," which is a huge draw for me as a collector, too.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli wrote:

"the Kerplunkity factor,"

bear_grin  Love that term Shelli!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
melissa wrote:

people will bypass my favourite and pick out the bear I've tried to hide at the back!

The two bears of mine that sold on ebay were my least favorite!!  that is odd, glad it isnt just me!

WA

Again thankyou all for the entertainment.:lol: Shelli I know what you mean about the little fluffy ones having a place. Brigit of "Brigit Bears" makes the most darling wee mink bears. The scissor sculpting she does on their faces is just exquisit(spell?)
Melissa I looovvved that bear of yours . I peeked in the link scott left.  I love the colours.

I always seem to be attracted to the bears  that are of a style I dont make. Like 4 legged grizzlies. I love them. The more realistic the better. I also like substance. When I pick it up I want to be able to feel it. I also like them to be stuffed tight.
I have a very bad habit of pinching the noses of bears. I know its rude. I'll do it in front of the artist. I'm shocking I know but I just cant help myself. It's compulsive. That nose needs to be hard. It's the first thing I check. If it is'nt hard then I lose interest. I'm a shocker !!!I know!!!. I try so hard not to touch the bears.I do. Honest. My resolutions are easily broken when I see a bear that's just dying for a cuddle. ...........Dont hate me...:(:(

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My bears' noses are waxed, Matilda, and you can pinch them if you'd like!!  Just don't poke your fingernail in them! bear_grin bear_grin  And of course, we don't hate you! bear_laugh

WA

It's not actually the nose Nose. it's the muzzle the end bit that the nose sits on. I give it a wee squeeze between two fingers. It's just so difficult to resist. I like it to be really solid.
I think this must be a hanger on thing from when I first started making bears. I was in awe of the proffessional artist bears. They all had these beautiful hard muzzles. It wasnt until I was given a book on bear making that I found out what I was doing wrong. The wrong filling!!!    GO FIGURE!!!! I had no idea there was such a variety.:lol: ooohhh such embarrassment.:lol:

Board footer