Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Kim--I've been counting on those beautiful grandchildren since I first met Monty--short for Muntashir.

He's Bangladeshi, or Bengalese--there's some difference that I don't understand. Since his father was with the diplomatic corps, he managed to get himself born in Poland! Still loves the food.

He's been in the US since his high school days, & holds two degrees in physics from University of Rochester.

Here's a pic of their gorgeous wedding party: my three daughters and Monty's scrumptious little sis Monowara, plus Monty's two best men--two of the funniest kids I've ever known, with a few drinks in them--

ElMon89760016Web.jpg

Thanks for giving me the chance to brag a little more!  :hug:

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

What a beautiful wedding party!!!!!  I have a real thing for men with darker (permanently tan!!!) complexions!   bear_wub  Though Monty is Bengalese... he truly looks like he would fit right in with my husband's family.   Here's a pic of my husband and I on our wedding day..... I am actually the tannest I have ever been in this picture.... in reality, I am practically translucent... more like my user pic..... Anyway.... we had a Coptic Orthodox (Egyptian Christian Ordodox) wedding, which is like 2 hours long....!   bear_wacko  Thankfully, the bride and groom get to sit through most of it... in a throne no less!  And we get to wear jewled crowns!  Talk about neat!!!! 

137672477.jpg

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Gasp! What a Gorgeous Hubby and what a Gorgeous Ceremony!

Eleanor would have loved a crown  bear_laugh --just her style!

The young couple agonized over what to do about the religious aspect of the ritual, since Monty's a lapsed Muslim and Eleanor's a non-church-going, but more-or-less Christian.

Once they were sure that neither Parental Unit would freak out, they decided to ask Eleanor's Dad to read two passages on Love, one from Kahlil Gibran and one from John's Epistles--his British accent added a nice touch to an already multicultural celebration!

They also opted for a ceremonial mixing of different colored sands, white for her and blue for him. It went quite well, considering that the Best Men had dropped both sand vials on the floor before the ceremony, and had to
scrape up and separate the colors as best they could . . . not to mention picking out the carpet fluff!

Eileen

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

You are soooo lucky to have a wonderful talented daughter Eileen, but i bet you knew that anyway ha ha
:dance:

Fabulous piccies - i love piccies here at TT

Congratulations to Eleanor and to you too Eileen  :hug:  bear_thumb  bear_flower

Penny  bear_wub

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, Penners!  :hug:

Things like this make me forget the late-night feedings, soggy diapers, rushes to the emergency ward, overdue homework projects, sitting there praying she's only late and not lying dead-in-a-ditch somewhere, vile creepy boyfriends, thousands spent in voice lessons that she's abandoned, and all that junk that she left in my basement!!

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Eileen...
  We went for a bit of fabulous multiculturalism at our reception... though there wasn't too muach say-so in the ceremony itself.... by it's very definition.... 'Orthodox' doesn't change a whole lot!!!   bear_laugh   I was over the moon when I found out  I'd be sitting in a throne and waering a crown though!!!!  My very own princess fantasy come to life!   bear_innocent

We had a belly dancer at our reception which shocked the pants off my 80 year old grandmother, who thought she was a stripper!!!!!!  And the Orthodox Egyptian crowd was utterly stunned when my husband lifted my dress to remove the garter from my leg and toss it!  I LOVE multicultural weddings!!!!!  They are so much fun!!!!   bear_wub  bear_smile  bear_wub     
The mixing sand idea sounds lovely!!!!  We were allowed to light a unity candle at the very end of our ceremony.... I didn't even get to say "I DO" though... in Egypt, it doesn't matter if you "do" or your "don't".... It's ALL up to the parents of the bride and groom!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original What an incredible experience--I didn't even notice the throne!

Sometimes I find I'm all in favor of arranged marriages. At other times, I consider what my parents would have locked me up with . . .  bear_cry

Here's a multicultural wedding that didn't sit so well.

My dear friend and neighbor Kathy got 2 weeks' notice of her daughter's wedding in Africa. Chrissa had gone there to do some Peace Corpish work, and fell in lovebear_wub

The frazzled parents hustled to get shots and documents, gird themselves with respectable clothing, etc. etc. and tore across the ocean-- to find themselves in a small agricultural village without indoor plumbing, where nobody spoke English. The family was very sweet, and treated them like royalty, but they were in a state of helpless shock.

At the ceremony, Kathy was politely stripped of her expensive but tasteful Mother-of-the-Bride Outfit and wrapped crown to toe in a length of local fabric. She won't talk about it beyond that. Won't even tell me what color it was.

"At least," I said, your new son-in-law must have a wonderfully melodious name."

It turns out that after all that, his name is Christopher Smith. 

Eileen

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Thanks, Lisa!

It's such a relief when they don't go down in flames, and actually land on their feet!

I've got a number of high school students in my tutorial stable right now, most of their parents convinced that their apparently brain-dead adolescents are doomed to 'Ya want fries withat?' futures. It's amazing what a bit of one-on-one can do for these kids when they hit a brick wall in English.

My beautiful little Chinese biochemist just got into Columbia and U of Chicago!! Her Dad's up here over the moon with me, at least until he starts paying tuition!

Eileen

Pages:

Board footer