Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Oh dear! What a story!
The lattest update said that hope is going well and they showed a photo of her feeding at one of the feeding points.  :dance:

Let's hope little Hope will stay around to get the food given by the bear center people... and that eventually Lily will remember she has a daughter to look after. that is really strange this does not seem to care much about hope. Sounds like "out of sight, out of heart".  bear_cry

Hopefully, the bear center people will install her a radio collar to keep a caring eye on her.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
lapousmor wrote:

The lattest update said that hope is going well and they showed a photo of her feeding at one of the feeding points

Hope.jpg

I told myself a thousand times I wouldn't let this story get to me ... but here I am checking every new post on FB.  bear_cry

I pray that this story will have a happy ending ...  :pray:

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I saw that this morning, bless her heart!  bear_cry  bear_cry
I know what you mean Peter, you can't help falling in love with little Hope! bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

sylvia bjb blue jean bears
Website

I feel the same way.............I'm praying there will be a happy ending to this story. She is so tiny and all alone. :pray:  :pray:

:hug:  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wonderful update from Sue Mansfield:  http://www.facebook.com/notes/lily-the- … 477?ref=mf

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

Peter & the bears I said the same thing to myself, but I'm watching everyday 10 times a day. Thank god Hope is okay, Lily taught her well.
I believe she will be fine, I was a little worried because of the rain.

Hope and Lily Fan

Louise

lemon wolf bear 1 Lemon Wolf Bears
Northern MN.
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub Happy Happy day!!!!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
News is even more encouraging  now!!  In celebration, if the weather holds out, we are taking our Grandson to the Bear Center Monday, of course we won't see Hope, but just to be in the area will feel great! I think we will also make Hayden a member, what fun!!  Haven't seen "the three bears" in the "fur" since last Fall, so it will be great to go back. Lots of thankful Hugs to all, especially the Facebook group, all that prayer power just had to work! Hugs, Susan. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Our little Hope made my day!
I am so glad she is doing well and stays around the red pine tree. She looks like a little clever girl. With so many guardian angels looking after her, she should be alright... bear_original

I also check many times a day to get some news about Hope and Lily. I still wonder what crossed Lily's mind when she split from Hope.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

puca bears puca bears

Still good news about Hope! When I think back to the utter gloom last Sunday.................
Little stinkerbelle has a long way to go yet, but one day at a time, she's getting there bear_wub  bear_wub
huggies
Maria

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Maria, doesn't she look fabulous - I'm going to try and make a miniature  Hope, possibly for a raffle.  May I email you for advice on how you did your raffle?

hugs,

Brenda

puca bears puca bears

Hi Brenda
no worries - just ask about raffles - me being the expert (lol) . It was very much a play it by ear thing - but it worked............and now's the time to do it with the anon. donor's contributions!
I'll look forward to your little Hope........BIG ears(!) and all! Can't get over the size of her ears!!!!!
And I just launched another raffle today.......I'll post more about it here tomorrow...........
right now I NEED an early night!
huggies
Maria

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I know I said I was going to walk away from this, but I haven't.  I have still been checking on FB several times a day.  I think I realized that Lily is not feeling those motherly emotions that us humans would feel if a child was lost.  It really was Lily I was feeling so bad about, not Hope. 

Well anyway I found a video today of the capture of Hope after the first time Lily left her.  What a feisty little girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGdhxabz … r_embedded

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Joanne wrote:

I think I realized that Lily is not feeling those motherly emotions that us humans would feel

That idea is what's so intriguing to me at this point, and it may be how I'm staying at least a little bit rational about the whole situation.  bear_grin

It's pretty clear now that neither bear experiences life the way we do, and that our human emotions aren't very helpful in imagining what they're going through. I was probably also using my pets as a measuring stick, and that's not fair, either. They're domesticated animals that have bonded with human beings.

So what do these wild animals think and feel? I'm just going to have to keep watching to find out more...

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

You know through all of this Becky I too have been looking at my pets and telling them I would never abandon them.  I know it's silly be it kind of gives me somewhere in the animal kingdom I have some control.

A couple of weeks before this whole mess happened a friend of ours lost her 7 year old son in a car accident.  Seeing her suffer and grieve I know I was putting her human emotions on Lily, obviously this is not the case.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, Joanne -- your friend must be absolutely devastated. I'm very sorry to hear about her loss.

Becky

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've been rather ticked at Lily's lack of motherly instincts since the first time she wandered off. She didn't really expect a rambunctious cub to stay in one place for DAYS did she? It's almost like Hope was more of a playmate... not someone she could take responsibility for. We'll never fully understand because we're not bears. But I have to say that now my heart breaks everytime I see a picture of Hope or think about her all alone in the woods. Here I am applying human emotion to a wild animal but I should think she'd feel so unwanted, orphaned, lost, lonely. The poor babe's mother left her. I look at that sweet innocent face and want to cry.

Although I have mixed feelings about the whole human intervention thing I'm glad, given the current situation, that Sue and Dr. Rogers are taking such good care of her!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Daphne wrote:

I look at that sweet innocent face and want to cry.

You've got a good heart, Daphne. There's something wrong with people who can't feel empathy for another creature. On the other hand, bears must experience life very differently than we do.

On the Facebook site, there's a discussion called "A letter to Lily." The writer puts some of these thoughts into words, and ends up being very understanding toward Lily despite her apparent lack of maternal feelings and good sense. I think it's worth reading.

Now, if only Hope would find a furry forest friend to have fun with...

Becky

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

First of all.... I cry when I watch The Fox and the Hound... I hate to see lonely/orphaned animals... cartoon or real! LOL!

I try to stay as uninvolved in the discussions on the fanpage as possible. There's been way too much drama there. So I hadn't seen the letter to Lily you talk about. And I really try not to think toooo hard about it all. It's just when I see a picture of that sweet face when an update is posted it hits me. There's been talk on the fanpage (or was it here... see I don't pay quite enough attention to keep it all straight) about Lily having a screw loose and it was also mentioned in research documentation that 3 yr old mother bears are flighty so Lily's behavior could be fairly normal. What ever her reasons there's a 4 month old cub without a mom and alone without a single wild animal friend, protector, etc and to me it's just sad. I'm well aware, as I said above, that we can't fully understand the situation because we're human, not wildlife, so yes, I completely understand that Lily and Hope experience things differently. I wish a lot of the highly emotional, over-the-top fans on Facebook got that too!  bear_rolleyes  But it shows they have big hearts at least.

NancyL123 Nancy's Menagerie
New York

30535_431773875498_263755115498_6238493_6455247_n.jpgLook at the latest photo of Hope! Isn't she just gorgeous and proud looking??

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

She is beautiful!!!  bear_wub  And doing great!!!  :dance:

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Awwwwwwww she's so beautiful!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Hugs,
Janice

puca bears puca bears

Hope is doing so well, isn't she? But I think all of us would like to see her WITH  an furry friend, be it Lily or maybe one of the lonely yearlings (Ty?).........it's impossible not to worry about her being alone and so vulnerable. As for Lily, i really DO think it was all hormonal - five days of separation, and her milk all but dries up - and the hormones tell her it's time to go and look for another mate. Nature demands that the mother protects herself above the cub .........she can, and must have more. Sad (for the cub) - but that's the way it seems to go.
I feel too, that Lily is lacking in confidence - which will (hopefully) come with age............
huggies
Maria

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Doesn't Hope just make your heart melt.....  I have just been onto the usual website and saw the latest picture of Hope and it all just brings tears, instantly, even though I usually prepare myself for the worst before going onto the site and tell myself not to get so emotional. She is just one adorable little bear with the most magnificent ears, who has totally captivated me.  It's so sad that she is all alone with no-one to cuddle up to for warmth ...  but ...  she is showing such courage and character I think for such a little fur-ball and I am sure she will grow up to be one big proud Mum herself one day.

I was just reading Lyn's update where he was wondering what to call his next book, the title of "It's me, bear" was suggested.  How absolutely perfect is that, brilliant.  To those readers who do not follow Lily and Hope, this is what Dr. Lyn Rogers says to the bears as he approaches them so that they readily identify him.  He has the most soothing voice and when he says this to the bears, well, I'm off on another tear session!!  Is there any help for me!!!  I should have shares in Kleenex!!!

Here's to little Hope, she's a winner and a star. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Hugs to all,

Marilyn bear_flower  bear_flower

puca bears puca bears

You and me both, Marilyn.............many tears, both sad and happy have been shed over Hope and Lily! But we're not alone --- I bet the Lily/Hope fans have upped the sales of tissues world wide!
And yes - doesn't Hope look GOOD? Those ears really ARE something! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
And now Lily has been seen with a male..........love is in the air!
Who needs TV soap operas?
huggies
Maria

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I came in late on the Hope story. I am so glad I did not read about it until she was found and fed! My question is why don't they capture Hope and raise her in captivity. This way we know she will be safe. Will she really every be able to be wild without an adult bear to teach her?  What about other wild animals that can hurt her? It is a philosophical debate about letting nature take it's course but I've always marched to my own drum so that is a bunch of hooey when it comes to saving a little life. I'd vote to bringing this little sweetheart in to a refuge and try to teach her skills that will enable her to go back into the wild when she is old enough to feed and defend herself. It also allows us humans get a good nights sleep...

Board footer