Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I'm setting aside my rose colored glasses and Pollyanna attitude for a minute to give you a little insight from one who has won an award this year.   bear_shocked

Shelli wrote:  They are a measure of one moment in time, when one set of circumstances led to one particular bear being noticed in one particular way.

I am ever so grateful to the judges, Teddy Bear and Friends magazine and those who voted for my bear in the 2007 TOBY competition.  I do know, however, that it WAS exactly as Shelli wrote.  That was my one shiny moment in time.  My pictures were good.  My bear was what those voting for liked at the particular moment they voted.  That's all!!

If anyone thinks that awards give them any more than one shiny moment.....you're fooling yourself.  After the shiny moment is gone you are left with tongue wagging and jealousy.  If you win a competition you better have thick skin because not everyone is going to agree with the decided win.   

Hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

lindag Posts: 8

Bottom line where this particular contest is concerned:  It was run very poorly.  A contest should avoid all appearance of impropriety and this one had a real bad smell.  And although I can understand that not everyone has the same taste, the sheer fact that one style bear won 6 awards speaks volumes!!!  The Toby and the Golden Teddy have a variety of winners, although on a rare occasion one artist may win in 2 categories.  But never in 6.  C'mon here.  Maybe I'm the only one who will say this out loud because I am not an artist, but the style and execution of the winning bears bordered on amateur and they have a look like the early style from the 80's when artist teds were just coming into their own.  So there, I said it.  Not that these were bad bears.  It's just that this artist has not paid his dues and has certainly not perfected his craft yet to where he legitimately earned these honors.  There was much superior work to pick from, so please let's not sugarcoat this by saying it's sour grapes, jealousy, different strokes or whatever.    Perhaps the idea of weeding out the first round by professional judging in the future is the best one.  After that, even if it becomes a popularity contest, the bears that win will be worthy of the ribbon.  For the most part, the winners were left behind.   And this will be my final statement on this from my humble point of view.   The people I am standing up for here are those artists who were worthy, have perfected their craft and have paid their dues but lost anyway.  Someone needed to say this and I did.  And I'm glad.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Many of us are VERY glad you spoke up too, Linda, because obviously there's a lot to say on this subject.   People would otherwise not be posting replies!   Your perspective is to be respected and certainly your loyalty is admirable.  And I agree wholeheartedly that those who have perfected their craft certainly deserve reward and notice for their achievements ... and that contests should avoid any appearance of impropriety, absolutely. 

If the URSA stank of impropriety this year, then I hope for their sake and the perceived integrity (or lack thereof) of their contest that they'll repair any broken aspects of their contest for next year, should they choose to run the contest again.

I didn't in any way monitor the URSA's this year.  I didn't enter them.  I didn't vote in them.   I only know who won a few of the categories because of announcements made here at TT or elsewhere.  I have no idea how the winners this year compare with the non winners, so my comments don't come from a place of wanting to defend or oppose any particular person or entry.  My position is simply that, in my opinion, there's nothing inherently wrong with running a popularity contest for bears so long as everyone understands AHEAD OF TIME that there is a POPULAR VOTE aspect to what they're getting into, and that it's not a contest of another type.   

If the URSA folks failed in accurately explaining the way voting works to their artists and collectors, that's up to them to fix, and it makes me very sad indeed for any artists who believed they would be competing on the basis of beauty, technical mastery, originality, etc., vs. what it sounds like the competition really was -- a race for the popular vote.  So, I'm with you on these points, Linda! 

On the other hand... If the URSA folks laid it all out ahead of time, and one person beat the other artists to the punch by campaigning for votes -- well, then, more power to 'em!  One can perceive this as an example of how the contest lacks integrity (and many might, and will, like you do)... but one can also see this as simply a case of, "It is what it is." That way, instead of feeling ripped off or cheated, one can draw conclusions from THAT perspective -- the perspective that, perhaps, it's simply a case of "he with the most online contacts WINS" -- instead.

Those who have posted here are certainly not the only people who have voiced their disillusionment over this particular contest, this particular year.

I have to disagree with just one point you're making, though.  And that is, I don't think "paying dues" has any place for consideration in a competition, unless the competition is the "Which Artist Has Paid the Most Dues" contest, in which case, YES, how long one has been in the industry and how long one has displayed effort and entered contests should obviously be a criteria for inclusion.

If bears in a contest are being judged on the basis of technical mastery and construction, then those most technically masterful and well constructed (however that contest defines "technically masterful" and "well constructed") should win that contest -- regardless of how long the artists creating those bears have been in the field.

If bears in a contest are being judged on originality, then those that are most original (however that particular contest defines "original") should win -- regardless of how long the artists creating those bears have been in the field.

If bears in a conest are being judged on their beauty, then those that are most beautiful (however that particular contest defines "beautiful") should win -- regardless of how long the artists creating thsoe bears have been in the field.

I think it's nice and appropriate to root for those who've paid their dues but people learn their craft at differing rates and I personally wouldn't want to penalize a quick learner -- like, say, Jenny Johnson of 3 o'clock Bears, who has come an immense distance in a very short time -- just because she's been around X years less time than another artist.

Similarly, I woudln't want to reward an artist purely on the basis that he or she has been around for a decade or more.  There is a place for honoring that, but it's not in a contest of this type, or even the GT or TOBY.  Every year, in EVERY contest, there are many, many bears that are beautifully made by expert bear artisans, which get overlooked for reward.  I am not offering pablum or trying to sugar coat what might have happened in the URSA's this year.  I'm just saying, again, that ALL the contests are imperfect, and that every year, in every contest, worthy pieces are overlooked.  And that in every contest I can think of, there is always at least one piece which draws attention with a, "Why on EARTH did that one get picked?" kind of commentary.  It's not exclusive to the URSA contest, by any means... any of this.

What we should have is a Master's Division if we want to talk about "dues paying" as a criteria for award.  Or a "Lifetime Achievement" award.  Now THERE'S something to consider!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

As one of the URSA entrants this year, I'd like to point out that the terms of the contest were clearly laid out from the off.  Like 'em or lump 'em, those terms clearly stated that the awards would be determined by public vote (and I for one, definitely think that concept has sound merit).  All entrants were openly encouraged by the organisers to promote both their own entry and the overall contest.  Now, as I see it, I entered the contest on that understanding and whether my work succeeded in securing a final win, or whether it didn't, it was my choice as a bear designer to participate in the competition.  As such, I don't have any problem with the way the contest was executed simply because I had the facts at my fingertips from the outset and made my judgement to enter on that understanding. 

Yes, it's disappointing not to have one's work rewarded by selection, but that is the nature of competitions after all and if we've any sense, we accept our lot and use the experience gained to progress our work in the future, whilst giving heartfelt congratulations to those who have been fortunate enough to have their efforts publically commended.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Wise Linda summed all of this up so beautifully, I think, when she wrote something REALLY worth remembering, that can serve as a reminder to all bear makers -- especially those who feel, sometimes, like giving up, when a contest doesn't go as they had hoped, and that is:

Your collectors vote you a winner every time they adopt one of your creations.  So, let's hear it for everyone - YAY

puca bears puca bears

Well summed up Shelli - there is NOTHING quite like having someone fall in love with one of your bears......the biggest reward of all. And the knowledge that what we strive to do brings smiles and happiness......not a bad thing in this frequently screwed-up world. I think we are ALL pretty special

huggies
Maria

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

OK.. I also held back, but feel I must comment. On one hand I can agree with the collectors point of view. As a contest entrant, I like to think my entry will be judged on it's merit. I was the URSA Prime winner last year and I truly would like to believe that my entry won on it's own merit. I did not solicite votes from everyone I knew in life. I DID send emails to my customers stating my entries, but asked that they vote for thier favorites. I received many emails from my customers saying how impressed they were over all of the entries and some even gushed over other artists entries. lol... And I didn't ask who they voted for.  My entry won second place in it's category. So I was totally shocked when it won the URSA Prime award. How could that be? I now understand how...  seeing that there were so many entries, the votes were fairly spread out in each category. The final vote was to chose the ONE entry you liked the best of ALL of the winning entries. I certainly would like to think that the votes I received were honestly and deservingly received.   I do understand how some artists and collectors alike would feel upset to think that thier entry did not win because they didn't campaign for votes. But that being said, the URSA competition in particular, the entrants were encouraged to campaign for votes. The winner this year clearly said that a lot of effort was spent campaigning for votes. The winner should in no way be faulted for that.  None of my entries this year made it into the final cut. Sure, I was a bit hurt, and yes, I took it personally for a minute or two.  But will I enter again. YES. I also enter the TOBY's and Golden Teddy's every year. I was happy to receive a nomination one year in BOTH and thrilled to win the TOBY. But again, I have entered every year since and not received a nomination.. but I don't let it stop me from entering. As an artist, it is so important to have our name out there.  The URSA competition and Bears and Buds Webzine is a wonderful tool for all artists to use to get thier name out there.  I know that Valerie does her very best to be fair. I don't know how to make this competition better or fairer (is that a word?) It is what it is. Vote campaigning was encouraged. Some take vote campaigning more seriously than others.  It is a touchy subject and I don't have the answers.. I just thought maybe you would like to hear  from a winner's perspective. I would just die if I thought that people were saying that I won because of anything other than the merit of my entry.

Sonya

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Linda, and thanks for pointing out the URSA imperfections.  As many others, I too am grateful for Valerie's efforts in making Bears and Buds a great showcase for artists.  I expect the problems with the voting will be given much consideration before next year's contest.  I hope a way will be found to showcase all of the entries, but where a professional panel will choose finalists that the public will be able to vote on.  Perhaps there will also be a public choice award or awards that are not determined by professionals.  At any rate, I think the contest is a wonderful opportunity for we artists to challenge ourselves and push the envelopes of our creativity and workmanship.

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

You know I read all this and I am gonna throw my two cents worth in.  I've never been much for entering contests, although this year I've been thinking I may enter one.  I am not even familiar with the one in particular you're talking about.

Anyway over the years we have had this discussion before about all the big contests; to a degree they will always be a popularity contest because people feel within their comfort zone voting for a friend or a name they know.  Sometimes those people are hot at the moment in a lot of areas so they garner votes whether they campaign for them or not.  Also a lot of people just vote for the face of the bear that appeals to them.  They don't really take into consideration how well it's constructed or how originial the pattern is, or even that one person may have spent 172 hours perfecting the pattern, costume, picking seams, embroidering the nose, etc.  While someone else may have spent 12 hours doing theirs.  They just see a face they like or a name they recognize and vote for it.  Many collectors aren't as discerning as you are Linda.  I wish more were, to be honest with you. 

Now from the artist's standpoint, again over the years I have seen people be really hurt by not winning.  I have seen people elevated to a standing where they could seriously over charge for their work as well.  But the thing with being hurt...if an artist is at a show and 400 people walk by their table and tell them how wonderful/cute/original/fabulous their work is and one person comes by and says it's garbage...they are going to remember that one negative comment over all the positive ones.  Sadly artists tend to be insecure, and fixate on things because that's how their brains work. 

Artist's should never, EVER take not winning a contest as a way of measuring the weight of their work.  Even if they think the other people who won didn't do as good of work as they did.   It's such an easy trap to fall into to measure yourself against what everyone else is doing or has done and try to fit into that same niche.  It's also such a mistake because you are trying to compare apples and oranges.  If you look around this site you will see that other than being bears and mostly made of mohair, that's where the similiarities stop.  People have such diverse styles and tastes and thank God cause how boring would it be if we all made the same thing! 

We should work on perfecting what we do, what we believe in as individuals, not what someone else is doing or believes in.  The reason their work is winning or selling is because THEY DO believe in it, perhaps more than the artist that didn't win.   Those people are out there promoting themselves and what they make because they believe their work is worth it. 

The truth is Linda, it's impossible to have a 100% unbiased contest based on quality of work alone because people form friendships with artists and bonds with bears.  So as artists we just have to take it for what it is, put it into perspective and don't take it personally.  For my own personal standpoint...I always try to make every single bear for myself as the measure.  I think to myself that if it doesn't sell, I want to like it well enough that I would be thrilled to keep it.  And you know what, I have never had a single one that didn't sell!  I have had a couple that I have regretted selling...lol bear_cry

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

It was only when I joined teddy talk that I found out or heard about this competition- to be honest I have not even visited the site or whatever  is going on there.

My own experience is that I enter a bear competiton, to get the exposure, to get the judges comments so that I can improve my bear making skills. If I get a placing I am over the moon,however being over sensitive I cant say not get a placing does not make me feel miserable, but then that is life.

Personally I do not like the comp that rely on photographs only and web votes as I often wonder if the pictures are "doctored" with all the new editing programs available also I am sure that any artist who does enter is going to ask all to vote for their bear which is what we normally do- Can it be controlled so that you only make one vote or can I say vote 20 times for a friends bear ?

The TITA in Japan is split into 2- you submit your photographs, from these 5 are nominated. The nominees then have to send the bear to Japan where again it is voted for by selected judges and votes from the public via their magazine.

With the Taiwan Bear comp- we call for the bear to be submitted. At the show a panel of judges- normally two bear artists, a bear collector and a public figure head judge- giving a broad overview of the bears.
We split the marking into various categories- so you are nominated points for the head, jointing, placing of eyes , overhaul appearance etc. These are then counted and the first three places are chosen.
As this competition is growing we will next year ask for pictures to be sent- again like the TITA we will nominate the first 6 bears and then these will have to be sent in to have the final judging.

I think the German TED works on the same principal, first pictures, votes then bears sent in to be judged

I will read thru the post here to gain info on how we can improve the Taiwan comp have to catch a plane and be get myself moving.

Lynette

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Linda I am one that entered said competition and didnt make the cut. I would be lying if I said I wasnt disappointed. But that disappointment only lasted for the very shortest time. My work was and is more than capable of holding its head up publicly. The Ursa awards is a public vote competition. We know that when we enter and we know that, no matter what the outcome.  My critters were seen by a huge number of people. Thats why you enter, to get the collectors to see your work. And where on earth can you get that type of exposure. You're a collector and you found the Ursa awards. You got to see all the wonderful creations. The world is full of some amazing talent.
There was'nt one submission in the Ursa contest that I didnt feel belonged there. They were and are all worthy of being winners. The person that took out the top prize deserves it because of all the time and effort, work and creativity they made over many years to build such a huge fan base.  Its not just handed to you possum, you have to work long and hard for it.
Its a shame that there are artists that are so sensitive that they regard not placing as rejection.  I considered their work worthy. Dont let their reactions Linda cloud the way you look at this award. There arent that many popular vote awards out there. I consider them fun even if a little expensive.
GO URSA'S
Wendy

Ah, it is becoming a little clearer now.  It appears that for the most part, the artists

were

aware that campaigning for votes would determine the winners of this contest.  However, from a mere reader's point of view, we were of the understanding that the "readers would judge and select the winners".  So, we felt that our opinion on the entries were going to be the determining factor.  Perhaps that's what's left a bad taste in the mouth of the collectors.  Since my normal emails and chats are among collectors and not artists, this is where I noticed the overwhelming sense of disappointment.  Most collectors felt snookered into becoming pawns used to steer people to a website instead of participating in judging a contest.  So, from the collectors point of view this was a bad, bad thing for the bear world. 

I can see the artists' point of view as well.  We are looking at the same issue from different angles, which is understandable.  I guess we collectors just didn't like the feeling we were left with when it was all over and we really thought one vote mattered.  When it got around that it was indeed possible to vote over and over again by erasing cookies from the computer, the general feeling of the competition started to change.  And then when the winners were announced, the collectors really felt duped when they learned how it was really won.  That's our point of view.  Some of us aren't really that upset, others are a bit peeved and then there are those who are downright angry.  It's all understandable, I guess.  Maybe in the future they will have us register on the site and then log in to vote to be sure it truly is one person, one vote.

K Pawz Guest

I agree that Yes it was based on "votes" but after hearing that people were able to vote more than once I find it even more disheartening...Don't get me wrong I am not saying that all the wins and votes were not honest ones, I am just disappointed to find out that some found away to tip the table unfairly. But that is the game we play I guess when we enter into anything online, I for one will keep entering, but will no longer allow these things to make me think that my work is somehow inferior to others, just that the views were not in my favor for my one shining moment at that time....as a wise person said, we win everytime someone adopts one of our babies.

Hugs,
Krista

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

lindag wrote:

Most collectors felt snookered into becoming pawns used to steer people to a website instead of participating in judging a contest.  So, from the collectors point of view this was a bad, bad thing for the bear world. 

... Maybe in the future they will have us register on the site and then log in to vote to be sure it truly is one person, one vote.

I didn't understand your point clearly until just now, Linda.  I see much better now what you were trying to say.  In essence... You're saying that collectors felt that, as regular readers of B&B and lovers and collectors of teddy bears, their votes (and possibly those of a few others who would wander in and check out the entries) would determine the URSA winners.  Instead, it sounds like many collectors were left feeling like a bunch of random strangers (who may or may NOT love or collect bears) swooped in and "spoke up", rendering the votes and opinions of actual bear collectors and B&B regulars almost invisible in the process, and leaving them feeling misused to boot, as unsuspecting marketing agents for B&B. 

Also, it sounds like you've heard that somehow, people could vote more than once from a given computer.  I admit, I'm kinda a buckethead when it comes to that kind of computer stuff (I can make pretty pictures but don't ask me how to actually FIND a file on my hard drive!), so repeat voting as a problem with this contest never occurred to me and I hadn't heard that it was being done before you mentioned it just now, actually.  If that actually happened -- if people really and truly did "cheat" the process -- well, that's particularly disillusioning; I agree 100%.

I certainly understand much better now where you're coming from, and the other collectors to whom you've spoken, too.  No wonder you felt irked and even, misused by the process!  It really is a different framework from which to view the contest, and you're right; it looks different, depending on where you stand.

I really, really hope that, to avoid this outcome in the future, somewhere, something is changed in the way this competition runs, so that all appearances of impropriety can be avoided, and both artists AND collectors -- who, let's face it, are the root and foundation of what keeps this industry alive!; they're THE most important thing, in my book! -- can feel valued and heard and GOOD about outcomes.

As for your suggestion about logging in to vote, I think it's brilliant.

bear_flower

Kelly Blondheart

Yup, like Shelli, I didn't realize that was what the issue was either.  I am surprised someone would set up a contest where people could vote multiple times.  That seems a bit unfair.  bear_sad

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

It wouldn't have occurred to me that anyone could vote more than once ... I hope that wasn't the case and that the organisers can confirm that to allay any concerns.

I'd like to speak up at this point for the collectors drawn by artists to the URSA's to vote.  Whether they were canvassed or not, I am sure they voted willingly and carefully.  After all, whilst we artists can promote the awards via mailing lists and so on, we really can't ensure that our collectors vote for our work, all we can do is draw their attention to the fact that a competition is taking place .. which as far as I am aware, is the point of the exercise and brings me full circle.  Many of my collectors wouldn't have known about the URSA's (It was the first time I'd entered), or indeed about the Bears 'n Buds website, had I not contacted them, but by responding to my request that they visit the URSA's, they have been able to enjoy a celebration of our craft, which for me, has to be the point of the exercise.  After all, competitions (as I said earlier), serve to promote our niche industry and bring it to as broad an audience as possible, which if we want our industry to thrive, is a much more important element of our bear world than who wins what.

puca bears puca bears

I'll second that, Paula!
huggies
Maria

Nope, I have no vested interest at all.  In fact, I found this thread through the Bears and Buds website and decided to speak up.  It appears however that most of the users in this blog are artists and now that my posts have started to draw out nasty accusations, I am put in a tough spot here.  If I respond, I risk furthering these kinds of responses which I don't think is appropriate.  If I go away, I risk appearing as though these accusations are true.  I said what I felt in my heart and althought it took some guts, I'm glad I did as I stated before.  I've assuaged the feelings of a lot of people who didn't understand the contest.  So, for that it was worth it.  Now that ugly accusations are being thrown, I don't think this thread needs any more comments as this will simply encourage more of the same.  We've said what needed to be said in the proper tone and maybe enlightened a lot of people for the good.  There was no deceit on my part and it's sad that this would even cross someone's mind.  I still think bear people are as a whole, much sweeter and lovlier than I found in the doll world.  Thanks guys and keep up the good work!

brtstar1 Bright Star Promotions, Inc.
Louisville, KY
Website

FrontPage-Oct-NEW300.jpgCongratulations to all the URSA Winners and contestants.

I will be responding to HOW THE URSA AWARDS CONTEST WORKS in another posting or on Bears&Buds' website but did want to say that, as in ALL contest it is up to the voters to determine the winners. We made that perfectly clear from the beginning.

We attracted many new viewers/voters to the contest and introduced them to our wonderful world of bears and bear artists. That is one of the purposes of the contest and a positive tool to keep the bear market active. Bright Star Promotions has been actively pursuing this effort for over 20 years, and now with Bearsandbuds, our online monthly magazine, we continue to put the spotlight on artists and bear collecting.

The software we used was geared to one vote per category, per computer. Daily the votes were audited for accuracy and authenticity. Multiple votes from a single IP address were eliminated. We received over 34,000 votes in both rounds of voting from 105 countries!!

Site traffic increased the day of the URSA Awards announcements and our servers closed us down for a couple of hours. This also generated additional site bandwidth fees of $458. The URSA Awards entry registration fees go towards buying awards, gifts and site developers fees.  Those thinking that we are making huge sums of money, I'd like them to become our bookkeepers. 

Have people forgotten that last year's contest had several contestants who won multiple awards, some up to 5 awards!  And those noted artists are doing very well with their sales nowadays. The more awards the more recognition an artist has in this very competitive world.

We encourage you to ‘think out of the box’ in this ever changing world of publicity, advertising and sales. This is the age of communications and that’s how web sites generate interest.

We thank you for your comments and compliments. We encourage you to send us your thoughts and ideas; email directly to: editor@bearsandbuds.com or bearsandbuds@aol.com

Valerie Rogers
Publisher/Executive Editor
Bearsandbuds.com DBA Bright Star Promotions, Inc.
Registered in Kentucky since 1981
(502) 423-STAR
3428 Hillvale Road
Louisville, KY 40241-2756

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Thank you Valerie for taking the time to address the concerns & worry regarding contest deceit or voting impropriety. You've reiterated the rules and expectations of the awards and if IP address duplications were eliminated other theories are now void as well.  It's good to have the facts, especially when business and artist reputations are called into question within a public arena.

Thank you again.
:hug:
~Chrissi

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I really, really hate to have to post this as it seemed like everything was being wrapped up so nicely, but I feel like a computer geek answer is needed at this point.  This method of culling duplicate votes by IP address does NOT work well.  (One of the many reasons we don't vote for important elections... like government elections... online.) 

There are two types of IP addresses, static and dynamic.  That type of IP culling works well for people with static IP address.  I have one of these with my DSL connection.  However... people on dial-up and cable connections (like ALL RoadRunner clients) have a DYNAMIC IP address.  Each time you connect to the internet, you get assigned a different IP address.  Unfortunately, this includes A LOT of people on the Internet right now.

I could point out a million references on this, here's one from Wikipedia and a snippet of quote from it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

In the past, an IP address could be considered a unique identifier of a particular IP host, in addition to being a locator. When it was usable as an identifier, it was static, and it was assumed to be globally unique from end to end of the Internet.

In current practice, an IP address is less likely to be an identifier, due to technologies such as:

* Dynamic assignment, as with an address that is assigned by the access device by which the user's host connects over a dialup telephone line or by a set-top box for an IP over cable network. However the network provider maintains a database of which IP address was assigned to which access port on dialup, or MAC address on LANs or broadband networks. This information, assuming it is available to the investigator, may help to identify the computer, although that is unlikely if it was a dialup connection where the identifier is of the dial-in port, not the computer itself. More extensive forensic work, with access to telephone records, may identify the calling telephone, although that may itself be a "cutout" on the way to the real telephone.
    * Network address translation (or NAT), a feature common on gateway routers in corporate networks or home LANs, where the address visible to the Internet is the "outside" of a device that maps it to a completely different and hidden address on the "inside". See IP Address Translation, below.

Sorry folks, but I felt this needed to be understood.
Best wishes,
Kelly

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Congrats on your win Ed! I especially loved your hare.
I also feel that this thread has gone on and on and should be cut!

Marion

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

CAT-MIRROR.jpgWow.  This has been an emotionally charged thread. I am not one to post long threads but I thought I would post a thought or two:

I feel the same way about many of the posts here so I won't repeat any of that except for what Kelly said about not being defined by a contest.  Not everyone can win every contest but if you like to enter then pick one that fits you and your work.  For example:

The Golden George Awards require pieces less that 15" so if you make bears larger than then this would not be for you.

The TITA ia great contest for all sizes of bears and animals.  If you are nominated then your piece is sent in.  It's not judges in person but rather all the pieces are photographed on the same background to level the playing field, then they are voted on by the public.

If you want your piece judged by a panel of judges and not the public then think about the British Bear Awards.

If you have the resources of a lot of people to support you by internet voting then the URSA may be right for you.

The of course we all know about the TOBY and Golden Teddy's firstly decided by judges then publically voted on.

And there are others too that I am not familiar with.

If you don't get nominated or don't win, keep trying or pick a different contest....or don't enter at all.  Maybe these aren't for everyone.

I congratulate anyone who has ever been nominated or who has won an award because it is a magical feeling.  Also know there are other ways to feel magic too.  Making something beautiful with all the passion in your heart and knowing that it came from you is magical. 
  Winning contests does not a better artist make.  What matters most if how you see yourself.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Ed, I posted only in regards to IP addresses.  I have not posted in regards to anything else in this conversation, and will not.  I most certainly am not engaging in a "who done it".  I did not enter the URSAs, did not vote in them, and have no vested interest in their outcome.

I'm not even certain why you are mentioning your friend at Turner Broadcasting.  Did Valerie use some sort of Turner-created polling software?  All polling software is created differently, just like all graphics software is created differently, and so on.  Any decent polling software will try to eliminate multiple votes from one person, ballot stuffing would be the old term.  The most common ways to identify this is by using things like IP address checking, cookies, or some other 'identifying' thing such as email addresses.  The point is that those can ALL be worked around.  I doubt you know what software Valerie is using any more than I do.  All I can go on is that she stated that duplicates were thrown out as determined by IP address.  I responded to that and only that, as people do need to understand that while that is a very common way to check individual computers, it is hardly foolproof.

By the way Ed, can you show me documentation stating that the FCC has some sort of control over the Internet, or polling done on it?  And your statement about self-appointed guardians... I have no idea what you are talking about, was that in reference to me?

Best wishes,
Kelly

Kelly Blondheart

Isn't it possible that the person who runs the site simply didn't stop to think about people cheating by voting more than one time?  Maybe they simply believed bear people to be honorable.

Or maybe they didn't realize that clearing cookies or people who have dynamic servers would allow for multiple votes.  I am sure they know now.  Maybe it's simply no ones fault.  I don't think we need to start pointing fingers and laying blame as if it was a malicious plot perpetrated by the artists or the site owner or anyone else.  What if the site creator reads this and decides to do away with the contest all together?

The contest is over and I am sure that the people who won had quality work that deserved an award.

(Also please remember there are two Kelly's posting on here, I was wondering why Ed was saying these things to me for a minute  :doh: )

Board footer