Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Thea-MillyMe Milly MeĀ®
Website

I was wondering what I must do to give NEW mohair and antique felted look. I have heard you can
use the washing machine and tumble dry the mohair.

At what temperature should I wash the mohair in the washing machine and what if I use the dryer.
I have open sparse mohair which I dyed with coffee. The colour is perfect but the mohair didn't felt
as much as I wanted. I've washed it at 30 degrees (European temp.)
I've never done this before and was a bit scared to use a higher temp.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry .

Who has tips & trics..........????? Love to hear about your experiences.

Hugs,
Thea

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I don't know about "felted", but I've used sandpaper on new mohair to make it look a bit older.  Just be gentle so you don't weaken the backing!

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I pluck patches of mohair out as I have found that using the drier tends to make it even fluffier and it seems harder to make it clump or lie down.  I also have used one of those foamtype nail buffer things which works well on breaking down some of the fibres which makes it looked aged as well.  Starting off with a sparse mohair helps as well.

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

I know one bear artist (not me) who has actually tied a bear on the back of her car & dragged it up & down her street to achieve an older look.  I have rubbed a bear on the cement or on bricks to "antique" it.
I also shave & pluck......
Hope this helps.
TTFN
Amy

Board footer