Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

When you are designing an open mouth bear do you design the snout of the bear to be flat on the bottom - the chin area or do you just work with the same head shape as bears without an open mouth???

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

The library has a lot of info addressing open mouths.  It is the little smiley waving his arms right above your avatar.  Just scroll down and click on "mouths".

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

jane some i saw what they do is that they draw the head the way you would do any bear, than cut an opening afterwards, than they would insert a ultra suede into the mouth.... and sew it up... i saw a book " teddy bear making encyclopedia" is pretty good even the one by Tillberg (hope i spelled her correctly) have lots of information as well.... hope this helps....

:hug:

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I want to do the kind of open mouth that is added on as a separate chin piece.  I did look at some of the info that you pointed to me Sue Ann - thanks for that I keep forgetting that it there.  However I haven't seen anything about the shape of the chin for an added on mouth yet.  I will keep looking.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

oh we did that with our japanese instructor.. she cut a small part where the mouth is suppose to be, than insert a 2 small pieces (sewed) like a toungue shape and insert it in between the opening.

when u find the center of the chin, make sure to put lots of pin, than you sew the way you usually sew .. ill see if i can find it... my first try it was kind of slanted bec i did not center it.... ill add the pic of what we did and maybe this is what you are want?

:hug:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hi Jane, my open mouth designs are the same head shape when drawn as bears without an open mouth.  With a slit cut in to form the opening of the mouth.  So there is no separate piece added for the chin. You use a oblong shaped piece of suede insert  to form the mouth.

I have seen artists do what you are after, with a separate chin, perhaps try some of the books by Nancy Tillberg or perhaps Jennifer Laing - Maybe!!

I have added a chin by felting it in before with a normal head shape, you can use pipecleaner or florist wire as your base  to form a  U shape to sit underneath the chin, then felt and build up around it to the desired requirements and look your after.

Hope this helps, goodluck.  bear_original

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Jane, this site has a great tutorial for doing the type of open-mouth bear you want to do.

http://www.monicasattictreasures.com.au/

Marion

Board footer