Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Judi, I noticed you are on, don't know if you have done this but I figured I would ask.  I have a real fur bear that I need to change and I don't know what to change on her... I don't like how she is currently.  Is it possible to needle felt onto real fur??? I am afraid that all that repetitious poking will cut her muzzle off... any idea?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

You betcha kimmy...I'll be right back.....

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ozzie_02.jpgI'm back....I have my darling little three-year-old climbing all over me right now.  It is like a circus here!

Okay, needle felting onto real fur.  I would not recommend it.  HOWEVER, there are ways to get the needle felted effects without actually poking into the real fur.

Here's a photo of a genuine alpaca fur bear Ozzie, with needle felted face, inner ears, and paws.  What I did was to piece in fabric on the face and paw pads  where I  wanted to add the needle felted details on the face.  It blended in nicely with the real fur.  If I were to poke my needle into the real fur it would tear it up and I don't think it would be securely attached to the bear.  Ya with me?

I am a firm believer in "if you don't like it..change it."  IE...Narni ( she sends you a big hug by the way :hug: ).

This is what I would suggest you do.  First of all, detach yourself from any emotional feelings of this bear...because what I am about to say is not pretty........ you will need to cut off your bears face and replace it with fabric.  Hand sew it in place.  Don't worry about how it looks as you will be covering this with beautiful needle felted details.  Think of it as an inset muzzle.  Use your original pattern to cut the fabric.  Cut out the sides of the muzzle and the nose top gusset.  Then start needle felting right onto the inset fabric.  It will work. 

I hope I am making sense.  If not, please tell me and I will very happy to help you.  I love fun projects like this.  What challenge.  Just be patient...and your bear will be the patient. bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ozzie_01_edited-1-1-1.jpgOzzie_04.jpgHere's another angle.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Okee dokee... this is the little mink bear Holly... I was going to sell her to a coworker but I havent done it yet.... I am not yappy with her and dont want to send her out as is....  Well, what am I saying, you recently went through this as well! LOL HI NARNI!!!!!  :hug:  LOL

She was my first real fur bear and she is sooo very plain... i need to add to her...

what if I needle felt and then sew it to the face... would that work?  I dont want to give her a "face-ectomy" if I don't have to... I am scared to do that to tell you the truth LMAO...

Your instructions were easy to understand... and if that is the way I have to do it that is fine just scared to do something so "drastic" to her being so small and all LOL.... I am going to watch my movie right now... The Boogyman is on and I want to watch it but I will be back on afterwords... probably with all the lights on in the house LOL...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ya know, that is a thought too.  Sewing it on after you felt it.  You could always try that.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  See...we're brainstorming here.  Cool!  Let me know how it works out for you.  Enjoy the Boogieman!  I'm off the watch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with my kids. :dance:

HAPPY NEW YEAR (first year we're not Ballroom dancing...no sitter)

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

It was an ok movie... I have seen scarier... LOL

IT IS ALMOST NEW YEAR!!!    :hug:

Board footer